PDA

View Full Version : You'll get nothing and Like it!

RedPinStripes
12-21-2002, 03:21 PM
Seems to be what Sox fans will have to go through in 2003. Not that it's the first year.

It really pisses fans off like me who actually thought Jerry and Eddie were going to Build many championship teams for the sox . Then in 84, Jerry showed his true colors. Hell, I think the 83 payroll was more then KW is allowed .

We'll know when we have a good owner when the team reloadds instead of rebuilds like the braves and yankees do.

And when the day ever comes that the sox get to the series, how much you wanna bet there will be a big bashing soming from the media and baseball fans around the world knowing that they threw the series back in 1919. life as a sox fan sucks! But i dont know any better. :gulp:

Daver
12-21-2002, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

And when the day ever comes that the sox get to the series, how much you wanna bet there will be a big bashing soming from the media and baseball fans around the world knowing that they threw the series back in 1919. life as a sox fan sucks! But i dont know any better.

To quote Bill Veeck:

"If there is any justice in the world, to be a Sox fan frees a man from any other form of penance."

jeremyb1
12-21-2002, 08:01 PM
Seems to be what Sox fans will have to go through in 2003. Not that it's the first year.

It really pisses fans off like me who actually thought Jerry and Eddie were going to Build many championship teams for the sox . Then in 84, Jerry showed his true colors. Hell, I think the 83 payroll was more then KW is allowed .

We'll know when we have a good owner when the team reloadds instead of rebuilds like the braves and yankees do.

And when the day ever comes that the sox get to the series, how much you wanna bet there will be a big bashing soming from the media and baseball fans around the world knowing that they threw the series back in 1919. life as a sox fan sucks! But i dont know any better. :gulp:

we'd all like a number two starter but the last time we were in a similar situation we won 95 games. i think we should see how well pitchers like rauch, biddle, and garland do before we completely fly off the handle. if rauch mimics buehrle's first full season and wins 15 games we might be glad he wasn't pushed out of the rotation by mediocre starters. if garland matures into a cy young candidate we might not need a two as badly as we think. these reasons don't justify failing to trade for a player like millwood for nothing if it was within our means but they may make it easier to take.

TornLabrum
12-21-2002, 09:36 PM
You know...the title of this thread could very well serve as the Sox marketing slogan for 2003:

"The Chicago White Sox: You'll take nothing and like it!"

RedPinStripes
12-21-2002, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
we'd all like a number two starter but the last time we were in a similar situation we won 95 games. i think we should see how well pitchers like rauch, biddle, and garland do before we completely fly off the handle. if rauch mimics buehrle's first full season and wins 15 games we might be glad he wasn't pushed out of the rotation by mediocre starters. if garland matures into a cy young candidate we might not need a two as badly as we think. these reasons don't justify failing to trade for a player like millwood for nothing if it was within our means but they may make it easier to take.

How many years have we waited for pitchers to develop? Jerry has turned us into dreamers and that's about all we've been doing on this board and every other board is dreaming..."what if", "He will be good some day", yada yada yada! I'm sick of dreaming. I have one hell of a speech prepared at soxfest.

RedPinStripes
12-21-2002, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
You know...the title of this thread could very well serve as the Sox marketing slogan for 2003:

"The Chicago White Sox: You'll take nothing and like it!"

LOL!

jeremyb1
12-22-2002, 03:06 AM
How many years have we waited for pitchers to develop? Jerry has turned us into dreamers and that's about all we've been doing on this board and every other board is dreaming..."what if", "He will be good some day", yada yada yada! I'm sick of dreaming. I have one hell of a speech prepared at soxfest.

i don't get it. are you arguing young pitchers are worthless and we shouldn't attempt to develop them? buehrle, kip wells, and garland would be a pretty good counter argument to that if you ask me. a better one would be zito, hudson, and mulder.

i fail to see how knowing that we can bring valdes in and end up with 10 wins and a 4.50 era is that much better than seeing what rauch can do. its not like we have the option to bring in maddux, glavine, and clemens but we're hoping rauch and biddle will cut it. the free agents we can bring in at this point are highly mediocre players.

rauch has been given only two starts when he's been anywhere near full strength so explain to me how we've spent ages waiting for him and he's shown us he's not going to pan out.

kermittheefrog
12-22-2002, 03:29 AM
I say if we bring in one guy out of a group of Valdes, Paul Wilson, Steve Woodard and John Halama to add to Buehrle, Wright, Garland and Rauch, I'd be confident we'd have a solid rotation next year. Not a great one but one that won't hurt us. We have enough arms to field a better than average pen, we have a good offense and a potentially good defense (lets not even get into an argument about this because I doubt many others buy into this). I think we have a team that can beat the Twins. Thats what we gotta do. Ideally we'd get one more starter the quality of Buehrle if none of the other young pitchers make the jump up to that level. Then we'd be a force in the playoffs.

doctor30th
12-22-2002, 03:32 AM
Wow! Valdes, Paul Wilson, Steve Woodard and John Halama. there are alot better options out there as free agent pitchers, these 4 would all be at the bottom of my list.

RedPinStripes
12-22-2002, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i don't get it. are you arguing young pitchers are worthless and we shouldn't attempt to develop them? buehrle, kip wells, and garland would be a pretty good counter argument to that if you ask me. a better one would be zito, hudson, and mulder.

i fail to see how knowing that we can bring valdes in and end up with 10 wins and a 4.50 era is that much better than seeing what rauch can do. its not like we have the option to bring in maddux, glavine, and clemens but we're hoping rauch and biddle will cut it. the free agents we can bring in at this point are highly mediocre players.

rauch has been given only two starts when he's been anywhere near full strength so explain to me how we've spent ages waiting for him and he's shown us he's not going to pan out.

There's nothing wrong with developing young pitcher at all, but the Sox never keep them. Look at what they're doing to Buehrle. Right now the leader of this staff is 23 years old. He'll be gone by the time he's 26 becuase JR wont pay pitchers. Then we'll have another rotation full of undeveloped youngsters that will get their raise with someone else. Did you really think Roger Clemans was washed up 5 years ago when Schu had the chance to get him?

4 years from now this team will be rebuilding AGAIN instead of reloading. nothing wrong with 3 good prospects such as rauch, Stewart, and Biddle or garland as long as there are 2 established pitchers there with a veteran that's a hell of a lot better then ritchie. I've just had it with the sox cheap ways and trying to get the fans to buy tickets off the future that they wil just rip apart anyway.

jeremyb1
12-22-2002, 08:09 PM
There's nothing wrong with developing young pitcher at all, but the Sox never keep them. Look at what they're doing to Buehrle. Right now the leader of this staff is 23 years old. He'll be gone by the time he's 26 becuase JR wont pay pitchers. Then we'll have another rotation full of undeveloped youngsters that will get their raise with someone else. Did you really think Roger Clemans was washed up 5 years ago when Schu had the chance to get him?

4 years from now this team will be rebuilding AGAIN instead of reloading. nothing wrong with 3 good prospects such as rauch, Stewart, and Biddle or garland as long as there are 2 established pitchers there with a veteran that's a hell of a lot better then ritchie. I've just had it with the sox cheap ways and trying to get the fans to buy tickets off the future that they wil just rip apart anyway.

lets say for arguments sake buehrle will definately be gone in 4 years, how can you rule out the possibility to win anything in four years. clearly we'd all like buehrle to stay but if we lose him after we have a world series under our belt, it'd be a lot easier to take. no player is going to be here forever and four years strikes me as a pretty long time right now. its not like we're the detroit tigers or something and we're not going to be able to do anything with buehrle in the next four years. we have a solid winning ballclub here.

kermittheefrog
12-22-2002, 08:20 PM
I think four years gives the Sox a good timetable to win a championship. It will see the prime of Lee & Konerko's careers, just after the prime of Magglio's and likely the last of Thomas' effectiveness. Joe Crede may only be in his first full season next year but he'll already be 25 and old enough you'd expect a major ocntribution. Garland and Wright should develop. Who knows what Rauch will do. I think our core talent over the next four years gives us an excellent opportunity to win the series. Unfortunately I don't believe our GM is ideal for filling in the rest of the team. We'll see how that goes.