PDA

View Full Version : How about Weaver for #2

mike squires
12-30-2002, 10:19 PM
Now that the Yankees signed Roger Clemens for another year that gives the yankees a total of 8 starting pitchers. What if we traded Lee for Weaver? He's tough and pitches alot of innings. What are the yanks going to do with 8 starting pitchers. They have to be moving one or two of them.

Daver
12-30-2002, 10:57 PM
Here is Weaver's contract status

Jeff Weaver RHP NYY Signed Jan 2002 - 4 years/$22M
2002: $2.4M
2003: $4.1M
2004: $6.25M
2005: $9.25M

Add to that the fact that he has vowed to never work for Jerry Reinsdorf,and that he has Scott Boras as his agent.

jeremyb1
12-30-2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by daver

Add to that the fact that he has vowed to never work for Jerry Reinsdorf,and that he has Scott Boras as his agent.

i don't know that he has any say unless he has a no trade claus. either way its not really an issue. i doubt the yankees will trade him when he's their youngest starter and is still relatively cheap in comparison to the rest of their staff. i gotta think they'll deal el duque and probably pettitte also.

kermittheefrog
12-30-2002, 11:34 PM
The Yankees would be fools to trade Weaver. Smart organizations don't do things like that. Weazer is the youngest member of their rotation and could be the best.

cornball
12-30-2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by daver

Yes, Weaver would be the perfect fit, I believe most of us said that last year when he was available. The Yanks will trade most of the staff before they trade him.

Funny thing, I remember Schilling saying he would never play for JR too when he was available in trade a few years ago. Wonder how many others feel that way?

lowesox
12-31-2002, 12:19 AM
I'd love to see Petitte. I think he'd really step up in a rotation that needs him to. I would trade Lee for him, and I'm one of very few Sox fans who thinks Williams would be crazy to trade Lee.

Petitte is a true number 2 guy, pitches well in big games, and has a magnificent pickoff move. If there's a difference maker available right now, he's the guy.

Unregistered
12-31-2002, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
I'd love to see Petitte. I think he'd really step up in a rotation that needs him to. I would trade Lee for him, and I'm one of very few Sox fans who thinks Williams would be crazy to trade Lee.

Petitte is a true number 2 guy, pitches well in big games, and has a magnificent pickoff move. If there's a difference maker available right now, he's the guy. The last thing the Yankees need is another outfielder. As of right now, they have 6 or 7 of them.

VeeckAsInWreck
12-31-2002, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by Unregistered
The last thing the Yankees need is another outfielder. As of right now, they have 6 or 7 of them.

Yeah but El Caballo is better than most of them, with the exception of Bernie Williams. (OK I haven't seen "Godzilla" play yet.)

yankthese
12-31-2002, 09:06 AM
Even with 8 starters, Weaver will be in the rotation. Torre will sit Wells, Hernandez and Hitchcock before he sits Weaver.

:pee

34 Inch Stick
12-31-2002, 10:13 AM
WONDER HOW MANY OTHERS FEEL THAT WAY?

Well, it is starting to look like Mark Buhrle is one.

voodoochile
12-31-2002, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by yankthese
Even with 8 starters, Weaver will be in the rotation. Torre will sit Wells, Hernandez and Hitchcock before he sits Weaver.

:pee

Welcome aboard. :D:

34 Inch Stick
12-31-2002, 10:21 AM
Turn it around and what about bringing Wells back for a year. Frank hates him, but I don't think he had problems with anyone else in the clubhouse. Unlike 2001 he would not have to be the ace of the staff. Also Buhrle was highly complimentary of his work with younger pitchers. As long as the weight is down, his back seems to be in good shape. Call me nuts (why not all the other voices in my head do) but it would not be a horrible alternative to Ismael Valdes or Jeff Suppan.

FarmerAndy
12-31-2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Turn it around and what about bringing Wells back for a year. Frank hates him, but I don't think he had problems with anyone else in the clubhouse. Unlike 2001 he would not have to be the ace of the staff. Also Buhrle was highly complimentary of his work with younger pitchers. As long as the weight is down, his back seems to be in good shape. Call me nuts (why not all the other voices in my head do) but it would not be a horrible alternative to Ismael Valdes or Jeff Suppan.

Wells would gain 30 pounds by spring training if he got a call telling him he was going to another team. The only reason he got back into shape was because the Yankees signed him, it's the only team he's ever really wanted to play for.

duke of dorwood
12-31-2002, 12:14 PM
The Boras thing ends all speculation. This whole Yankee thing sickens me . I'd love to see them get stuck with all those guys until late Spring training.

Paulwny
12-31-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
What are the yanks going to do with 8 starting pitchers.

How about 9 starters, from Newsday:

Somebody yesterday uttered that ugly phrase, "You can never have too much pitching," a cliché the Yankees are hell-bent on disproving. How about nine starting pitchers?

Maybe nine is the right number to ensure no other team has a secretary's chance in George Steinbrenner's hell. General manager Brian Cashman actually spoke Sunday with Expos GM Omar Minaya about making Bartolo Colon a Yankee, too. Yankees people say they'd have to "reshuffle the deck" to consider Colon; they say importing him is "remote." But in reality, remote isn't a word for the Yankees' world, except to describe anyone's chances of touching them after an offseason in which they've made a mockery of the new collective-bargaining agreement.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-hey313067625dec31,0,3249288.column?coll=ny%2Dyanke es%2Dheadlines

kermittheefrog
12-31-2002, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
How about 9 starters, from Newsday:

Somebody yesterday uttered that ugly phrase, "You can never have too much pitching," a cliché the Yankees are hell-bent on disproving. How about nine starting pitchers?

Maybe nine is the right number to ensure no other team has a secretary's chance in George Steinbrenner's hell. General manager Brian Cashman actually spoke Sunday with Expos GM Omar Minaya about making Bartolo Colon a Yankee, too. Yankees people say they'd have to "reshuffle the deck" to consider Colon; they say importing him is "remote." But in reality, remote isn't a word for the Yankees' world, except to describe anyone's chances of touching them after an offseason in which they've made a mockery of the new collective-bargaining agreement.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-hey313067625dec31,0,3249288.column?coll=ny%2Dyanke es%2Dheadlines

And those eight starting pitchers last year really put the team over the top wouldn't you say?

hold2dibber
01-03-2003, 03:04 PM
I see the Yankees trying to deal Petitte. Clemens, Mussina and Contreras are locks for the starting rotation. Hitchcock sucks and has a big contract, so they won't be able to deal him. He'll be long relief. El Duque is old but adequate and has a big contract. He wouldn't bring a ton in trade and seems well suited to take over the Ramiro Mendoza "swing" guy out of the pen. That leaves Wells, Petitte and Weaver. I don't think anyone would want Wells - frankly, if he got traded, he would be so pissed he would almost undoubtedly implode. Weaver is the youngest guy on the staff and has lots of potential, so I don't think they'd trade him. That leaves Pettite. He's still relatively young, only has one more year on the contract, and, despite some injury concerns last year, is still a damn good pitcher. I think the Yankees will have to pay some of his salary or take on some salary in a deal, but I think they'll deal Petitte. The question is, what do they want/need in return? They seem pretty much set everywhere except maybe in RF where Mondesi is way past his prime and Rivera is unproven, and DH.