PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Prospectus ranks top 10 Rotations

WhiteSoxWinner
12-31-2002, 02:20 PM
Here they are...

1. New York Yankees
Roger Clemens, Mike Mussina, Andy Pettitte, David Wells, Jeff Weaver, Orlando Hernandez, Jose Contreras

2. Oakland Athletics
Tim Hudson, Mark Mulder, Barry Zito, Ted Lilly, Aaron Harang

3. Arizona Diamondbacks
Randy Johnson, Curt Schilling, Elmer Dessens, Miguel Batista, John Patterson

4. Chicago Cubs
Kerry Wood, Mark Prior, Matt Clement, Shawn Estes, Carlos Zambrano

5. Boston Red Sox
Pedro Martinez, Derek Lowe, Tim Wakefield, John Burkett, Casey Fossum

6. Minnesota Twins
Brad Radke, Joe Mays, Eric Milton, Rick Reed, Kyle Lohse, Johan Santana

7. Houston Astros
Roy Oswalt, Wade Miller, Shane Reynolds, Peter Munro, Kirk Saarloos, Tim Redding

8. Montreal Expos
Bartolo Colon, Javier Vazquez, Tony Armas, Jr., Sun-Woo Kim, Tomo Ohka

9. Seattle Mariners
Jamie Moyer, Freddy Garcia, Joel Pineiro, Ryan Franklin, TBA

10. Anaheim Angels
Jarrod Washburn, Kevin Appier, Ramon Ortiz, John Lackey, Scott Schoeneweis

Full Article: http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/bp/1484922.html

Gee, I had thought the Sox would get rated here. The biggest surprise is that the Yankees got rated the top staff.

Seriously, where is the Braves rotation in this list? They may have a few questions, but to not be in the top ten? Same question for the Cardinals.

duke of dorwood
12-31-2002, 03:11 PM
There's a lot of mediocre pitchers on some of those staffs. The fact that the Braves cant make this list, speaks of its credibility.

kermittheefrog
12-31-2002, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
There's a lot of mediocre pitchers on some of those staffs. The fact that the Braves cant make this list, speaks of its credibility.

Please clearify that, outisde of the #5 starters who do you think is mediocre?

Jjav829
12-31-2002, 03:28 PM
How come it shows 4 replies, yet when I open this thread, I see only 1? Does it show more replies than are actually there for anyone else?

Anyways the Braves should probably be on there, but they do have some quesion marks so I can understand why they didn't put the Braves on there.

cheeses_h_rice
12-31-2002, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner

Gee, I had thought the Sox would get rated here. The biggest surprise is that the Yankees got rated the top staff.

I don't think the Yankees have enough starting pitchers there....yeesh.

WhiteSoxWinner
12-31-2002, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
How come it shows 4 replies, yet when I open this thread, I see only 1? Does it show more replies than are actually there for anyone else?

Yes I was baffled by this, too. Is the Y2K bug rearing it's ugly head 3 years late?

Daver
12-31-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
Yes I was baffled by this, too. Is the Y2K bug rearing it's ugly head 3 years late?

I fixed it,we were having a bit of a troll problem.

:)

whitesoxwilkes
12-31-2002, 03:47 PM
I can;t see how they justify having the Flubs on there, especially if they are projecting Wood as their number one starter. He's terribly inconsistent. I think Clement is their ace right now, but Prior has the potential to surplant that.

kermittheefrog
12-31-2002, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
I can;t see how they justify having the Flubs on there, especially if they are projecting Wood as their number one starter. He's terribly inconsistent. I think Clement is their ace right now, but Prior has the potential to surplant that.

Prior was their best starter when he was pitching last year. Prior, Wood and Clement is a pretty damn foridable front three. Of course they don't really have bats or a bullpen to back this pitching up.

Chisox_cali
12-31-2002, 04:04 PM
Jeez, how can a team with a yet to be announced 5th starter like the Mariners be in the top 10, they don't even have a full staff.

Well could the Sox be on this list in a few years, with Honel, and Diaz coming up, Malone if he gets his S together? Anybody?

jeremyb1
12-31-2002, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Please clearify that, outisde of the #5 starters who do you think is mediocre?

i think the twin's entire front of the rotation is pretty mediocre or that radke is at a minimum. other than that most of those rotations are pretty impressive. i don't think the yankees are ahead of the a's for a second though.

HawkDJ
12-31-2002, 04:41 PM
Baseball Prospectus must be confused then. First of all I'd rather have either of the #5-10 rotations before the Cubs one. Second where are the Braves and Mets?

Lip Man 1
12-31-2002, 08:45 PM
It's a shame they didn't rank them all the way to the bottom. I'd be curious where they placed the Sox.

I guess B.A. isn't very impressed by the Sox "can't miss kids." Seems like the Sox front office are the only ones.

Lip

Daver
12-31-2002, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
It's a shame they didn't rank them all the way to the bottom. I'd be curious where they placed the Sox.

I guess B.A. isn't very impressed by the Sox "can't miss kids." Seems like the Sox front office are the only ones.

Lip

Baseball Prospectus did this ranking,based more on stats than tools,a B A ranking would probably look a little different,they would base it more on tools.

kermittheefrog
12-31-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
Baseball Prospectus must be confused then. First of all I'd rather have either of the #5-10 rotations before the Cubs one. Second where are the Braves and Mets?

Well the Mets aren't there because they have two good starters and nothing else. Don't try and compare them to the D-Backs either. The D-Backs have the two best starters in baseball and nothing else, there's a big difference. As for the Braves, can someone please remind everyone that Mike Hampton walked more batters than he struck out last year. That's not so easily repairable. And they traded away Kevin Millwood for nothing. The Braves staff isn't that great.

The only team that I think doesn't belong in that top 10 is the Mariners. I'd put the Phillies in instead.

HawkDJ
01-01-2003, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Well the Mets aren't there because they have two good starters and nothing else. Don't try and compare them to the D-Backs either. The D-Backs have the two best starters in baseball and nothing else, there's a big difference. As for the Braves, can someone please remind everyone that Mike Hampton walked more batters than he struck out last year. That's not so easily repairable. And they traded away Kevin Millwood for nothing. The Braves staff isn't that great.

The only team that I think doesn't belong in that top 10 is the Mariners. I'd put the Phillies in instead.

Glavine, Leiter and Astacio. Looks like 3 pretty good pitchers to me. And even if Hampton doesn't do good the Braves still have Maddux, Ortiz and Byrd.

jeremyb1
01-01-2003, 01:48 AM
Glavine, Leiter and Astacio. Looks like 3 pretty good pitchers to me. And even if Hampton doesn't do good the Braves still have Maddux, Ortiz and Byrd.

i wouldn't count on astacio and his frayed shoulder after his second half era of 6 any time soon.

WhiteSox = Life
01-01-2003, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i think the twin's entire front of the rotation is pretty mediocre or that radke is at a minimum.

I think Baseball Prospectus rated the Twins on their pitchers' performances against the White Sox the last couple years.

:D:

PaleHoseGeorge
01-01-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
I think Baseball Prospectus rated the Twins on their pitchers' performances against the White Sox the last couple years.

:D:

Good point. As long as the Twins pitchers have Sox hitters eating out of their hand, the Twins will keep winning the division and getting a free shot at a world championship. Who else do the Twins have to worry about? Cleveland? Pfft....

:caballo
"I think I swung twice at that last pitch!"

:versatile
"No problem. Jerry will have me playing LF in the HumpDome."

:jerry
"And the rest of you thought I was just goofing around last September. The joke is on you!!!"

kermittheefrog
01-01-2003, 04:55 PM

Astacio had a terrible season last year and a mediocre one the year before.

ma-gaga
01-01-2003, 09:25 PM
Radke shut down Oakland a couple of times last year. Yes, he's been a little inconsistant and injured, but he is a decent pitcher.

The Sox certainly could use a pitcher like him.

michigan84
01-03-2003, 11:01 PM
This list was compiled of experienced starters mainly, so that's probably why the Sox and their younger pitchers got left off the list. They are really unknowns, they could pan out or not.

I agree about Minnesota having a good pitching staff, certainly the best in the AL Central. They have some impressive pitchers. Other than Mark Burhle, and Mark Redman in Detroit, and CC Sabathia in Cleveland there are really no other above average MLB starters in the AL Central. What were Cleveland and Detroit thinking trading Colon and Weaver, I still don't undertand why you trade great pitchers like that! The good news is the Sox and their offense should have no problems scoring runs on the AL pitchers next year, I'd say second place is a given!

Lip Man 1
01-04-2003, 12:55 AM
Michigan 84 says:

I'd say second place is a given!

The story of the Sox isn't it? (Yea second place with 82 wins?)

Lip