PDA

View Full Version : El Caballo

NewyorkSoxFan
12-23-2002, 08:17 PM
Here is a link that has some interesting thoughts on guys who could have break out seasons.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/rogers_phil/1479048.html

NYSF

Lip Man 1
12-23-2002, 09:25 PM
I'm sure it would also help if El Stupido, wouldn't try to steal 3rd base with less then two out and the tying run at the plate, like he has THREE times in the past two seasons.

Lip

HawkDJ
12-23-2002, 09:28 PM
They now have a poll up on this for who you would most want in 2003 and Carlos Lee is in last.

RedPinStripes
12-23-2002, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I'm sure it would also help if El Stupido, wouldn't try to steal 3rd base with less then two out and the tying run at the plate, like he has THREE times in the past two seasons.

Lip

And that's just the beginng of his many "little leaguer acts".

hose
12-24-2002, 01:05 AM
Barring a trade, I see Carlos as the Sox full time DH in 2004 after Hurt leaves.

ma-gaga
12-24-2002, 10:20 AM
Note the author of the article.

:)

awesomefan
12-26-2002, 05:56 PM
I don't want to put all the blame for base running blunders on Carlos or any other White Sox player. Sometimes they are told to run by someone else. Especially by the 3rd base coach, Wavin' Wally (Walter Johnson). Maybe that's why he has finally been let go by the Sox organization.

Carlos has skills.....last year El Caballo was one of only 13 players in the Major League that knocked in over 80 runs & had more walks than strikes outs. Carlos was also rated as the 3rd best left fielder somewhere sometime somehow recently too. I think they were going by his fielding percentage that so many Sox Fans like to make fun of by saying every play is an adventure with Carlos Lee. Remember not to demand too much perfection. It's just not realistic.

RedPinStripes
12-26-2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by awesomefan
I don't want to put all the blame for base running blunders on Carlos or any other White Sox player. Sometimes they are told to run by someone else. Especially by the 3rd base coach, Wavin' Wally (Walter Johnson). Maybe that's why he has finally been let go by the Sox organization.

Carlos has skills.....last year El Caballo was one of only 13 players in the Major League that knocked in over 80 runs & had more walks than strikes outs. Carlos was also rated as the 3rd best left fielder somewhere sometime somehow recently too. I think they were going by his fielding percentage that so many Sox Fans like to make fun of by saying every play is an adventure with Carlos Lee. Remember not to demand too much perfection. It's just not realistic.

I think you mean he was rated 3rd best LF on the Sox. And what kind of dumbass listens to a coach that tells him to steal 3rd in a tie game and 1 out?

Lee has impeoved at the plate and he has decent speed for a big guy, but i think everything else about him sucks.

RKMeibalane
12-26-2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by awesomefan

Carlos has skills.....last year El Caballo was one of only 13 players in the Major League that knocked in over 80 runs & had fewer strikes outs than hits...or something like that(it was in the article that was mentioned above to click on. Carlos was also rated as the 3rd best left fielder somewhere sometime somehow recently too. I think they were going by his fielding percentage that so many Sox Fans like to make fun of by saying every play is an adventure with Carlos Lee. Remember not to demand too much perfection. It's just not realistic.

Awesomefan is correct. Though he has struggled at times in the past, Carlos Lee does increase the Sox chances of winning. He has provided his fair share of offense in critical situations. After Manuel started using him in the three slot, he hit well for the remainder of the season. My patience with Lee is not indefinite, but I think he deserves another opportunity to play left field for the White Sox.

Besides, if he were traded tomorrow, then Joe Borchard would most likely be promoted, before he is ready. Most people around here agree that LTP needs at least a half-season more at Triple-A in order to improve his pitch-selection and plate discipline. I don't like the idea of Borchard striking out 175 times a season.

Even if Borchard were not promoted, the Sox would still be gambling if they traded Lee. Jeff Liefer would become the starting left fielder. I don't need to explain the negative ramifications of that move.

WinningUgly!
12-26-2002, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

Even if Borchard were not promoted, the Sox would still be gambling if they traded Lee. Jeff Liefer would become the starting left fielder. I don't need to explain the negative ramifications of that move.

Lee will not be mistaken for Barry Bonds in LF, that's for sure, but if his plate discipline & offensive production remain at/or above the level reached in the 2nd half of last year, it will more than make up for his defensive inadequacies.

Carlos Lee is still very "raw" in the OF, he'll make a boneheaded play here & there, but he also pulls an occasional gem out of his "back pocket" too.

Jeff Liefer is just a flat out stiff in LF. There's a reason he came up as a 1stbasemen.

LauraJ14
12-27-2002, 06:56 PM
I don't know but Bonds didn't look so great in left field in
the World Series especially in game 6.

RedPinStripes
12-27-2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by LauraJ14

There's a BIG difference there. Have you ever seen a player to put up offensive #'s like Bonds?

WinningUgly!
12-28-2002, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by LauraJ14

Sorry, I meant the 8 time Gold Glove winning Barry Bonds, not the 38 year old in his 17th season, who still does a pretty decent job in the OF.

Foulke You
12-28-2002, 04:07 PM
My favorite thing about Carlos Lee is that he is absolute poison to the Chicago Cubs.:D:

RedPinStripes
12-29-2002, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by Foulke You
My favorite thing about Carlos Lee is that he is absolute poison to the Chicago Cubs.:D:

That he is. :cool: