PDA

View Full Version : Ritchie was not offered a contract? Why isnt everyone happy now?

RedPinStripes
12-26-2002, 06:07 PM
With all teh bashing ritchie took here, i thought some might be happy. I dont know the full detail, but as far as i know he's gone.

TornLabrum
12-26-2002, 06:31 PM
I think it has something to do with having a starting rotation of Buehrle, Garland, Wright, Biddle/Glover/Rauch instead of having a Maddux, Colon, or one of several other possibilities Williams could have picked up pitching between Buehrle and Garland.

:KW

"I'm pleased with the development of our starters."

:reinsy

"So am I. I means we can offer excuses instead of going out and spending money to hire someone with proven talent. Of course if you fans had come out to the ball park last year, I'd have the money to spend."

RedPinStripes
12-26-2002, 07:17 PM
I know the Sox arent getting past the twins unless they go on a 2000 tear. I'd like to see another rookie pitcher broken in instead of Ritchie out there. If we 're going to have an average or below average pitcher out there, i'd rather it would be someone like Josh Stewart, Jon Rauch, Biddle, or Corwin Malone.

Jerry_Manuel
12-26-2002, 07:19 PM
Supposedly, Williams still plans on trying to strike a deal with his people.

Daver
12-26-2002, 07:21 PM
Kenny has until the end of January to strike a deal with Todd Ritchie and his agent,I would not say he is gone just yet.

:)

RedPinStripes
12-26-2002, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by daver
Kenny has until the end of January to strike a deal with Todd Ritchie and his agent,I would not say he is gone just yet.

:)

DAMMIT!

HawkDJ
12-26-2002, 07:36 PM
Personally I hope he comes back next year. You can't screw up a trade as much as KW did and just give up on the guy you got. You have to bring him back and hope and pray he does good.

RedPinStripes
12-26-2002, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
Personally I hope he comes back next year. You can't screw up a trade as much as KW did and just give up on the guy you got. You have to bring him back and hope and pray he does good.

Kenny?????? Is that you?

duke of dorwood
12-26-2002, 09:05 PM
:ritchie

I'm your toothache. Your dentist appt is Jan 31-til then , suffer

kermittheefrog
12-26-2002, 09:54 PM
EDITED TO FIX MY DUMB MISTAKES

Okay here's how the process works. The Sox DID offer Ritchie arbitration, that gave them until a week or so ago to work out a longterm deal with him, offer him a one year deal or decide to not offer a contract at all (non-tender him). The Sox chose to non-tender Ritchie. That makes him a free agent. If the Sox had chosen to not offer arbitration then Ritchie could not return to the Sox major league roster until May 1st. Making him ineligible for the entire month of April.

If we had offered him a contract the system allows for him either to take the contract offered or take the offer to an independent arbitrator and ask for a higher salary. Either way if we offered him a contract under arbitration policy he is not free to sign with other teams. Although if he was traded before a deal is signed he must agree to a contract with his new team. If a deal is taken in front of an arbitrator, the arbitrator would then decide what salary Ritchie would play for.

kermittheefrog
12-26-2002, 10:00 PM
By the way! I am extremely happy about Ritchie being non-tendered. This means even if he's back he'll be dirt cheap because this is probably the last place he wants to be since he couldn't start the season in the majors.

pudge
12-26-2002, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
By the way! I am extremely happy about Ritchie being non-tendered. This means even if he's back he'll be dirt cheap because this is probably the last place he wants to be since he couldn't start the season in the majors.

I don't doubt you kermit, but... well, I guess I do doubt you a little... I know there were some players a few weeks ago who were not offered deals and therefore cannot re-sign with their old teams until May 1, but I didn't know that applies to all the non-tenders... you'd think that would be explained in an article somewhere... plus it seems weird to me that KW would even be *thinking* about signing Ritchie if he couldn't pitch until May 1... can anyone back all this up? Just curious. Thanks.

(Could this also explain why Parque turned down the Sox offer?)

RedPinStripes
12-26-2002, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

:ritchie
"i'm gonna go hang out with my friend Royce!"

WinningUgly!
12-26-2002, 11:05 PM

Yeah, we saw how well that line of thinking worked with you know who. :D:

"Who? Me?"
:hitless

HawkDJ
12-27-2002, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Yeah, we saw how well that line of thinking worked with you know who. :D:

"Who? Me?"
:hitless

No not really. The Royce trade wasn't a big trade...this one I'm saying we lost enough already from the trade..we mineaswell bring him back and hope we can find some good of the trade.

WinningUgly!
12-27-2002, 12:45 AM
No not really. The Royce trade wasn't a big trade...this one I'm saying we lost enough already from the trade..we mineaswell bring him back and hope we can find some good of the trade.

No, the Sox didn't really give up anything to get Royce, (just Aaron Myette & Brian Schmack, if I remember correctly) but the stubbornness of this organization still caused it to be just as costly. Valentin was forced to play out of position for the majority of the '01 & 02 seasons, Herbert Perry was basically given away because of the log-jam & Joe Crede was kept off of the roster for about 2 years longer than he should have been.

I'd much rather see KW admit when he's made a mistake & fix it. Not cross his fingers & hope for things to fix themselves.

kermittheefrog
12-27-2002, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by pudge
I don't doubt you kermit, but... well, I guess I do doubt you a little... I know there were some players a few weeks ago who were not offered deals and therefore cannot re-sign with their old teams until May 1, but I didn't know that applies to all the non-tenders... you'd think that would be explained in an article somewhere... plus it seems weird to me that KW would even be *thinking* about signing Ritchie if he couldn't pitch until May 1... can anyone back all this up? Just curious. Thanks.

(Could this also explain why Parque turned down the Sox offer?)

Heh, I'd love to say don't doubt me but upon further review I made a mixup. This stuff drives me batty because it's so complex. You can't bring back players you didn't offer arbitration to until May 1st. Guys that are non-tendered can play anywhere anytime. Sorry. Ritchie can come back before May 1st. I'll edit my original post to keep further mix up from occuring.

voodoochile
12-27-2002, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
No, the Sox didn't really give up anything to get Royce, (just Aaron Myette & Brian Schmack, if I remember correctly) but the stubbornness of this organization still caused it to be just as costly. Valentin was forced to play out of position for the majority of the '01 & 02 seasons, Herbert Perry was basically given away because of the log-jam & Joe Crede was kept off of the roster for about 2 years longer than he should have been.

I'd much rather see KW admit when he's made a mistake & fix it. Not cross his fingers & hope for things to fix themselves.

Yeah, but if he admitted it was a mistake and cut Royce the Sox would have still had to pay him and as a new GM it wouldm't have endeared him to the cheapest owner in Chicago...

:reinsy
"Who Me?"