PDA

View Full Version : New Tribune Columnist

Lip Man 1
01-01-2003, 02:18 PM
The Tribune announced the hiring of a new sports columnist. His name is Mike Downey, a south side native who has won numerous awards when he worked for the Daily News, in Detroit and in Los Angeles.

He starts in mid January.

and for all those "media bashers" who feel that anybody who works for the Tribune is a "Cubs stooge," (even though at least three people in the organization are confirmed Sox fans) here is a Downey quote that is on the back jacket of Bob Vanderberg's book '59 Summer Of The Sox ...

"I still love Los Angeles, but I still hate the Dodgers. That's because they beat my Go-Go boys in the World Series. Pick up Bob Vanderberg's joy-of-Sox book, roll up your sleves like Big Klu and dig in."

Let the Downey bashing begin!

Lip

duke of dorwood
01-01-2003, 03:21 PM
I may be wrong, but wasnt he a Sun Times guy a long while back?

TornLabrum
01-01-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
I may be wrong, but wasnt he a Sun Times guy a long while back?

Yes, he was.

jeremyb1
01-01-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The Tribune announced the hiring of a new sports columnist. His name is Mike Downey, a south side native who has won numerous awards when he worked for the Daily News, in Detroit and in Los Angeles.

He starts in mid January.

and for all those "media bashers" who feel that anybody who works for the Tribune is a "Cubs stooge," (even though at least three people in the organization are confirmed Sox fans) here is a Downey quote that is on the back jacket of Bob Vanderberg's book '59 Summer Of The Sox ...

"I still love Los Angeles, but I still hate the Dodgers. That's because they beat my Go-Go boys in the World Series. Pick up Bob Vanderberg's joy-of-Sox book, roll up your sleves like Big Klu and dig in."

my dad was just telling me today that he went to highschool with this guy. he used to cover my dad's basketball games for the school newspaper. here's hoping he helps to improve the quality of the tribune sports page.

TornLabrum
01-01-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
my dad was just telling me today that he went to highschool with this guy. he used to cover my dad's basketball games for the school newspaper. here's hoping he helps to improve the quality of the tribune sports page.

Back in the early days of The Score, Dan McNeil and Terry Boers used to interview Downey quite often. He sounds reasonably intelligent, as his status as a Sox fan would indicate.

:reinsy

"So that's the problem. I'm dealing with intelligent fans."

34 Inch Stick
01-02-2003, 12:01 PM
Lip. if there are confirmed Sox fans at the Tribune, yet the treatment of the Sox remains, at best, indifferent, wouldn't that be an even clearer indication of Tribune stoogienesss.

Lip Man 1
01-02-2003, 01:43 PM
Bob Vanderberg is the assistant editor, author of two Sox books and an interview guest for WSI (which he reads)

John Kass is a news columnists and devoted Sox fan

Melissa Issacson, columnists, is a Sox fan and comes from a Sox family (She told me that personally)

Kent McGill, the head honcho (sports editor) of the Tribune is from the South Side and is a Sox fan (Vanderberg said that in his WSI interview--look it up)

Paul Sullivan is a Sox fan has been for years. He told me his best memory is being in the park the day Andy Hawkins no hit the Sox and lost the game.

Now you've got Downey coming in.

I mean what more do you want? Like I and others have said in the past, you want more and better publicity? Do something to earn it. Make sensational off season trades, hold press conferences, actually WIN more then 83 games a year (on average) since the White Flag mess.

The Cubs get the lions share of ink because win or lose they draw almost three million a year. Let the Sox start doing something besides having the owner say in a radio interview "Chicago has always belonged to the Cubs" (which is historically inaccurate and totally wrong) and maybe things will change.

Vanderberg told me in his WSI interview one of the big problems with the Sox is the "defeatist" attitude that they have. Phil Rogers told me in his interview that the Sox front office doesn't even return reporters phone calls and has a "bunker mentality."

How do expect to get better media coverage and participation with that kind of front office attitude?

Lip

Hangar18
01-02-2003, 02:03 PM
Good Point Lip...but I still truly and Strongly believe...
all the Sox Fans working at the Tribune (or the suntimes for that matter) Doesnt Matter.
The Fact Is....the dang Media here I believe, given the chance
to write a quality article, or a Fluffy Story....will choose
FLUFFINESS every time...as evidenced by the whopping # of stories the Cubs have over the SOX. YES....most of that is there
own Fault....im sure they dont do their best at getting stories out there (Secret Renovations, unwillling to chase players etc).
I know there was a point when the sox were more popular than that losing franchise up north......How Reinsdorf could let his
team Deteriorate to this point is nothing short of Unbelievable.

Iwritecode
01-02-2003, 02:57 PM
I mean what more do you want? Like I and others have said in the past, you want more and better publicity? Do something to earn it. Make sensational off season trades, hold press conferences, actually WIN more then 83 games a year (on average) since the White Flag mess.

The Cubs get the lions share of ink because win or lose they draw almost three million a year. Let the Sox start doing something besides having the owner say in a radio interview "Chicago has always belonged to the Cubs" (which is historically inaccurate and totally wrong) and maybe things will change.

What exactly do the Cubs do to deserve all the press that they get? Put up screens to block the "free" view of some of their "fans"? Get into legal battles with those same "fans"? Lose almost 100 games a year? Sign mediocre players and watch the media hype them to no end? Have a player on the team who's ego is so big it doesn't even fit in the clubhouse? Leave the stadium the exact same way it has been for the last 1,000 years because they know 3,000,000+ will still come out to drink beer and party no matter how bad the team does?

Exactly how are you supposed to compete with that? I know the Sox PR is really bad but the Cubs is even worse. Their "fans" just aren't smart enough to realize it...

Dadawg_77
01-02-2003, 04:16 PM
hey, for some reason the Cubs sell right now, that is why you get more stories about them then the Sox. It is as simple as it. If more people bought the paper for stories about the Sox, the Sox would have more stories. But the simple fact is that this ownership group does nothing to promote the team except some creative game day promotions once in awhile.

BTW: I love the fact the Sox is "misspelled" but Cubs isn't by the wonderful spell checker. I guess that is another sign of Cubbie bias.

MarkEdward
01-02-2003, 07:16 PM
Some Mike Downey columns:

http://tinyurl.com/40w4

joecrede
01-02-2003, 11:47 PM
As long as the Tribune owns the Cubs there will be at the very least the appearance of a bias in favor of the Cubs. I've had the opportunity to talk with Sullivan and when I bring up this subject he rolls his eyes and claims it's the workings of paranoid Sox fans. I find it funny that it's his company that put him in this awkward position, yet he rails on Sox fans.

Even that appearance of a bias is enough for me. Imagine the fervor if the head of the Republican or Democratic parties published the Tribune.

irish rover
01-03-2003, 03:36 PM
I think it is a combination of both. The sox and the media.

I remember 1 time last year after Stephan was fire( I personaly could careless) but north was riding the sox hard for doing it. The PR guy for the sox called the producer and told him that while the sox were on thier road trip he would get any player for north to interview because they were pissed

also just look at how the Une treats bridgeport. Its in thier best interest to perpetuate the stereotype so as to keep the casual fans away. Remember last month whe that young man was shot around the corner of Wrigley, it wasn't in the print edition and was located in the southwest suburb sect of the web site. You know if it was in bridgeport it would be all over the une. Jeezus, around that same period they had an article about Bakers tooth pick

so yes I say there is a certain bias in thier reporting

DVG
01-04-2003, 01:29 AM
Bob Vanderberg is the assistant editor, author of two Sox books and an interview guest for WSI (which he reads)

John Kass is a news columnists and devoted Sox fan

Melissa Issacson, columnists, is a Sox fan and comes from a Sox family (She told me that personally)

Kent McGill, the head honcho (sports editor) of the Tribune is from the South Side and is a Sox fan (Vanderberg said that in his WSI interview--look it up)

Paul Sullivan is a Sox fan has been for years. He told me his best memory is being in the park the day Andy Hawkins no hit the Sox and lost the game.

Now you've got Downey coming in.

Vanderberg told me in his WSI interview one of the big problems with the Sox is the "defeatist" attitude that they have. Phil Rogers told me in his interview that the Sox front office doesn't even return reporters phone calls and has a "bunker mentality."

How do expect to get better media coverage and participation with that kind of front office attitude?

Lip

Let us not forget the abuse that the Sox took at the hands of the
Trib, and the fans too. That ridiculous front sports-page "news
story" about the killing of the ivy. The Cubs said a Sox fan "might"
have done it without offering proof of any kind. I read where the
team then refused to let reporters in the park to do their own
investigation and didn't return calls. Morrissey the swine even
wrote an article telling Cub fans how to "get even." John Kass
and the other devoted Sox fans at the house organ never uttered
a peep about the idiotic story. And of course, there was front page treatment every time Frank Thomas did something, such as blow his nose in a manner that Paul Konerko didn't like.

There is also the matter that irish rover wrote about, the burying
of the story about a guy being shot in the Wrigley neighborhood.
I remember also that the story referred to the area by its official
name of "Lakeview" as opposed to "Wrigleyville," which is what
it is always called otherwise. If it had happened in Bridgeport,
the Trib front page would blare "MAN SHOT NEAR COMISKEY."

Lip Man 1
01-04-2003, 03:14 AM
It's a conspiracy I tells ya! The media's all against us!!!

(Just like the NBA lottery draft is rigged and that NBA officials were told to try to get the Finals that the Bulls were in to go six or seven games...)

Simple solution to everything.....win a pennant, go to a World Series and see how the media acts. That'll prove things one way or another won't they?

Lip

Soxboyrob
01-04-2003, 11:47 AM
It's a conspiracy I tells ya! The media's all against us!!!

(Just like the NBA lottery draft is rigged and that NBA officials were told to try to get the Finals that the Bulls were in to go six or seven games...)

Simple solution to everything.....win a pennant, go to a World Series and see how the media acts. That'll prove things one way or another won't they?

Lip

Thanks for the refreshing perspective, Lip. Why do the Cubs get more media coverage? Probably because they get about 50-60% more attendance than us and similarly larger tv audiences....not to mention the aforementioned bunker mentality of the Sox incoherent management team. Let's quit blaming the media and blame the Sox. Build a better team. Make the park more fun to attend (they appear to be doing this over the last few years). Be more fan friendly. Be more media friendly. Make the Sox into an organization that strives for excellence instead of a team that blatantly advertises that it's doomed to mediocrity by the fans that refuse to attend games and pay for higher salaries. It's getting so old I can barely stand it anymore. If you think the Trib gives too much coverage to the Cubs, read another paper or hang around on this site and find all of the Sox info you'll ever need.

DrCrawdad
01-13-2003, 07:38 PM
...and for all those "media bashers" who feel that anybody who works for the Tribune is a "Cubs stooge," (even though at least three people in the organization are confirmed Sox fans) here is a Downey quote that is on the back jacket of Bob Vanderberg's book '59 Summer Of The Sox ...

Lip

The below was just posted on Cubune outlet ChicagoSports.com:

CS.com: Cubs or Sox fan?

Downey: Only marginally a Sox fan I would say because I'm from the South Suburbs. So I probably saw 10 or 15 games at Comiskey Park before I even knew there was a North Side. As a kid I thought there was the South Side of Chicago and then Wisconsin. I knew the Cubs were in between somewhere. As I got older I became infatuated by the Cubs, not like most Chicagoans but people from around the country. So by the time 1984 rolled along -- and I was in Detroit where the Tigers were about to win the World Series -- I couldn't keep one eye off the Cubs who looked as if they were going to play the Tigers in the '84 World Series. And I said, "I've been waiting all my life for the Cubs or White Sox to be in the World Series." I'm still waiting.

Lip Man 1
01-13-2003, 10:30 PM
Here is a Downey quote that is on the back jacket of Bob Vanderberg's book '59 Summer Of The Sox ...

This is what the man said. Sounds like he's doing the "politically correct" thing and playing both sides in Chicago.

Lip

TornLabrum
01-13-2003, 11:18 PM
Here is a Downey quote that is on the back jacket of Bob Vanderberg's book '59 Summer Of The Sox ...

This is what the man said. Sounds like he's doing the "politically correct" thing and playing both sides in Chicago.

Lip

Well, that was '59. From what I've read here, it sounds that as time passed, he went over to the dark side.

DrCrawdad
01-14-2003, 01:48 PM

Lip

Saw your comment on the ChicagoSports.com website. Good point.

-DrCrawdad.

hold2dibber
01-14-2003, 06:25 PM
ChicagoSports.com has an interview with Downey up on its website, which includes the following exchange:

CS.com: Cubs or Sox fan?

Downey: Only marginally a Sox fan I would say because I'm from the South Suburbs. So I probably saw 10 or 15 games at Comiskey Park before I even knew there was a North Side. As a kid I thought there was the South Side of Chicago and then Wisconsin. I knew the Cubs were in between somewhere. As I got older I became infatuated by the Cubs, not like most Chicagoans but people from around the country. So by the time 1984 rolled along -- and I was in Detroit where the Tigers were about to win the World Series -- I couldn't keep one eye off the Cubs who looked as if they were going to play the Tigers in the '84 World Series. And I said, "I've been waiting all my life for the Cubs or White Sox to be in the World Series." I'm still waiting.