PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite sox moment of 2002

chisox06
12-21-2002, 01:37 AM
Although the season was a dissaspointment I know we all have a favorite moment from last year.

For me, the only game I could attend all year was the Saturday game between the sox and cubs where the sox came back from 8-0. During the game I was getting crap from these 2 cub fans all day and unfortunately I had to keep my mouth shut for the begining innings as the sox were getting pounded. When Konerko hit go ahead HR that has to go down as one of my favorite moments of all time as I got out of my seat and repetidely hit the cubs' fans in the face with my Sox rally towel. Man was that sweet.

T Dog
12-21-2002, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by chisox06
Although the season was a dissaspointment I know we all have a favorite moment from last year.

For me, the only game I could attend all year was the Saturday game between the sox and cubs where the sox came back from 8-0

That was a Friday. I was working that afternoon.

The September Sunday-afternoon ninth-inning win against Cleveland was sweet, with the two-out, two-strike Frank Thomas homer to tie and the Joe Crede hit to win. To make it sweeter, Royce Clayton was released after the game, even though between innings late in the game he had been featured as one of "your hard-working White Sox."

pudge
12-21-2002, 02:58 AM
With the Sox only trip to Seattle being for the Opening Series, I had a blast being able to watch them win Opening Day in person. Of course, it was all downhill after that, as they proceeded to BLOW big leads the next two games. Man, I was glad they were never coming back to Seattle after that series!

Next fav. would have to be the comeback over the Cubs, and another one being Borchard's homer in his first game (and Olivio's too - wow, pretty sad when those are your top season highlights).

jortafan
12-21-2002, 11:00 AM
I have three favorite moments from 2002

1) The first seven innings of the White Sox/Yankees game of May 29. Watching Roger Clemens pitch a top-notch game against the Sox only to realize he was LOSING to Mark Buehrle had me thinking the Sox were finally ready to start playing ball with the big boys of the American League. (The last two innings of that game qualify as thelow point of the season, in my opinion).
2) Watching the end of the Saturday afternoon Sox/Cubs game at Comiskey, the one that ended with Sammy having the chance to be the hero and give the Cubs the lead, only to be struck out by Antonio Osuna. As someone of Mexican descent, I was asked during that game whether I felt any particular ethnic pride related to Sosa. I responded that the ethnic pride I felt was when I saw a Mexicano like Osuna strike out Dominican Sammy. Needless to say, I was NOT a very popular person among several Cubs fans I know.
3) Prior to a Sunday afternoon game in July against the Indians, the White Sox honored Ted "Double Duty" Radcliffe's 100th birthday, allowing him to throw out the first pitch. Watching him stand up from his wheelchair with Harold Baines at his side to help prop him up so he could toss the ball was actually a touching moment, in my opinion. Of course, Todd Ritchie then had to go out and pitch one of his worst games of the season.

white sox bill
12-21-2002, 11:51 AM
My fav. moment came on Sept. 29 2002--the final game of the season! It was over FINALLY!
Bill

HawkDJ
12-21-2002, 12:34 PM
It probably should be the big comeback against the Cubs but unfortuanately I couldn't watch it, had to rely on highlights. Stupid family get togethers. So for the things I actually saw...

1) Being at Wrigley during the 3rd game of the Cubs-Sox series which the Sox won and watching the disappointment of Cubs fans.
2) Getting 2 of my e-mails read by Hawk and DJ!!! :D:
3) Olivo's first at bat in his career home run.

Tragg
12-21-2002, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by pudge
With the Sox only trip to Seattle being for the Opening Series, I had a blast being able to watch them win Opening Day in person.
Pudge, don't feel bad: I've seen the Sox play 8 times in Seattle (my brother lives there and I plan my visits around the Sox) and we are 0-8. Three of the 8 were 9th or extra inning rallies. I had the pleasure of watching Navarro walk the bases loaded in the 10th in the kingdome; Buehner hit a grand slam off of Howry (I think). Couple that with 40K loud fans, and it really sucks to watch the Sox lose in Seattle.

ihatethecubs
12-21-2002, 06:42 PM
yes, i too attended the cubs sox 8-0 comeback game and it was amazing. i have the whole game on tape too. it was one of my favorite games ever. i also liked the game when the sox were down a few runs to the mighty 12 game winning streak indians, and maggs hit a grand slam and we pounded them to end their streak in april and i was at that game too, there were fights breaking out left and right and women exposing themselves and guys in indians jerseys getting beers thrown on them, good times.

duke of dorwood
12-21-2002, 07:55 PM
Watching Carlos Lee's rocket leave Wrigley Field in the Sunday Game they bombing Kerry Wood-while I was there

Chisox_cali
12-21-2002, 11:16 PM
Jon Garland dominates the Red Sox at Fenway, on the same day as the new savior debuts on the north side.

chisox06
12-22-2002, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by ihatethecubs
yes, i too attended the cubs sox 8-0 comeback game and it was amazing. i have the whole game on tape too. it was one of my favorite games ever. i also liked the game when the sox were down a few runs to the mighty 12 game winning streak indians, and maggs hit a grand slam and we pounded them to end their streak in april and i was at that game too, there were fights breaking out left and right and women exposing themselves and guys in indians jerseys getting beers thrown on them, good times.

On tape, man wish I could get a copy of that I never actually saw the game on TV I only get WGN here in Michigan. Gotta go down as one of my best sox moments ever.

Dadawg_77
12-22-2002, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by chisox06
On tape, man wish I could get a copy of that I never actually saw the game on TV I only get WGN here in Michigan. Gotta go down as one of my best sox moments ever.

Visit Lip's thread in the parking lot. He maybe able to help you.

doublem23
12-22-2002, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by T Dog
That was a Friday. I was working that afternoon.

Yeah, I remember that. I was working that day, too, and since my place of work is in the Northwest Suburbs (AKA.. Cubbie Kingdom... AKA... The Porthole to hell), I figured I was in for a lot of cheap shots...

Thank God they won. That was a good game.

I also remember the one against Cleveland where they bombed the 11-1 Indians. The place was going crazy, fights were breaking out everywhere, girls were showing their boobies.... Life at Comiskey... Can't beat it. :smile:

ScottyTheSoxFan
12-22-2002, 07:46 PM
September 9, 2002: Waived shortstop Royce Clayton for the purpose of giving him his unconditional release.

jeremyb1
12-22-2002, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Jon Garland dominates the Red Sox at Fenway, on the same day as the new savior debuts on the north side.

yep. that was definately mine.

gosox3072
12-24-2002, 01:04 AM
Defenately being at the fridya sox flubs game at comiskey, i believe that was the loudest ive ever heard comiskey.

RUnner up has to be being at the sunday game at wrigley in the bleachers wearing my CUBS SUCK hat!!!! Dissapointed cubs fans HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAA
GOSOX!!!!!

Foulke You
12-26-2002, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali

I'm torn between this game since it was awesome to be there at Fenway for it and the awesome 8-0 comeback which I also had the immense pleasure of attending :D: . I remember being real nervous when some confident Red Sox fans asked me if Garland was any good. I remember saying "hit or miss". Fortunately for me, he pitched the game of his life. Kudos to Foulke for saving the day in the 9th inning as well. They will both stick out as the 2 highest points in the 2002 season.

Honorable Mention-

Saturday Comiskey game where Sammy struck out with the bases loaded in the 9th and Frank Thomas took Mark "savior" Prior deep to left field.

Hot April night against the chest thumping Indians who strode proudly into Comiskey with their 11-1 record only to get the tar beat out of them. One wild crazy night at Comiskey.

whitesoxwilkes
12-26-2002, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You

Hot April night against the chest thumping Indians who strode proudly into Comiskey with their 11-1 record only to get the tar beat out of them. One wild crazy night at Comiskey.

Ohh, what a night that was. The tone was set before the game even started when the PA system was blaring that Whitesnake song that Chuck Finley's wife dances in the video for...and then Lawton dropping an easy popup in the first, the fights, the chicks flashing, beer, more beer, getting my whole section to bow down to Maggs in RF (and having him point at us and laugh), more beer...I went to 50+ games last year, but I think the crowd for that one was by far the best.

Foulke You
12-27-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
Ohh, what a night that was. The tone was set before the game even started when the PA system was blaring that Whitesnake song that Chuck Finley's wife dances in the video for...and then Lawton dropping an easy popup in the first, the fights, the chicks flashing, beer, more beer, getting my whole section to bow down to Maggs in RF (and having him point at us and laugh), more beer...I went to 50+ games last year, but I think the crowd for that one was by far the best.

I was sitting in RF too behind the bullpen sports bar. There was a 50 year old bald guy who beat the crap out of this 20 year old kid who was starting trouble. Happened 3 rows behind me. I also remember a contingent of unsuspecting Tribe fans who were at that game thinking it would merely be another Indians/Sox game at Comiskey who were getting bagged on the whole game by merciless Sox fans.

CHISOXFAN13
12-27-2002, 12:12 PM
Although the season for all practical purposes was over, one of my top moments of the year was late in the season watching Crede tie the game with a homer and then winning it an inning later with another jack.

The Friday Cubs/Sox game at Commy was also one of the best. I had to be restrained by a couple classy Sox fans after a piss drunk Cub fun started laughing when Paulie got plunked in the head. I guess Paulie and all Sox fans got the last laugh.

94 days......

RKMeibalane
12-27-2002, 03:20 PM
I don't have a particular moment that I enjoyed, but rather, a series of evens surrounding the development of Joe Crede. Seeing Crede playing third base for the Sox reminded me a lot of Robin Ventura in his younger days. Crede has the same calm demeanor and poise that Robin did.

I also enjoyed Frank Thomas' mini-rampage against the Minnesota Twins last July 22-24, when he homered in three straight games against the Twins. Most notable among the three homeruns were his 495-foot shot onto the left-field concourse, and his homerun the following afternoon. You may remember that Frank was hit in his next at-bat, so Jose Valentin "lost" his bat into the Twins dugout, narrowly missing Rod Gardenhire.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-27-2002, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
...I also enjoyed Frank Thomas' mini-rampage against the Minnesota Twins last July 22-24, when he homered in three straight games against the Twins. Most notable among the three homeruns were his 495-foot shot onto the left-field concourse, and his homerun the following afternoon. You may remember that Frank was hit in his next at-bat, so Jose Valentin "lost" his bat into the Twins dugout, narrowly missing Rod Gardenhire.

The 495 foot homer was probably my favorite memory, too. That homerun shot nearly hit my friend, bouncing off the back rail where we were sitting. Valentin "losing" his bat into the Twins dugout was classic, too. Pounding the Flubs would probably round out my top-three.