PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever...........?


soxnut
12-23-2002, 07:29 PM
:?: I was wondering, with all of the dissatisfaction that many seem to have with this organization, has anyone ever spoken up about it at Soxfest?

Has anyone ever in one of the seminars:

Said that they thought management was cheap?

Said that they don't believe JR is sincere about winning a championship?

Proclaimed their dislike for the plain look of the ballpark?

Exclaimed any other dissatisfactions that they may have with the front office?

Does anyone here have the guts to ask a question, and if they don't believe in what they are hearing....actuallly say that they don't believe it?? Has anyone ever stood up and said "I'm tired of this bs JR,KW and the rest of you---------snap out of it!!! I don't think I could do it.... I'd be kind of a chicken :(:

Daver
12-23-2002, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
:?: I was wondering, with all of the dissatisfaction that many seem to have with this organization, has anyone ever spoken up about it at Soxfest?

Has anyone ever in one of the seminars:

Said that they thought management was cheap?

Said that they don't believe JR is sincere about winning a championship?

Proclaimed their dislike for the plain look of the ballpark?

Exclaimed any other dissatisfactions that they may have with the front office?

Does anyone here have the guts to ask a question, and if they don't believe in what they are hearing....actuallly say that they don't believe it?? Has anyone ever stood up and said "I'm tired of this bs JR,KW and the rest of you---------snap out of it!!! I don't think I could do it.... I'd be kind of a chicken :(:

All of this was brought up when Jerry Reinsdorf held his "Town Meeting",Jerry told the fans to shut up.

soxnut
12-23-2002, 07:38 PM
when was the town meeting? And was everyone talking at once and being loud and obnoxious?

Or did someone ask a question or make a comment such as:

Fan comment: JR "this team has been in a rut for over 40 years blah......blah blah
question."

JR's response: "yada yada"

Fan response: "I don't believe you"

JR's response: "Shut up!"


???????? :?:

Daver
12-23-2002, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
when was the town meeting? And was everyone talking at once and being loud and obnoxious?

Or did someone ask a question or make a comment such as:

Fan comment: JR "this team has been in a rut for over 40 years blah......blah blah
question."

JR's response: "yada yada"

Fan response: "I don't believe you"

JR's response: "Shut up!"


???????? :?:

I want to say it was in 98 or 99,but I am sure someone here remembers it better than I do,I don't know the details,as I was not there,but it was covered in the papers.

TornLabrum
12-23-2002, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by daver
All of this was brought up when Jerry Reinsdorf held his "Town Meeting",Jerry told the fans to shut up.

:reinsy

"And apparently you didn't listen. So let me put it this way: If you don't shut up, I won't spend money to build a winning team."

PaleHoseGeorge
12-23-2002, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by daver
I want to say it was in 98 or 99,but I am sure someone here remembers it better than I do,I don't know the details,as I was not there,but it was covered in the papers.

I'm not sure about SoxFest, but I know the Sox held a series of town meetings exclusively for season ticketholders during the winter of 1998-99. At at least one of those meetings, a group of 2-3 fans near the front repeatedly asked Reinsdorf a series of questions along the lines of Soxnut's. They grew increasingly impolite and boisterous as Reinsdorf ignored them, until finally he told them something to the effect of "shut up."

So who is to blame? The fans for acting up or Reinsdorf for not answering? Tough call.

To my knowledge, Reinsdorf has never engaged fans in an open forum Q&A at SoxFest. If he is there at all, the only questions posed to him are served softball-style by Hawk Harrelson.

:hawk
"Jerry, this next one is going to have some gitty-up on it..."

Lip Man 1
12-23-2002, 08:19 PM
The meeting also made national news as it was reported in Sports Illustrated.

From what I read a group of Sox fans was pressing Reinsdorf on issues. Yes some were loud. One guy told Reinsdorf that if he wasn't trying to win to sell to someone who will. Others started echoing agreement saying things like "damn right" and so on. That's when Reinsdorf told fans to shut up, that they had their say.

Clearly he was getting agitated over taking this "abuse." After telling the fans to shut up, one fan, went ballistic and started moving towards Uncle Jerry when he was ecorted out by security.

Too bad. I know if I was asking a polite, relevent question and he told me to shut up, Uncle Jerry would be carried out of the meeting.

Lip

Lip

RedPinStripes
12-24-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The meeting also made national news as it was reported in Sports Illustrated.

From what I read a group of Sox fans was pressing Reinsdorf on issues. Yes some were loud. One guy told Reinsdorf that if he wasn't trying to win to sell to someone who will. Others started echoing agreement saying things like "damn right" and so on. That's when Reinsdorf told fans to shut up, that they had their say.

Clearly he was getting agitated over taking this "abuse." After telling the fans to shut up, one fan, went ballistic and started moving towards Uncle Jerry when he was ecorted out by security.

Too bad. I know if I was asking a polite, relevent question and he told me to shut up, Uncle Jerry would be carried out of the meeting.

Lip

Lip

That is one of the many reasons Jerry cant sit in the stands in his own park and needs 8 security guards walking with him if he tries to go through his own park during a game. Unlike Bill Veeck who my dad used to drink beer with in the bleachers.

hose
12-24-2002, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
That is one of the many reasons Jerry cant sit in the stands in his own park and needs 8 security guards walking with him if he tries to go through his own park during a game. Unlike Bill Veeck who my dad used to drink beer with in the bleachers.


The shirtless Legue boys, with even more tattoos , are going to be sitting in the front row at SoxFest while Reinsdork replies to questions from the audience.

"Shut up , Shut-up, Shut-up... errr, ahem, not you Mr. Legue, I was talking to these others idiots" ohhh wait , I meant these other loyal and wonderful fans."

"Is everything ok, can I have Hawk get you some complimentary churros or nachos?"

"Now, back to the question, Yes we were going to sign Maddox but................."

soxnut
12-24-2002, 11:40 AM
:D: Hey I like Bill Veek and I think he was a great guy, but , oh the Sox were just SO competitive in the 70's.............. :(:

And I do remember seeing JR at Soxfest one year,(not in a seminar) out in the open, noone gave him any problems then. :(:


Another point on JR....listen to him when he talks. Every once in a while he studders. There was a guy I used to work with who would studder everytime he was either pressed or lying. Listen for it next time JR is interviewed............... :cool:

voodoochile
12-24-2002, 01:08 PM
I do know that several of the posters on this site have also sent e-mails to the front office over various issues, ranging from the resigning of Frank Thomas to questions/comments about the ballpark. So, to answer your question, people have spoken up. Whether the Sox hear it or not is a different issue. Also, it is pretty much a proven point that this site is monitered by both members of the press and the Sox organization on a regular basis. They have to know how we feel. Again, who knows how much good it does?

jeremyb1
12-24-2002, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
:?: I was wondering, with all of the dissatisfaction that many seem to have with this organization, has anyone ever spoken up about it at Soxfest?

Has anyone ever in one of the seminars:

Said that they thought management was cheap?

Said that they don't believe JR is sincere about winning a championship?

Proclaimed their dislike for the plain look of the ballpark?

Exclaimed any other dissatisfactions that they may have with the front office?

Does anyone here have the guts to ask a question, and if they don't believe in what they are hearing....actuallly say that they don't believe it?? Has anyone ever stood up and said "I'm tired of this bs JR,KW and the rest of you---------snap out of it!!! I don't think I could do it.... I'd be kind of a chicken :(:

i'd say that just about every seminar i've ever been to at sox fest, someone gets up and starts complaining. personally i find it rather obnoxious. i have issues with the franchise obviously but i'm an optimistic person and if i can't be at least somewhat positive and enjoy the team at an event like sox fest its no fun for me. also, i'm not naive enough to pretend as though jr and others are unfamiliar with the typical sox fans complaints. its not like you're bringing any new information to the team's attention. i'd say something like 2 out of 3 sox fans regularly complain about the payroll, the stadium, etc. its nothing new.

voodoochile
12-24-2002, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i'd say that just about every seminar i've ever been to at sox fest, someone gets up and starts complaining. personally i find it rather obnoxious. i have issues with the franchise obviously but i'm an optimistic person and if i can't be at least somewhat positive and enjoy the team at an event like sox fest its no fun for me. also, i'm not naive enough to pretend as though jr and others are unfamiliar with the typical sox fans complaints. its not like you're bringing any new information to the team's attention. i'd say something like 2 out of 3 sox fans regularly complain about the payroll, the stadium, etc. its nothing new.

Well there you go... two-thirds of all Sox fans are upset with some aspect of the team...

I know you are more optimistic than most of us, but by your own admission, well over half the fans are upset with the franchise. What does that say about the people running the team?

RedPinStripes
12-25-2002, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
:D: Hey I like Bill Veek and I think he was a great guy, but , oh the Sox were just SO competitive in the 70's.............. :(:

And I do remember seeing JR at Soxfest one year,(not in a seminar) out in the open, noone gave him any problems then. :(:


Another point on JR....listen to him when he talks. Every once in a while he studders. There was a guy I used to work with who would studder everytime he was either pressed or lying. Listen for it next time JR is interviewed............... :cool:

Sounds like the ever so popular Richard Daley. It's funny to listen to him reply to a negative question. The goofy faces, the high pitch voice, the hands waving around and the studdering.

gosox41
12-25-2002, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
:?: I was wondering, with all of the dissatisfaction that many seem to have with this organization, has anyone ever spoken up about it at Soxfest?

Has anyone ever in one of the seminars:

Said that they thought management was cheap?

Said that they don't believe JR is sincere about winning a championship?

Proclaimed their dislike for the plain look of the ballpark?

Exclaimed any other dissatisfactions that they may have with the front office?

Does anyone here have the guts to ask a question, and if they don't believe in what they are hearing....actuallly say that they don't believe it?? Has anyone ever stood up and said "I'm tired of this bs JR,KW and the rest of you---------snap out of it!!! I don't think I could do it.... I'd be kind of a chicken :(:


Maybe this is the year for fed up White Sox fans to unite and raise a little ruckus at Soxfest. There's always a quesiton/answer session that first day which Williams is in on and Jerry has been there in some previous years. The fans can line up at a microphone and ask their questions. With the media there it would be an excellent opportunity to disprove Jerry's market research studies about his ownership having nothing to do with the fact that the Sox fanbase has been eroding for 8 years now.
Maybe media "friends" of this web site can also be notified as a heads up just to get some press about how bad this team is run.

Bob

:reinsy
You suckers don't have the guts to stand up to me. Now go back to being good die hard fans and continue spending your money while I work on running this team into oblivion.

TornLabrum
12-25-2002, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Maybe this is the year for fed up White Sox fans to unite and raise a little ruckus at Soxfest. There's always a quesiton/answer session that first day which Williams is in on and Jerry has been there in some previous years. The fans can line up at a microphone and ask their questions. With the media there it would be an excellent opportunity to disprove Jerry's market research studies about his ownership having nothing to do with the fact that the Sox fanbase has been eroding for 8 years now.
Maybe media "friends" of this web site can also be notified as a heads up just to get some press about how bad this team is run.

Bob

:reinsy
You suckers don't have the guts to stand up to me. Now go back to being good die hard fans and continue spending your money while I work on running this team into oblivion.

Well, we'll soon find out if this board is monitored by Sox personnel. If that Q&A is suddenly missing from the program, we'll know why.

:KW

"If you think you're going to pin me down at SoxFest, you're crazy."

:reinsy

If more fans would come out to the ball park, I'd have a Q&A at SoxFest."

Lip Man 1
12-25-2002, 07:56 PM
Hal:

What you postulate on is certainly possible BUT ONLY if any Sox lurkers feel there are a hundred or two hundred fans who might actually do that at Sox fest. In other words something more organized.

If it's just a disorganizaed few they'll figure it doesn't matter.

If something like this does come to pass if somebody will give me a heads up, I'll be happy to contact my acquaintances in the media to let them know about it!

Lip

voodoochile
12-25-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Hal:

What you postulate on is certainly possible BUT ONLY if any Sox lurkers feel there are a hundred or two hundred fans who might actually do that at Sox fest. In other words something more organized.

If it's just a disorganizaed few they'll figure it doesn't matter.

If something like this does come to pass if somebody will give me a heads up, I'll be happy to contact my acquaintances in the media to let them know about it!

Lip

Now all we need is some "Sell Jerry, Sell" t-shirts...