PDA

View Full Version : non-tendered players

jeremyb1
12-20-2002, 11:15 PM
espn has an entire list here (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1220/1480118.html). i'd love to sign ligtenburg, yan, or even al levine to bolster the pen even more. also, i think eric owens would make a good fourth outfielder.

WhiteSoxWinner
12-20-2002, 11:58 PM
Wow, there are decent names on that list. Al Levine would be a great pick up for the Sox. I also wouldn't mind seeing Junior Cruz getting on this team. As far as pitchers, I was always a little partial to Jeff Suppan. I think he needs a change of scenery and to get away from KC. Then agin, who doesn't want to get away from KC?

hold2dibber
12-21-2002, 12:48 AM
Catalanatto and Fulmer are the guys who interest me most off that list. There is not a starting pitcher in the lot that I'd be interested in; I'd rather give the starts to Biddle and/or Rauch to see what they can do.

kermittheefrog
12-21-2002, 02:54 AM
I've already talked about liking Cruz Jr. I think he could give us a .250/.330/.500 season in center field which would be the best we got out of center since Singleton's rookie year. I also like Wilson who has his own thread too. I really like Catalanatto but don't have a clue how he'd fit in on our club. Guess he wouldn't help that much which is sad because he's a valuable bat.

Tragg
12-21-2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
Wow, there are decent names on that list. Al Levine would be a great pick up for the Sox.
I still have nightmares from when Al Levine pitched for us - with his cohorts Tom Fordham and Larry Thomas, a worse bottom half of a bullpen was not to be found.

I remember watching the then Nashville AAA Sox in the 4th game of a 4 game sweep of the N.O. Zephyrs in New Orleans in 1997 or 1998; I walked down to the Nashville bullpen and talked to Jeff Darwin (who saved 3 of the 4 games) and suggested that the entire Sox pen be optioned to Nashville, to be replaced with the Nashville bullpen.

MarkEdward
12-21-2002, 12:44 PM
I'll throw out some players:

Gary Bennett (better option than Alomar)
Desi Relaford
Dennys Reyes
John Thomson
Kerry Ligtenberg (although his K rates aren't very good)

RichH55
12-21-2002, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I've already talked about liking Cruz Jr. I think he could give us a .250/.330/.500 season in center field which would be the best we got out of center since Singleton's rookie year. I also like Wilson who has his own thread too. I really like Catalanatto but don't have a clue how he'd fit in on our club. Guess he wouldn't help that much which is sad because he's a valuable bat.

Unless we make a deal with a guy Like PK or Lee...I doubt we could interest a guy like Catalanatto...but with this type of market out there, we can pick up a bat if need be

kermittheefrog
12-21-2002, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
I'll throw out some players:

Gary Bennett (better option than Alomar)
Desi Relaford
Dennys Reyes
John Thomson
Kerry Ligtenberg (although his K rates aren't very good)

Gary Bennett would have been a MUCH better option than Alomar.

dkings34
12-21-2002, 04:54 PM
I for one think that we could sign FA's like ramiro mendoza and kenny rogers to help the starting rotation for cheap.

starting rotation W/L ERA

M. BUEHRLE 19-12 3.58
R. MENDOZA 8-4 3.44
K. ROGERS 13-8 3.84
J.GARLAND 12-12 4.58
D.WRIGHT 14-12 5.18

since cheap probably the only thing we will http://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Idea.gifget.

hempsox
12-21-2002, 05:12 PM
Who on this list has the worst facial hair/mullet...They will be the one we sign. KW wants his pitching staff to scare the oposition. If not with their stuff then with God awful shaving and barber decisions. The Sox pitching staff and Braun or some other razor company could have a full season of fun and comercials. This needs to happen!

Daver
12-21-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by hempsox
Who on this list has the worst facial hair/mullet...They will be the one we sign. KW wants his pitching staff to scare the oposition. If not with their stuff then with God awful shaving and barber decisions. The Sox pitching staff and Braun or some other razor company could have a full season of fun and comercials. This needs to happen!

The Sox do lead the league in bad facial hair.

:)

Tragg
12-21-2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by daver
The Sox do lead the league in bad facial hair.

:)

Led by Jerry Manuel, who per rumored medical reports, suffers from an ingrown beard that is growing into his brain.

kermittheefrog
12-21-2002, 05:51 PM
Back to baseball, I think John Halam would be another decent low-risk signing.

jeremyb1
12-21-2002, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by dkings34
I for one think that we could sign FA's like ramiro mendoza and kenny rogers to help the starting rotation for cheap.

starting rotation W/L ERA

M. BUEHRLE 19-12 3.58
R. MENDOZA 8-4 3.44
K. ROGERS 13-8 3.84
J.GARLAND 12-12 4.58
D.WRIGHT 14-12 5.18

since cheap probably the only thing we will http://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Idea.gifget.

that looks good on paper but it needs to be noted that mendoza's numbers were in relief and that rogers is near 40, struggled a great deal the two seasons before last year, and wants a lot of money. i'd find it incredibly hard to deny rauch and biddle even the opportunity to hold down a roster spot in favor of those two pitchers. i feel like a broken record here at times but i don't think its reasonable to develop a pitcher like rauch in particular and then not even allow him to compete for a rotation spot.

ScottyTheSoxFan
12-23-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
I still have nightmares from when Al Levine pitched for us - with his cohorts Tom Fordham and Larry Thomas, a worse bottom half of a bullpen was not to be found.
dont forget mike bertotti, who would go on to a hall of fame career

Foulke You
12-23-2002, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
dont forget mike bertotti, who would go on to a hall of fame career

The nightmares you just drummed up in my brain by mentioning the name of Bertotti.

Lip Man 1
12-23-2002, 07:40 PM
Ah yes, the infamous 1996 White Sox bullpen that set a record (since broken by the Orioles) for most blown saves in a season. You also forgot to mention Matt Karchner, and Tony Castillo.

and for once I agree with Andrew, John Halama would be a great pickup by the Sox.

Paul Sullivan already asked Kenny Williams about Mendoza and was told "he's asking for too much..." (naturally, anybody who wants over minimum wage is too much for the Sox!)

Kenny Rogers is represented by Scott Boras. End of discussion for the Sox organizational persepective...)

Lip