PDA

View Full Version : [Optimism] '83, '93....'03?

cheeses_h_rice
12-31-2002, 10:07 AM
OK folks, as we go into this new annum, perhaps a look at the numbers (of years) will aid and abet Sox fans' collective optimism for the forthcoming season. Years ending in 3 have done us pretty well of late. Right now, I ain't feeling it (I still think the Central is the Twins' unless the Sox make another move or three), but who the heck knows?

Division champs, maybe?

TornLabrum
12-31-2002, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
OK folks, as we go into this new annum, perhaps a look at the numbers (of years) will aid and abet Sox fans' collective optimism for the forthcoming season. Years ending in '03 have done us pretty well of late. Right now, I ain't feeling it (I still think the Central is the Twins' unless the Sox make another move or three), but who the heck knows?

Division champs, maybe?

Doesn't 2000 put a kind of crimp in that hypothesis? Perhaps like that's our division championship for this decade?

T Dog
12-31-2002, 10:45 AM
It used to be that every five years, we could count on the Sox winning a lot of games but falling out of first place on Aug. 12. After doing that in 1967, the Sox did that in 1972 and 1977. The 1981 strike put the team out of its rhythm, and the next run didn't come until 1983. That season set the bar higher in the minds of fans.

The dynamics differed from year to year, but some people will tell you that such cycles are not coincidental.

cheeses_h_rice
12-31-2002, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Doesn't 2000 put a kind of crimp in that hypothesis? Perhaps like that's our division championship for this decade?

I still say the Sox "won" the division in '94, so I'm going to answer your question with "no."

We still have to make up for that huge drought between 1919 and 1959, and 1959 and 1983, IMO.

:)

Hangar18
12-31-2002, 10:54 AM
Im not that much of an Optimist. I believe winning in 2000 was our division championship for the decade Unfortuneately.
Lets see.....we went into the 2002 season with 1 pitcher/4 question marks. Things didnt work out too well.

We now go into the 2003 season with 1 Pitcher/4 question marks....(EXACTLY LIKE LAST YEAR) Didnt work last year...
lets see if this works This Year. Good Logic. Meanwhile,
in NY, the Yankees are stocking up on every available pitcher.
Good to see the Yanks are looking at Winning Everything,
as opposed to the Sox, who are just content to win the division.
GO SOX in 2013 !!!

Lip Man 1
12-31-2002, 01:31 PM
Hangar 18 says:

Good to see the Yanks are looking at Winning Everything,
as opposed to the Sox, who are just content to win the division.

There's no guarantees that they are even going to do that.

Lip

RKMeibalane
12-31-2002, 02:10 PM
As long as Jerry Reinsdorf owns the team, I won't expect much of anything as far as on-the-field results are concerned. Reinsdorf is a tyrant, and he is crushing the Sox franchise under the heel of his boot.

doublem23
12-31-2002, 03:10 PM
'83, '93, '03???

I'm willing to buy that... I'm feeling bubbly this afternoon. :)

PaleHoseGeorge
12-31-2002, 04:13 PM
Sox in 2003? Yeah, sure. Why not? Our record in 0-0, tied for first.

I usually save optimism for spring, but what the hell. The baseball season is too long to endure the pain caused by Satan, Professor Chaos, and the Tinkerer without an extended period before the first pitch to consider all the wonderful possibilities.

So with this in mind...

Should we have a victory parade down Lasalle Street (like the '85 Bears) or just do the Grant Park celebration like Jordan and the Bulls?

voodoochile
12-31-2002, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Sox in 2003? Yeah, sure. Why not? Our record in 0-0, tied for first.

I usually save optimism for spring, but what the hell. The baseball season is too long to endure the pain caused by Satan, Professor Chaos, and the Tinkerer without an extended period before the first pitch to consider all the wonderful possibilities.

So with this in mind...

Should we have a victory parade down Lasalle Street (like the '85 Bears) or just do the Grant Park celebration like Jordan and the Bulls?

Now now now... let's not get ahead of ourselves... Any championship contemplation prior to the season starts with settling on a lineup and rotation to bring out the best in the team in question...

:jerry
"One lineup? How preposterous. How would I be able to prove to the world what a special genius I am? What is this thing you call a rotation. I plan on shuffling guys back and forth between a starting and relieving role all season long. It builds character and enhances a sense of team unity when everyone has to play and/or pitch from every possible vantage."

:ohno
"George, go with a parade ending in Grant Park where a long party can occur. If Sox fans ever see a championship with these clowns running the show, we will deserve both venues..."