PDA

View Full Version : yet another pointless puff piece on Shammy

cheeses_h_rice
12-24-2002, 09:17 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/showcase/cs-021223cubs,0,3472468.story?coll=cs%2Dhome%2Dheadli nes

Here's all you need to know:

He already has asked for and apparently received permission from the Cubs, and new manager Dusty Baker, once again to arrive late for spring training, saying, "We know I will be there late. So why worry about that now?"

He has no intention of lowering the volume on his music in the clubhouse, saying, "I don't think my music will bother anybody ."

"I have had a lot of success over my career," he said. "And I know that I am not going to satisfy everybody. I know there are so many people who are going to say negative things about me. But every time I hear something like that, it makes me that much stronger. I really love myself. Whatever else happens out there, I don't have control over."

"I know how to treat people. I know how to give other people their respect. When they don't show me any respect, I don't show no respect. I am a very respectable person. Hopefully my music won't bother nobody ."

"[Critics] have been trying to get to me for a long time. They don't know how to get to me," Sosa said. "That's the only way they think they can get to me. No chance. I am sophisticated mentally ."

Wow. What a newsworthy article!

PaleHoseGeorge
12-24-2002, 09:37 AM
The print edition has the article as the front-page headline in sports.

Of course the Cubune editors and staff don't knowingly shill on behalf of their corporate parent. I think it's silly to accuse them of such a thing.

Nope. Instead they are simply unwitting dupes. There is no way this article has any purpose as the front page feature in the dead of winter unless somebody is just calling it they way they see it. That is to say, the way THEY SEE it. Who they draw their paycheck from had nothing to do with it.

Yeah, sure...

CuckTheFubs
12-24-2002, 09:49 AM
:nandrolone

Sammy Sophisticate

Viva Magglio
12-24-2002, 10:03 AM
Mike Murphy used this article to launch attacks on Sammy Sosa and his selfishness.

jortafan
12-24-2002, 10:05 AM
Not to sound like a shill for the Tribune company, but one has to realize that it is Dec. 24, and there is little real news, both in the metro or sports sections. When one looks at the Tribune front page and sees that big "What If" feature they're running, a profile of Sammy almost seems logical.

The bottom line is that for most people around the U.S., the one professional athlete they can associate with Chicago is Sammy Claus (the thought makes me shudder, but it's true). The Tribune is merely being cognizant of that fact.

So how should we respond?

Personally, I ignored the story in the paper, and I'm going to ignore the link you have offered here. I only wish you hadn't posted the quotes, since their vapidness now makes me ill.

But I'm sure that will pass by tonight, which is a night for festive celebrating, rather than obsessing over anything as pathetically hopeless as Sammy or the Chicago Cubs.

TornLabrum
12-24-2002, 10:19 AM
I really love myself.

Gee, Sammy, who woulda thunk it?

cheeses_h_rice
12-24-2002, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by jortafan
Not to sound like a shill for the Tribune company, but one has to realize that it is Dec. 24, and there is little real news, both in the metro or sports sections. When one looks at the Tribune front page and sees that big "What If" feature they're running, a profile of Sammy almost seems logical.

The bottom line is that for most people around the U.S., the one professional athlete they can associate with Chicago is Sammy Claus (the thought makes me shudder, but it's true). The Tribune is merely being cognizant of that fact.

So how should we respond?

Personally, I ignored the story in the paper, and I'm going to ignore the link you have offered here. I only wish you hadn't posted the quotes, since their vapidness now makes me ill.

But I'm sure that will pass by tonight, which is a night for festive celebrating, rather than obsessing over anything as pathetically hopeless as Sammy or the Chicago Cubs.

Believe me, I won't lose a wink of sleep over this article, nor will I let the Cubune's immense bias sully my Christmas celebration. I just think it's highly amusing that the Cubune keeps printing articles almost exactly like this; the sheer vapidity of this "journalism" puts a big smile on my face, in fact. What, seriously, was the point of this article? To show that Sham-ME has a lot of money and prestige in his own downtrodden, dirt-poor country? Gee, really? To convince Flub fans that Sham-ME and Dusty Baker really, really, really get along, and that 2003 is going to be a magical season?

Yes, one can only talk about how bad the Bears are for so long. But I don't think that excuses the inclusion of garbage like this. The presence of articles like this in the Cubune reeks of "synergy," as they call it. It proves all their talk about the "walls" between Cubune divisions to be a complete lie. That's all.

Hangar18
12-24-2002, 11:26 AM
Well, as Ive always suspected, the BOTH newspapers, especially the Tribune, do as much as they can, to push the cubs down
our throats. That was a stupid article, but, everyone "loves"
the cubs.
Dont know who checks out my "media watch", but its troubling
to see that, since ive been keeping track (12.13.02)
there have been 35 friggin stories about the Cubs (half of them qualifying as "fluff" articles) compared to just 11 for our Sox. Hmmmmm, and which of those 2 teams
have almost LOST 100 Games 4 of the last 6 Years????
I dont think that warrants this much attention. Ridiculous.
THe media is just as much to blame for the Sox "attendance troubles" as they are to Blame for the "Popularity" of Club Wrigley

cheeses_h_rice
12-24-2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Well, as Ive always suspected, the BOTH newspapers, especially the Tribune, do as much as they can, to push the cubs down
our throats. That was a stupid article, but, everyone "loves"
the cubs.
Dont know who checks out my "media watch", but its troubling
to see that, since ive been keeping track (12.13.02)
there have been 35 friggin stories about the Cubs (half of them qualifying as "fluff" articles) compared to just 11 for our Sox. Hmmmmm, and which of those 2 teams
have almost LOST 100 Games 4 of the last 6 Years????
I dont think that warrants this much attention. Ridiculous.
THe media is just as much to blame for the Sox "attendance troubles" as they are to Blame for the "Popularity" of Club Wrigley

Hangar, the Flubbies are just another example of a big turd in a shiny wrapper, that's all. At the center of it is the biggest turd of them all, Sham-ME Soso.

You should read some of the harsh things even Flubbie fans are saying about Sham-ME in this thread on the Flubs MLB board...good reading!

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ml-cubs&msg=31585.01&ctx=0

nixsox
12-24-2002, 03:08 PM
My favorite quote in the article was "I really love myself". I wonder if his wife loved him that night after he got through hitting her over the head with those 700$ champagne bottles. What a moron.

WhiteSox = Life
12-24-2002, 03:17 PM

He has no intention of lowering the volume on his music in the clubhouse, saying, "I don't think my music will bother anybody."

To:

Hopefully my music won't bother nobody."

Apparently, Mr. Sophisticated Sham-ME has problems not contradicting himself. Not to mention, everybody knows that Sham-ME being late to Spring Training doesn't matter, as "when the season is over, the numbers are there." Perhaps everybody's favorite slugger is over-looking that magical "C" word.
And, we all know, only the most sophisticated people use double negatives, don't we Mr. Sophisticated Sham-ME?

::barney&sham
"Y'all don't know nothing 'bout me and the way I'm a bery, bery sophisticated person! Isn't that right, Mr. Dinosaur?"

Only in America.

TornLabrum
12-26-2002, 08:12 AM
Sometimes listening to the flagship station of the Cubs can be interesting. The reporter who attended Sam-ME's holiday bash was interviewed about it this morning. According to the reporter, the Cubs PR person invited him. And, the way the reporter put it, "Only those people that Sammy felt comfortable with were invited."

"So how many media people were there?"

"I was the only one."

This can only lead to one of the following conclusions:

1) This guy was the only reporter invited because Sam-ME only feels comfortable talking to one reporter in town;

2) Only the Cubbune felt that a story was newsworthy, and the rest viewed it as strictly a PR move;

3) This was strictly a matter of corporate synergy, one arm of the Tribune Co.'s media conglomerate helping out the other.

As far as the rest of the interview, I quit listening when the radio host asked for a partial guest list, and they started gushing about the President of the D.R. being there.

:shammy

"It was just an intimate gathering of my close personal friends."

Foulke You
12-26-2002, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Hangar, the Flubbies are just another example of a big turd in a shiny wrapper, that's all. At the center of it is the biggest turd of them all, Sham-ME Soso.

You should read some of the harsh things even Flubbie fans are saying about Sham-ME in this thread on the Flubs MLB board...good reading!

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ml-cubs&msg=31585.01&ctx=0

I have to give credit where credit is due. Most of those Cub fans on the message boards agreed 100% with us about Sosa. Where exactly do all of these Cub fans who actually know what they are talking about reside? They obviously exist SOMEWHERE, but the Cub fans I know kiss Sosa's @$$ on a regular basis.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-26-2002, 12:41 PM
What I find interesting is how easily Shammy can throw down the gauntlet with a new manager and EXPLICITLY lay down the law in the clubhouse. He says he's going to be late for spring training, play his music loud, and generally do whatever he damned well pleases.

I ask the rest of you (especially the Frank Thomas haters), would the Big Hurt get away with any of this?

I'm the first person to defend a star ballplayer that doesn't have the personality to make himself the team leader in the clubhouse. Some people are born to lead, and others aren't. I don't believe for a single minute there is any correlationship between athletic skills and leadership skills.

Sosa's situation is totally different. Here you have a guy leading the clubhouse but only for his own selfish purposes. Shammy isn't shying away from leadership. He seeks it specifically to affirm his right to do as he pleases--the rest of the team be damned. It's OUTRAGEOUS behavior!

How this guy has the media eating out of his hand is beyond me. He makes a mockery of their alleged journalistic integrity. What a ****ing joke this is!

cheeses_h_rice
12-26-2002, 12:54 PM
My favorite quote out of all of these may very well be:

I know that every time I go there, I do my job. I will keep on doing it, and when the season is over, the numbers are there . I don't worry about anything. I know how to take care of myself . And I know how to be serious at my job."

By "the numbers," I guess he isn't referring to Flubbie W's, since I don't see ONE SINGLE REFERENCE to how the Flubs AS A TEAM perform. Not one single mention of "wins" or contending for the division, winning the World Series, anything.

Obviously it ain't about any of that for the Sham-ster. What a g*#damn fraud.

Viva Magglio
12-26-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
How this guy has the media eating out of his hand is beyond me. He makes a mockery of their alleged journalistic integrity. What a ****ing joke this is!

Some media is taking Sosa to task for stuff like this. Mike Murphy and Dan Bernstein have been ripping Sosa, and Bernsie went so far as to call Sosa a megalomaniac.

WinningUgly!
12-26-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
My favorite quote out of all of these may very well be:

By "the numbers," I guess he isn't referring to Flubbie W's, since I don't see ONE SINGLE REFERENCE to how the Flubs AS A TEAM perform. Not one single mention of "wins" or contending for the division, winning the World Series, anything.

Obviously it ain't about any of that for the Sham-ster. What a g*#damn fraud.

And just before that...
"I have a routine every season," Sosa said. "We're going to do the same thing every year, because that is the way that has been good to me."
They do the same thing every year...lose 90+ games.
That way works fine for me. :)