PDA

View Full Version : Would you rather the Sox be like the Braves or the Yankee?

WhiteSoxWinner
12-31-2002, 06:53 PM
The baseball gods have given you an option regarding the White Sox. They will give the Sox the power do one of these two, but you have to choose. Would you rather...

A - Be like the Braves and win one World Series and 11 division titles?

or

B - Be like the Yankees and win four World Series titles in five years time?

soxtalker
12-31-2002, 07:08 PM
I'll vote for the Yankees option, though I find it isn't as easy to answer as I might have thought.

I like the way that the Braves consistently have built a winning organization, and, in fact, I think it is difficult for any team outside of NY to generate the revenue needed to run an organization the way the Yankees do. (Maybe the Dodgers could do it if they were privately held.) But the fans and media in NY demand a winner, while I don't get the same feeling about Atlanta.

RedPinStripes
12-31-2002, 07:19 PM
Yankees with ease. Who the hell likes losing? If we had an owner like king george, how many of us would really complain?

oldcomiskey
01-01-2003, 10:30 AM
Neither--Id rather have the Sox be like Anaheim---they ae the dending world champions---both the Yankees and Braves will struggle to win their division--of course I say that every year

RedPinStripes
01-01-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
Neither--Id rather have the Sox be like Anaheim---they ae the dending world champions---both the Yankees and Braves will struggle to win their division--of course I say that every year

The Yankees have been to about 38 WS. How could any team beat that? I wouldnt mind celebreating that. I doubt the Angels are going to be the next "Dominant Force " for years to come. Well, they could. Depending on who their new owner is. The WS champs are for sale.

ScottyTheSoxFan
01-01-2003, 12:09 PM
i would settle for either.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-01-2003, 12:18 PM
I want the Sox to be whichever team wins the 2003 World Series. Then I can die happy.

I'm not half the Bears fan I am compared to Sox Fan, but I know I can die happy as a Bears fan. I lived through watching my team flatten practically everything in their path en route to a Super Bowl world championship in 1985-86. From now on, everything the Bears do is gravy (though there has been precious little of it. :smile: )

The Sox are a completely different story. They have basically sucked non-stop since before I was born, or even before my father was born (and he'll turn 78 next month). I don't want to be laying in my deathbed rationalizing to myself that "it couldn't have been that good." However I have deepening concerns that's precisely the way it's going to be. :angry:

TornLabrum
01-01-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I want the Sox to be whichever team wins the 2003 World Series. Then I can die happy.

I'm not half the Bears fan I am compared to Sox Fan, but I know I can die happy as a Bears fan. I lived through watching my team flatten practically everything in their path en route to a Super Bowl world championship in 1985-86. From now on, everything the Bears do is gravy (though there has been precious little of it. :smile: )

The Sox are a completely different story. They have basically sucked non-stop since before I was born, or even before my father was born (and he'll turn 78 next month). I don't want to be laying in my deathbed rationalizing to myself that "it couldn't have been that good." However I have deepening concerns that's precisely the way it's going to be. :angry:

I'll slightly (but only slightly) dispute the "basically sucked" part. From 1951-67 the Sox spent 17 consecutive years above .500, doing it much of the time (especially in the '60s after Veeck gutted the farm system) with smoke and mirrors. If the Sox had only had some hitting to go with that pitching, they probably would have finished in second to the Yankees even more, and may have actually beaten them the year they finished one game behind.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-01-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I'll slightly (but only slightly) dispute the "basically sucked" part. From 1951-67 the Sox spent 17 consecutive years above .500, doing it much of the time (especially in the '60s after Veeck gutted the farm system) with smoke and mirrors. If the Sox had only had some hitting to go with that pitching, they probably would have finished in second to the Yankees even more, and may have actually beaten them the year they finished one game behind.

I'm a bit too young to remember even the tail end of that golden era of Sox baseball. Is it any wonder we Sox Fans still talk about it? The period from 1951-1967 is like a lush oasis smack in the middle of a lifeless desert that stretches forty years in either direction.

I missed the last truck stop. The next one might not be for another 40 years. I may not live long enough to see it.

Just bury me along the side of the road. I'll be in good company.

:gulp:

cornball
01-01-2003, 04:11 PM
Like it or not the Yankees are the pinnacle of all professional franchises.

Divisional titles are nice, except they don't mean much. Considering 6 out of the 30 teams are division champs or 20%.

Winning it all, is all that matters. Wish our ownership felt the same way.

vegyrex
01-02-2003, 01:52 PM
I want them to be like the Yankees, hands down. Hell at this point I wouldn't mind if they were like the Twins.

FarmerAndy
01-02-2003, 02:55 PM
I think it would be better to forget about the Yankees/Braves over the last ten years and ask the question this way:

Choose one of the following:

1.) The Sox make the playoffs every year for the next 10 years, with no garauntee of winning in the post season. Not to say that they won't win, the opportunity is there, but no garauntees.

2.) The Sox make the playoffs only once over the next 10 years, but they win the World Series. The other 9 years are, at best, mediocre seasons.

As much as I would love a garaunteed World Series title, I would have to choose option one. The odds would tell you that you are bound to win at least one World Series if you make the playoff every year. There is a chance that you'd end up like the Braves and fail to bring home the title year after year. But I would rather have a good shot at it every year than to take one World Series and then not compete for another decade. And like I said, 10 straight trips to the playoffs, you'll probably win at least one anyway.

I know it's all trivial anyway, because this is all pure fantasy. But it's still fun to ask, which one would you choose?

Dadawg_77
01-02-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
I think it would be better to forget about the Yankees/Braves over the last ten years and ask the question this way:

1.) The Sox make the playoffs every year for the next 10 years, with no garauntee of winning in the post season. Not to say that they won't win, the opportunity is there, but no garauntees.

2.) The Sox make the playoffs only once over the next 10 years, but they win the World Series. The other 9 years are, at best, mediocre seasons.

As much as I would love a garaunteed World Series title, I would have to choose option one. The odds would tell you that you are bound to win at least one World Series if you make the playoff every year. There is a chance that you'd end up like the Braves and fail to bring home the title year after year. But I would rather have a good shot at it every year than to take one World Series and then not compete for another decade. And like I said, 10 straight trips to the playoffs, you'll probably win at least one anyway.

I know it's all trivial anyway, because this is all pure fantasy. But it's still fun to ask, which one would you choose?

The odds are after 80+ years a team would win a couple but we all know how those odds turned out. I would have to go with one title, just because it is guaranteed. It would even better if I knew the year, and planned a trip to Vegas in March.

Hangar18
01-02-2003, 04:11 PM
I wonder If Jerry Reinsdorf is Reading This.....
I wonder if someone is Reading This TO Kenny Williams

I wonder if Kenny can Read......

hold2dibber
01-02-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy

I'd take the title in a heart beat. As PHG astutely points out, I (as a die-hard Bulls fan and a somewhat devoted Bears fan) have felt the joy of having watched those teams win championships and as a result, watching them falter no longer causes the sting their losses caused prior to their championships. After they've won it all, any success after that is gravy. Gimme the guaranteed title. I would be thrilled with just one. Just one.

As to the original post, it is not surprising to me that no one has chosen the Braves option. You're basically asking if you'd be willing to trade 3 WS titles for 6 division titles. You'd be out of your mind to do so, in my humble (albeit corect) opinion.

WhiteSoxWinner
01-02-2003, 07:55 PM
Give me the guaranteed title!!!

Great post, Hangar. Post of the week?