PDA

View Full Version : Slow-swing signs with A's

kermittheefrog
12-24-2002, 03:47 AM
I'm not quite sure whats going on with Beane. Singleton may improve their defense but they are going to have a lot more trouble putting runs on the board with Singleton in center and Long in left.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news/ap/20021223/ap-athletics-singleton.html

HawkDJ
12-24-2002, 11:53 AM
The A's sure have alot of ex-Sox now. Chris Singleton, Chad Bradford, Keith Foulke, Mark Johnson. If only they had hung on to Ray Durham.

RedPinStripes
12-24-2002, 11:56 AM
The downward spiral is continuing for the A's.

Jjav829
12-24-2002, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
The downward spiral is continuing for the A's.

Not until they say goodbye to Hudson, Zito, Mulder, Tejada, Chavez.

MarkEdward
12-24-2002, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I'm not quite sure whats going on with Beane. Singleton may improve their defense but they are going to have a lot more trouble putting runs on the board with Singleton in center and Long in left.

Wow, what a bad move by Beane. Last season, Singleton was worse than Long defensively. Both did nothing on offense too. I'm pretty perplexed right now.

Anyway, I don't think the Athletics will put Long in left. Is David Justice coming back? If not, Piatt will probably get the call.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-24-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Wow, what a bad move by Beane. Last season, Singleton was worse than Long defensively. Both did nothing on offense too. I'm pretty perplexed right now.

Anyway, I don't think the Athletics will put Long in left. Is David Justice coming back? If not, Piatt will probably get the call.

Like a tournament chess player, Beane is probably thinking 2-3 moves ahead. :smile:

:KW
"Hey Boss, what if I told you I can get Chris Singleton back, along with Hudson and Tejada, for Mark Buehrle and Magglio Ordonez?"

:reinsy
"You idiot. We already traded for Timmy Tejada and Miguel Hudson!"

:)

Jerry_Manuel
12-24-2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Like a tournament chess player, Beane is probably thinking 2-3 moves ahead. :smile:

"Hey Boss, what if I told you I can get Chris Singleton back, along with Hudson and Tejada, for Mark Buehrle and Magglio Ordonez?"

Don't forget the cash! :D:

jeremyb1
12-24-2002, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

its baffling if you ask me. why beane who has always championed obp above all else would sign the player with one of the worst obp's over the last few is very puzzling to me. i guess maybe he just wanted to shore up his defense at a low price. still seems hard to explain to me.

kermittheefrog
12-24-2002, 04:35 PM
Beane is trying to help his defense out but at what price? I think the success of this move depends a lot upon who Beane trots out in left field this year. If it's someone who can post an OPS in the neighborhood of 850 then Singleton's defense is worth it because there will be 6-7 legit good hitters in the lineup. If he can't find a good hitting leftfielder and is stuck with Terrence Long, I don't think Singleton makes them a better team at all.

duke of dorwood
12-25-2002, 12:40 PM
Its very unlikely that Beane is done here in December. Lots of left fielders available and we have a couple.