PDA

View Full Version : Dave Martinez

ScottyTheSoxFan
01-03-2003, 09:12 AM
retired (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030102cubssoxmartinez,1,2802389.story?coll=cs%2Dwh itesox%2Dheadlines) yesterday. its too bad he was out all of his last year. he was one of my favorites to watch when he was with us.

kermittheefrog
01-03-2003, 09:39 AM
Dave Martinez was awesome, one of those guys that didn't wear batting gloves for some reason. I remember him hitting a grand slam home run in the ninth inning to win a meaningless game since we sucked when he was around. I can't really remember what team it was against. I was 12 or 13, my pre-stathead days. I still liked guys who walked a lot and got on base though. A friend of mine who is a friend of the Dan Evans family told me that Martinez was traded because he slept with other players wives.

Viva Magglio
01-03-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
A friend of mine who is a friend of the Dan Evans family told me that Dave Martinez was traded because he slept with other players wives.

I should point out that this allegation was in relation to Martinez being traded by the Cubs to Montreal for Mitch Webster. The longtime, widespread rumor was that he and Rafael Palmeiro (who was also traded mysteriously, as you recall) each slept with Cindy Sandberg. Martinez has publically denied this, and left the Sox as a free agent.

pudge
01-03-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Dave Martinez was awesome, one of those guys that didn't wear batting gloves for some reason. I remember him hitting a grand slam home run in the ninth inning to win a meaningless game since we sucked when he was around. I can't really remember what team it was against. I was 12 or 13, my pre-stathead days. I still liked guys who walked a lot and got on base though. A friend of mine who is a friend of the Dan Evans family told me that Martinez was traded because he slept with other players wives.

It was against the Tigers in early '95, after the Sox got off to that miserable start. I ditched studying for college finals with a bunch of buddies and went to the game, and we were treated to a great finish. I think that was probably the highlight of that terrible season.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-03-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
I should point out that this allegation was in relation to Martinez being traded by the Cubs to Montreal for Mitch Webster. The longtime, widespread rumor was that he and Rafael Palmeiro (who was also traded mysteriously, as you recall) each slept with Cindy Sandberg. Martinez has publically denied this, and left the Sox as a free agent.

Okay, who here would be the least bit surprised if told Cindy Sandberg's ex-husband was a lousy lay?

:)

Hullett_Fan
01-03-2003, 01:59 PM
Okay, who here would be the least bit surprised if told Cindy Sandberg's ex-husband was a lousy lay?

LMAO!!!

I've heard those 'rumors' (truths?) about both Davey and Palmeiro sleeping with Cindy Sandberg (but not at the same time I don't think :D: ) from a friend who knew the team photographer at the time.

34 Inch Stick
01-03-2003, 02:00 PM
I wouldn't doubt it. He remarried some woman who appears to be much older than him. Maybe her expectations were not as high.

Still Cindy was an insulting skrag. She didn't have to be so blatant about making the guy a cuckold. People still talk about that corncob dress that she wore to his first retirement announcement.