PDA

View Full Version : Black Jack article

gogosoxgogo
12-22-2002, 09:07 PM
Just wanted to thank the author for the great interview. I enjoyed reading it very much and found some interesting points about Sox management shall we say...

kermittheefrog
12-22-2002, 09:15 PM
Great interview although I must say I don't like the way McDowell's final year in Cleveland was portrayed. His double digit wins were mentioned but what about his 5.11 ERA? He clearly didn't have it anymore that year.

TornLabrum
12-22-2002, 09:19 PM
Great interview, Lip!

FarWestChicago
12-22-2002, 09:24 PM
Good job, Lip. And many thanks to Jack for doing the interview and kicking down the songs. :D:

HawkDJ
12-22-2002, 09:53 PM
That was great!!...but it made me really sad. Sad that I'm too young to remember the days when McDowell pitched for the Sox. My dad brought me to games McDowell pitched but I can only remember going, not the game. I just remember I really liked him. Also, reading that made me sad about how much management screwed up.

But great job with the interview!

Daver
12-22-2002, 10:12 PM
Great Job Mark,Thank you.

WinningUgly!
12-22-2002, 10:30 PM
Just finished reading it...Great interview Lip!

ML: How important was Carlton Fisk to your career?

JM: "He helped tremendously. I really only had about one and a half pitches when I started. I had a fastball and was developing the split finger pitch, I would have gotten killed without a catcher like him. He taught me how to use my fastball. There were games when Iíd throw twenty, twenty five fastballs in a row. Carlton though was moving them around... in and out, up and down and I was able to succeed. The way he prepared, the class that he had, the way he played the game... you canít get better then him."

I'm not saying Alomar = Fisk, but maybe he can bring certain things to the table that Olivio & Paul can't yet.

sox_fan_forever
12-22-2002, 11:17 PM
Great interview! I really enjoyed it also. Very nicely done.

nixsox
12-23-2002, 12:28 AM
Great job Lip. If Frank only would have been a full time DH back then we would really have had a dynamite ballclub with Mcgwire at first. That really brought back a lot of memories. I agree that the Jays were stealing signs in the playoffs. I remember how they rocked him during Game 1.

HITMEN OF 77
12-23-2002, 12:41 AM
Great job Lip. My favorite Sox pitcher from the past few decades. Keep on rockin' Black Jack!!

jortafan
12-23-2002, 09:12 AM
I'm not saying that the views of the "interesting" people in the forums are not worth checking out, but it is because of pieces like this that I keep coming back to this web site. The McDowell piece was an interesting story that I can't think of anyone else who would have bothered to report and run so thoroughly. Good work, Lip.

SI1020
12-23-2002, 11:07 AM
Like I've said before, you don't see many stories like this in the "establishment" press. I'm hoping that journalism like this will put pressure on the above mentioned to improve their product or become irrelevant. Very good job Lip.

HawkDJ
12-23-2002, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Just finished reading it...Great interview Lip!

I'm not saying Alomar = Fisk, but maybe he can bring certain things to the table that Olivio & Paul can't yet.

Wow...someone might actually agree with me. Im shocked.

Lip Man 1
12-23-2002, 11:40 AM
Gang:

because of a local server recognition problem, I have been unable to get on to the WSI site since Friday

I just now read the story. Thank you for your comments.

A few notes for you about this.

Thanks to DAVER for helping to make this possible. Jack was on my "wish list" but I was unable to track him down. One day Dave contacts me and asks if I'd like to interview him.

Dave somehow was able to contact a friend of Jack's, who told him about WSI and an interview request.

Jack readily agreed and you see the result. Thanks Daver!

Also some of you might find some of what Jack said almost unbelieveable. So did I, so to make sure, I went back over certain areas before we started the second day of the interview.

That included Jack's contract status (or lack of same), Reinsdorf's comments to him and of course the Mark McGwire affair.

Jack said that I did NOT misunderstand him and quoted him correctly.

Finally for Andrew. Yes Jack's ERA was high but who would you rather have on the mound that September when the Sox were trying to make the post season? McDowell or Mike Bertotti, or a young Mike Sirotka or Luis Andujar???

Lip

Paulwny
12-23-2002, 12:38 PM
Great article Lip !!!

Daver
12-23-2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Thanks to DAVER for helping to make this possible. Jack was on my "wish list" but I was unable to track him down. One day Dave contacts me and asks if I'd like to interview him.

Dave somehow was able to contact a friend of Jack's, who told him about WSI and an interview request.

Lip

Don't thank me Lip,you saved me the embarrassment of trying to conduct a profesional interview,I learned a long time ago not to try and exceed my limitations. :redneck

I would like to toss some credit to guillenfan13 on this,he is the one that contacted me and provided me with Jack's e-mail address,from there it was just a matter of contacting Jack,convincing him we were legit,and scheduling it.I can handle stuff like that.

mrwag
12-23-2002, 08:40 PM
I sure miss the "glory days" of the early 90s, and that Sox rotation. Man, were those good times. Everyone in the country was buying the new Sox hats, we had winning ballclubs AND we packed the stands. Gee, what a concept!

vegyrex
12-28-2002, 06:21 PM
What an excellent interview!!!! Man, I miss Jack, it was a pleasure watching him pitch. To be honest, I even got a little misty eyed reading the interview. I miss those happy times of the early 90's.

Damn you Mr. Riensdork!! :angry:

guillen4life13
12-30-2002, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Gang:

because of a local server recognition problem, I have been unable to get on to the WSI site since Friday

I just now read the story. Thank you for your comments.

A few notes for you about this.

Also some of you might find some of what Jack said almost unbelieveable. So did I, so to make sure, I went back over certain areas before we started the second day of the interview.

That included Jack's contract status (or lack of same), Reinsdorf's comments to him and of course the Mark McGwire affair.

Jack said that I did NOT misunderstand him and quoted him correctly.

Finally for Andrew. Yes Jack's ERA was high but who would you rather have on the mound that September when the Sox were trying to make the post season? McDowell or Mike Bertotti, or a young Mike Sirotka or Luis Andujar???

Lip

Hey. I haven't been able to post either. I'm in India, with family, and the internet connections have been under maintainence(sp?). In any case, I found the email address at the stickfigure website some 6- 7 months ago, and I've communicated with Jack a few times regarding mainly music but also some baseball talk. I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm a friend of his :D: but I was able to find the email address, and was quite surprised when he replied. But anyways, Lip, really good interview... thanks.

And it was my pleasure daver.

I'll probably be able to start posting regularly again starting Jan 3 when I get back. Take it easy.