PDA

View Full Version : Have you noticed.....

chisoxfanatic
08-12-2001, 02:12 AM
...that in the majority of our big games of the season, Foulke seems to cringe under pressure?

The two biggest games of the season were the first game in Minnesota in late June and now tonight's game against Seattle. Both games, we were leading going into the bottom of the 9th (by 3 and 2 runs respectively), and what happens? FOULKE BLOWS IT!!!

Foulke has lost much of the edge that he had so much of last season.

This is UNFOULKENBELIEVABLE!!!

Heather the Redbird

Nellie_Fox
08-12-2001, 02:16 AM
I don't know, I thought last night's game was pretty big. The Sox had a five run ninth, Foulke came in for the bottom of the ninth and slammed the door.

Failures are much more noticeable than successes. That is why I said I'm glad I'm not a closer. It's similar to being a hockey goalie, every time you make a mistake a flashing red light comes on.

doublem23
08-12-2001, 02:28 AM
I've been saying this, but I think that Foulke's big problem is that he gets himself TOO pumped up for big games, and thus straigtens out his pitches to try and add a MPH or 2 (so he can get in that 95+ zone with all the other good closers), and that is why he gets shelled.

I think it is something he will grow out of. He's only in his 4th full MLB season, and this is the first full season he has been THE man as far as closing goes.

Brett Favre used to get TOO pumped up before games and would always overthrow his recievers. And now, as much as I hate the Pack, when Favre was on, he was on.

doublem23
08-12-2001, 02:29 AM
That's also why I'm glad I'm a 3B. Every time I make a boner play, I can always come up and hit myself out of it, like a certain someone...

:hitless
Me?

:manos
Sit down.

Tragg
08-12-2001, 08:29 AM
Foulke really isn't put into that many difficult situations. His main goal is to pitch one scoreless innning. Rarely is he asked to get us out of a jam.

Last sunday he was asked to get us out of a jam, and he let inherited runners score. Two big games - last night and that infamous twin meltdown, he blew the save.

I still say we should start him - switch him and glover.

I still say he's a good, not great, closer, and worth nowhere near 8 million a year.

harwar
08-12-2001, 09:18 AM
Last night reminded me of last falls' playoff game against seattle.Foulke blew that one also.Their might be something to the theory that he colapses under the pressure in a all or nothing situation.We had a guy like that on our team in school.He made outstanding plays in practice but when he got in a game he played really bad because he couldn't adapt to the pressure.

Bmr31
08-12-2001, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by harwar
Last night reminded me of last falls' playoff game against seattle.Foulke blew that one also.Their might be something to the theory that he colapses under the pressure in a all or nothing situation.We had a guy like that on our team in school.He made outstanding plays in practice but when he got in a game he played really bad because he couldn't adapt to the pressure.

He collapses in big games because there is a lot of pressure and he cant rely on HEAT, to blow hitters away. Its as simple as that.

Kilroy
08-12-2001, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31
He collapses in big games because there is a lot of pressure and he cant rely on HEAT, to blow hitters away. Its as simple as that.

Sorry dude, but that is just b.s. This is a pitcher that in two years has blown only 8 of 70 save opportunities. He gets people out without the heat you claim he needs. Seemed like he got them out Friday night. Was that game not as big? And if not, how do you measure that?

There's no such thing as a closer that hasn't blown a save. And 2 of Foulke's 3 this season have come against the best teams in the league in Minn and Seattle. Ain't no shame in getting beat by someone good.

And for the record, Harwar, the playoff loss that you're talking about was not blown by Foulke. Manuel blew that game by failing to pinch run for Herbert Perry who had a bad hamstring and couldn't score from 2nd base on a base hit. That run would have put the Sox ahead 4-3. They ended up losing when Edgar and Olerud homered in extra innings. Again, those two guys aren't exactly slouches. Ain't no shame in getting beat by someone good.

oldcomiskey
08-12-2001, 09:43 AM
here we go again--you do not start one the best closers in the league---but instead put Glover in the rotation

Bmr31
08-12-2001, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
here we go again--you do not start one the best closers in the league---but instead put Glover in the rotation

keith is far, very far, from one of the best closers in the league...

oldcomiskey
08-12-2001, 03:23 PM
He aint that far---look at his ERA--and BB/K--name 5 closers who are better--and have the numbers to back it up

Bmr31
08-12-2001, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
He aint that far---look at his ERA--and BB/K--name 5 closers who are better--and have the numbers to back it up

i dont need to look at any stats, i have two eyes,

oldcomiskey
08-12-2001, 08:06 PM
typical chickensh*t answer that I expected-----you may have eyes but you have no brain