PDA

View Full Version : Silver Lining

Lip Man 1
12-20-2002, 10:39 PM
At the risk of giving everyone at WSI a heart attack...I'm going to look at the bright side of things!!!

Get ready, here it comes, from Phil Rogers' interview:

ML: I know many Sox fans feel frankly, that Williams isn’t qualified for his job. Let’s say things remain the same next season, around 82 or 83 wins and on the edge of "contending." Would ownership consider making a change, would they be willing to admit they were wrong?

PR: "They’d have to make a change . Next year is a critical year for the team, ownership should demand improvement after three years.

So maybe if we take our lumps in the next nine months, ultimately Sox fans will win the battle.

Hey, what did you want? This is the WHITE SOX we're talking about!

Lip

Jerry_Manuel
12-20-2002, 10:46 PM
Why would they have to make a change? I don't quite get the logic in the statement. Reinsdorf doesn't care what anyone else thinks.

Unregistered
12-20-2002, 10:47 PM
The thing that really bothers me is that so many GMs, MUCH better than KW have been fired in half the time he's been here screwing things up. If this were New York, Boston, LA, etc., People would be calling for his head so much that KW would have been sent packing a while ago, IMO...

nut_stock
12-20-2002, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
The thing that really bothers me is that so many GMs, MUCH better than KW have been fired in half the time he's been here screwing things up. If this were New York, Boston, LA, etc., People would be calling for his head so much that KW would have been sent packing a while ago, IMO...

Probably, but you never know, the teams you described also have more budget flexibility.

chisox06
12-21-2002, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by nut_stock
Probably, but you never know, the teams you described also have more budget flexibility.

And they also have a much higher fan base, and a much bigger pay roll.

hold2dibber
12-21-2002, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
At the risk of giving everyone at WSI a heart attack...I'm going to look at the bright side of things!!!

Get ready, here it comes, from Phil Rogers' interview:

ML: I know many Sox fans feel frankly, that Williams isn’t qualified for his job. Let’s say things remain the same next season, around 82 or 83 wins and on the edge of "contending." Would ownership consider making a change, would they be willing to admit they were wrong?

PR: "They’d have to make a change . Next year is a critical year for the team, ownership should demand improvement after three years.

So maybe if we take our lumps in the next nine months, ultimately Sox fans will win the battle.

Hey, what did you want? This is the WHITE SOX we're talking about!

Lip

I think Rogers may be right. Since '00, there has been nothing but bad news out of this organization. At some point, just from a PR perspective, if they do not put a winner on the field, they've got to do something bold to get some positive press (see Belle, Albert and Wells, David). Nonetheless, I have to burst your bubble, Lip: if (when) JR fires KW, do we have any reason to believe he'll hire a top talent? Of course not . . . we'll be treated to another lackey from within the organization whose primary qualification is loyalty to JR.

ma-gaga
12-21-2002, 01:30 AM
Why is THIS year the "critical" year?

Hasn't this been going on for too long?!?

I'm really really upset at the W.Sox. I want competent management. This is unbelievable...

Dan H
12-22-2002, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
Why is THIS year the "critical" year?

Hasn't this been going on for too long?!?

I'm really really upset at the W.Sox. I want competent management. This is unbelievable...

This has gone on way too long. And you're right, 2003 is not a critical year. The critical year was 1994 when the Sox had a chance to go to the World Series and truly compete with Cubdom in Chicago. Instead, there was the strike, and things worsened year after year. It is now almost 10 years later, there has still been no World Series on the South Side, and most of the fans who still care visit this site. And some of those fans don't care anymore.

harwar
12-22-2002, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Dan H
The critical year was 1994 when the Sox had a chance to go to the World Series and truly compete with Cubdom in Chicago. Instead, there was the strike, and things worsened year after year.
It is now almost 10 years later, there has still been no World Series on the South Side, and most of the fans who still care visit this site. And some of those fans don't care anymore.

very well said..that was the year the music died and they flushed the WORLD SERIES(and our season)down the toilet.
I think that those of us who have been thru the wars and are scarred old veterans seem to have a feeling that baseball just isn't fun anymore like it used to be.