PDA

View Full Version : Is Elarton worth it?

siugrad25
12-21-2002, 09:24 PM
This from ESPN.com probably from earlier today:

DENVER -- Colorado Rockies catcher Gary Bennett and right-handed pitcher Scott Elarton became unrestricted free agents Friday night when the team declined to offer them contracts for 2003.

Elarton, 26, did not pitch last season after surgery on his right shoulder March 8. He was acquired from the Houston Astros in a trade on July 31, 2001.

Elarton is 32-23 in 124 career games, including 71 starts.

I mean if the Scrubs can sign Estes for $3 million, isn't it worth a try to take a chance on Elarton? I know he was injured, but maybe we can get him for a decent price.

He didn't pitch bad for the Astros before moving to Colorado, and I need a pitcher, I'm getting desperate. IF we stick with this rotation, we're in for another long year.

Iguana775
12-21-2002, 09:27 PM
for cheap, yea....why not?

Daver
12-21-2002, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by siugrad25

He didn't pitch bad for the Astros before moving to Colorado, and I need a pitcher, I'm getting desperate. IF we stick with this rotation, we're in for another long year.

Elarton is a bigger question mark than either Rauch or Biddle,at least with them it is a known quantity on how far along in the recovery stage they are.

kermittheefrog
12-22-2002, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by daver
Elarton is a bigger question mark than either Rauch or Biddle,at least with them it is a known quantity on how far along in the recovery stage they are.

Elarton is a fine example of how to ruin a good young pitcher. He'll sign a minor league deal somewhere, might as well be here but don't expect much from his frayed shoulder.

doctor30th
12-22-2002, 01:44 AM
And most likely he's going back to the rockies.

Elarton, who earned $1.4 million in 2002 when he missed the entire season because of shoulder surgery, will return to the Rockies.

He has agreed to a one-year deal with a base salary of $500,000 - $300,000 of which is guaranteed - and incentives that could add an additional $1 million. If the Rockies had tendered Elarton a contract they would have had to offer at least $1.12 million base salary.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/rockies/article/0,1299,DRMN_19_1624507,00.html