PDA

View Full Version : Vegas Odds on Sox & Cubs

Viva Magglio
12-26-2002, 02:50 PM
According to Mike North, who just returned from Las Vegas, these are the odds of the Chicago baseball teams:

Sox Odds to win World Series: 30-1
Sox Odds to win AL Pennant: 12-1
Cubs Odds to win World Series: 15-1
Cubs Odds to win NL Pennant: 7-1

I don't buy the Cubs odds at all. I have heard that the Cubs' odds are always driven down by people (particularly Cub fans) throwing money at them in Vegas without regard to how the team looks on paper.

I don't know what to make of our odds.

whitesoxwilkes
12-26-2002, 03:03 PM
:ass

"i trew down a couple hunjrid on da cubs while i was out der at da bellagio. dusty baker is my guy!"

moochpuppy
12-26-2002, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

Cubs Odds to win World Series: 15-1
Cubs Odds to win NL Pennant: 7-1

I don't buy the Cubs odds at all. I have heard that the Cubs' odds are always driven down by people (particularly Cub fans) throwing money at them in Vegas without regard to how the team looks on paper.

Every Cub fan keeps hoping for that miracle payout. I think the chances of winning that $315 million powerball jackpot were better.

RKMeibalane
12-26-2002, 04:56 PM
I fail to see why anyone expects the Cubs to be competitive in 2003. Aside from naming Dusty Baker manager, they have done little to improve themselves. They traded one overpaid has-been (Todd Hundley) for another overpaid player (Eric Karros). Just days ago, Fred McGriff signed with the Dodgers, taking Karros' place at first base. Moises Alou's skills are declining, and I remain unconvinced that Choi will be the player everyone expects him to be.

Dadawg_77
12-27-2002, 08:41 AM
a couple of "Big" FA signings is all it takes to drive down odds on the Cubs. The Flubbie faithful crackheads will continue to put money down on the their beloved thus Vegas needs to lower the odds so they are not overexposed if the impossible happens.

soxtalker
12-27-2002, 10:10 AM
I wonder if these odds say more about the (perceived) competition that the two clubs have to face. Does the looming presence of the Yankees in the AL skew the Sox odds lower? (The odds quoted in this message string did NOT deal with the division races.)

T Dog
12-27-2002, 11:38 AM
Gambling odds and betting lines are not power ratings. They are set to attract bets. Since, maybe 1984, it wasn't necessary to set the Cubs odds as a true reflection of their chances to win because the Cubs will attract bets from people studid enough to bet on their team. The inverse may be true for recent White Sox teams. I would guess that Sox fans as a whole are more careful when it comes to throwing their money away.

The odds thing is no more than a novelty. Different Vegas sports books are likely to give you different odds. No one should make an issue out of the Vegas line, other than, perhaps, how it reflects the folly of people who bet enough on sorry teams to keep some odds short. That Mike North makes an issue out of what Vegas says colorfully illustrates what a sleaze he is.

Dadawg_77
12-27-2002, 12:02 PM
The thing about odds is watch them and either follow the money or go against the flow. I know some people who made a nice buck on going against the money in the last NCAA tourney.

duke of dorwood
12-27-2002, 05:27 PM
Our 12-1 is generous

PaleHoseGeorge
12-27-2002, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Our 12-1 is generous

Those are all pretty much sucker bets. Vegas knows 99 percent of these bets are strictly made from the heart. They don't need to risk one damned thing making up phony odds. The payouts are so low, it has to be one of the highest margin games Vegas offers.

I admit I'm a sucker. Whenever I'm there, I always put $20 on the Hose to win the series. I consider it less a bet than an affirmation of my undivided loyalty to the team.

Come to think of it, I almost rather give the $20 to Vegas than to Reinsdorf. At least the bookies didn't do anything to make me question my sanity for supporting the Sox.

:gulp:

jeremyb1
12-28-2002, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Those are all pretty much sucker bets. Vegas knows 99 percent of these bets are strictly made from the heart. They don't need to risk one damned thing making up phony odds. The payouts are so low, it has to be one of the highest margin games Vegas offers.

I admit I'm a sucker. Whenever I'm there, I always put $20 on the Hose to win the series. I consider it less a bet than an affirmation of my undivided loyalty to the team.

Come to think of it, I almost rather give the $20 to Vegas than to Reinsdorf. At least the bookies didn't do anything to make me question my sanity for supporting the Sox.

would've been nice to put a bet from the heart down on the angels last year. sometimes teams come out of nowhere. we didn't look nearly as good as we do this season in '00. look at what happened that season? we finally got a good season out of jb and eldred stepped it up. we have two guys with much more potential at this point in rauch and garland. the two of them step up and win 15 games a piece with sub 4 eras we might not be winning the world series but we'll win 90+ games.

kermittheefrog
12-28-2002, 03:01 PM
I like the 12-1 odds on us winning the pennant. Too bad I can't put a bet down.

Lip Man 1
12-28-2002, 09:22 PM
Jeremy:

If you are so confident that the Sox are good for 90+ wins next season PLEASE contact me. I'd be more then happy to make a friendly wager and take your hard earned cash for whatever amount you wish to wager.

Unless this pitching staff is improved, the Sox will be LUCKY to finish over .500.

Lip

Iguana775
12-29-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Jeremy:

If you are so confident that the Sox are good for 90+ wins next season PLEASE contact me. I'd be more then happy to make a friendly wager and take your hard earned cash for whatever amount you wish to wager.

Unless this pitching staff is improved, the Sox will be LUCKY to finish over .500.

Lip

what are you talking about, Lip?? the sox are going to go undefeated!! :)