PDA

View Full Version : Parque Turns Down Sox' Offer

Unregistered
12-20-2002, 10:41 PM
From the Tribune:
Parque, who rejected the Sox's one-year, $500,000 offer, was 1-4 with a 9.95 earned-run average while trying to bounce back from a torn labrum.
Only 27, Parque may sign an incentive-laden deal with Cleveland or Seattle. Williams said the door is open for Parque's return if he doesn't find a better offer, but Parque parted on bad terms after not pitching in September.
What a tool. Offering that has-been anything is charity, IMO. See ya, Jimmy!

voodoochile
12-20-2002, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered

If any other team offers him more than a minor leage contract with a chance to make the big league squad, they will have over paid...

hold2dibber
12-21-2002, 01:06 AM
I still like Parque. If he hadn't been hurt, I think he'd be an established, solid starter right now (in the mold of someone like Kirk Reuter or Cory Lidle).

Unregistered
12-21-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I still like Parque. If he hadn't been hurt, I think he'd be an established, solid starter right now (in the mold of someone like Kirk Reuter or Cory Lidle). I Believe that, but the fact is Parque may never return to anything resembling what he used to be. Seems like the Sox tried to do the right thing by throwing him a $500,000 bone and he's still holding a grudge that he wasn't brought up again in September...

RedPinStripes
12-21-2002, 12:56 PM
Bu Bye ********!

RichH55
12-21-2002, 01:16 PM
This afternoon I saw Parque driving just as fast as he can out of town....around 84mph

RedPinStripes
12-21-2002, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
This afternoon I saw Parque driving just as fast as he can out of town....around 84mph

Did you notice him whinning and bitching up a storm? :D:

Chisoxfn
12-21-2002, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by RichH55

When the cop pulled him over did he say he was going 89?

MetalliSox
12-21-2002, 02:04 PM
Don't let the door hit ya, where the good Lord split ya!

RKMeibalane
12-21-2002, 02:14 PM
Now that Parque is gone, the Sox have finally rid themselves of their two most disruptive players (Royce Clayton). I won't miss Parque. I'm still not happy about his performance in that infamous Mike Cameron game on May 2. I also did not like the way he handled his demotion to Triple-A Charlotte. He should have known that his performance at the Major League level was not acceptable. Anyone who posts an ERA over nine doesn't deserve to remain on a Major League roster for long.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-21-2002, 02:56 PM
I'm guessing the remainder of Jim Parque's career will go the way of Jason Bere's. Plenty of teams will be willing to take a flyer on him until he inevitably reaches the end of the line. And we ALL KNOW where that is!

:lynch&mcfail
"We're pleased to add Jimmy as a member of our organization."

:ohno
"'Member' is the word for him, too."

RedPinStripes
12-21-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I'm guessing the remainder of Jim Parque's career will go the way of Jason Bere's. Plenty of teams will be willing to take a flyer on him until he inevitably reaches the end of the line. And we ALL KNOW where that is!

:lynch&mcfail
"We're pleased to add Jimmy as a member of our organization."

:ohno
"'Member' is the word for him, too."

There's a difference between Butter and Bere though.......

Bere actually showed potential of being a stud until he got hurt. He had a few real good games with the sox when he came up.

Butter never looked dominant. Only thing he has going for him is he can throw left handed, even if it's 80mph.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-21-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
...Butter never looked dominant. Only thing he has going for him is he can throw left handed, even if it's 80mph.

I guess you answered your own question with that one. How long has Chuck McElroy been kicking around the league with no more credentials than on which hand he wears his glove? :smile:

RedPinStripes
12-21-2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I guess you answered your own question with that one. How long has Chuck McElroy been kicking around the league with no more credentials than on which hand he wears his glove? :smile:

Back in hs i was able to hit 80 on the gun! Then i would tear a labrum. Damn if i only threw left handed! :smile:

RKMeibalane
12-21-2002, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Back in hs i was able to hit 80 on the gun! Then i would tear a labrum. Damn if i only threw left handed! :smile:

You tore your labrum? Was Nardi Contreras your pitching coach? :D:

duke of dorwood
12-21-2002, 07:39 PM
They offered him 500,000 only out of respect for his pre-injury contributions to the team. I commend the Sox for a classy move there. His mouth didnt warrant the offer, not to mention the (shall I say it) diminished skills.

RedPinStripes
12-21-2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
You tore your labrum? Was Nardi Contreras your pitching coach? :D:

Actually i dislocated my shoulder playing hockey in hs . The labrum part was just to add some spice to the ripping of parque. :smile:

Iguana775
12-21-2002, 10:29 PM

LMAO!! i second that!! Jimmy, stick to sacking groceries

Daver
12-21-2002, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
They offered him 500,000 only out of respect for his pre-injury contributions to the team. I commend the Sox for a classy move there. His mouth didnt warrant the offer, not to mention the (shall I say it) diminished skills.

Given a little time Kirk Champion and Don Cooper could probably turn Parque into an effective junk ball pitcher,he has good enough control for it,had he accepted the minor league deal the Sox offered I'm sure that was the plan for him.

I think he will lose some of his attitude when he realizes there isn't a big market for a left handed power pitcher that throws in the high 80's.

siugrad25
12-21-2002, 10:43 PM
I used to like Parque, but he hasn't shown anything in either the pros or the minors this past year.

When your fast ball tops out at mid-80s and you have virtually no movement elsewhere, you have to be gone.

And the whinning was ridiculous.

No Royce, No Parque and hopefully no Ritchie. If we shed our losses maybe we can pick up 2-3 wins. YEAH!!!!

ScottyTheSoxFan
12-22-2002, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by siugrad25
No Royce, No Parque and hopefully no Ritchie.

obviously kw had nothing to do with this. this sounds like something a smart gm would do.

kermittheefrog
12-22-2002, 08:13 PM
I'm gonna miss Parque's quotes. I hope he signs on somewhere else.

jortafan
12-22-2002, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

The New York Daily News reported Sunday that the Yankees were considering Parque as a possible pitcher in their bullpen.

Unregistered
12-22-2002, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by jortafan
The New York Daily News reported Sunday that the Yankees were considering Parque as a possible pitcher in their bullpen. Ugh. Where he'll surely thrive and make the Sox look like idiots, no doubt. There's something about that friggin' team that makes even the most mediocre players somewhat decent. (see Knoblauch, Chuck; Martinez, Tino; Wells, David; etc. etc.)

Daver
12-22-2002, 10:02 PM
Ugh. Where he'll surely thrive and make the Sox look like idiots, no doubt.

I have my doubts about that.

Lip Man 1
12-25-2002, 02:07 AM
Keep in mind it generally takes two years to come back from serious arm surgery.

Also injury aside many people questioned the Sox even drafting Parque with a 2nd round pick out of UCLA because of his size (or lack of same)

Will this go down as another bonehead move by Jumbotron Ron?

Lip

Lip Man 1
12-25-2002, 02:12 AM
Unregistered says: There's something about that friggin' team that makes even the most mediocre players somewhat decent.

I think it's called having shrewd competent people in positions of authority. From general manager, to field manager to pitching coach to other coaches at the major league level.

You don't normally see the Yankees unable to bunt, steal bases, situationally hit, fail to catch the ball or execute fundamentals when they have to.

They can hit home runs but they also know not to try to steal 3rd base with less then two out and the tying run at the plate (unlike a certain Sox outfielder). It starts from the top down in that organization.

Lip

RedPinStripes
12-25-2002, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

:butter
"I dont want to eat peanut butter and ****ing jelly!" bwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaahhhhhh

Paulwny
12-25-2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Unregistered says: There's something about that friggin' team that makes even the most mediocre players somewhat decent.
Lip

This was brought up last year and someone posted that they have a very close yankee fan who had this theory. These players are now working for the biggest spender in the game, statistics are no longer the big issue, winning is. You do the little things to win, statistics only count for a bigger contract and their receiving more money then anyone else will pay, so just win.

I listened to an interview with Ventura just after he resigned with the yankees. He was asked if there's a difference in being a met or a yankee. His reply, not exact wording, being a yankee is strange, the look of awe in the people's faces when you're on the road, I guess it's the feeling rock stars have, it makes you try harder to win.
I'm starting to believe in this theory.

kermittheefrog
12-25-2002, 06:11 PM
Okay lets not get carried away, the Yankees don't magically make players better. Look at Rondell White, the guy was an All-Star caliber player UNTIL he arrived @ Yankee Stadium. And honestly, name me some chump change players that arrived in New York and became decent. I'd like to see some proof that the Yankees turn more guys you'd never expect to be useful into ball players. I mean, Singleton was in the Yankee organization and he wasn't anything until the Sox gave him an opportunity. The Yanks are good but they aren't magic.

Dadawg_77
12-26-2002, 03:09 PM
Keep in mind it generally takes two years to come back from serious arm surgery.

Also injury aside many people questioned the Sox even drafting Parque with a 2nd round pick out of UCLA because of his size (or lack of same)

Lip

The baseball draft is such a crap shoot it is hard to call any pick a bonehead move. Now some people are better pickers then others but everyone is usually right once in awhile. Drafting Parque does follow one good caveat for the Draft; do not pick HS but college pitchers.

jeremyb1
12-26-2002, 03:49 PM

no way. most picks, even high picks, don't end up making a legitimate contribution at the major league level. many don't even make it to the majors let alone get there as quickly as parque did. parque was at least a decent 4 or 5 before he was hurt and that's better than a lot of players picked higher in the draft that same year.

mike squires
12-26-2002, 08:06 PM
I'll never forget last year at Sox fest. I asked Jimmy if he was healthy and ready to come back. He looked me square in the eye and said, "yes, yes I am." I always liked his spunky attitude but he could never back it up.