PDA

View Full Version : Baldwin

Bobby Thigpen
12-20-2002, 07:28 PM
I know I may get ripped for this, but what about bringing back JB? I don't think we should sign him to a multi year contract, but what about bringing him back with a minor league contract (or just inviting him to camp). What about an extremely cheap one year offer. Maybe his arm is finally healed. Or maybe he's one of those guys that just plays better on certain teams. I've gotta think there could only be upside to signing him to a minor league deal. Besides I can't remember him saying anything bad about the Sox after they got rid of him (maybe I just wasn't paying attention). That's got to count for something. Especially how everyone who's left has ripped the Sox. What do you guys think?

Daver
12-20-2002, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
I know I may get ripped for this, but what about bringing back JB? I don't think we should sign him to a multi year contract, but what about bringing him back with a minor league contract (or just inviting him to camp). What about an extremely cheap one year offer. Maybe his arm is finally healed. Or maybe he's one of those guys that just plays better on certain teams. I've gotta think there could only be upside to signing him to a minor league deal. Besides I can't remember him saying anything bad about the Sox after they got rid of him (maybe I just wasn't paying attention). That's got to count for something. Especially how everyone who's left has ripped the Sox. What do you guys think?

I think I am happy with a rotation of Buerhle,Garland,Biddle,Wright,and Rauch as opposed to ever seeing James Baldwin in a White Sox uniform again.

WinningUgly!
12-20-2002, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by daver
I think I am happy with a rotation of Buerhle,Garland,Biddle,Wright,and Rauch as opposed to ever seeing James Baldwin in a White Sox uniform again.

I don't want anything to do with Baldwin...or any other mediocre(I'm being kind to JB) journeyman type. It's bad enough that Ritchie is going to be taking starts away from young guys like Biddle & Rauch. If it's a pitcher that gives the Sox a better chance at winning right now...different story. James Balwin doesn't do that...no thanks.

pearso66
12-20-2002, 09:19 PM
ritchie is now a free agent, i believe they declined arbitration. if they did resign him, then i missed it. but my point, I'd much rather have JB in there than Ritchie. I was always a baldwin fan

Daver
12-20-2002, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
ritchie is now a free agent, i believe they declined arbitration. if they did resign him, then i missed it. but my point, I'd much rather have JB in there than Ritchie. I was always a baldwin fan They declined to offer him arbitration,which allows them to re-sign him at a much reduced rate,which they probably will,I would rather have Ritchie than Baldwin in any scenario.

WinningUgly!
12-20-2002, 09:53 PM
They declined to offer him arbitration,which allows them to re-sign him at a much reduced rate,which they probably will,I would rather have Ritchie than Baldwin in any scenario.

Ritchie (before last season at least) has an upside.
Baldwin topped out a long time ago.

Can I vote for none of the above? Me & JB never really got along. :D:

Bobby Thigpen
12-20-2002, 11:21 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't ever see Biddle as being anything other than mediocre either. I like Rocky, but I just don't see it happening. The other four maybe, but not Rock. I always liked JB, and thought that maybe we could get a bargain out of him. Remember Eldred was supposed to be washed up and done when we got him. He did a pretty good job for us. How old is JB? I thought he was in his early 30s. I just thought that maybe there may be something left in the tank. It couldn't cost too much to find out.

Daver
12-20-2002, 11:30 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't ever see Biddle as being anything other than mediocre either. I like Rocky, but I just don't see it happening. The other four maybe, but not Rock. I always liked JB, and thought that maybe we could get a bargain out of him. Remember Eldred was supposed to be washed up and done when we got him. He did a pretty good job for us. How old is JB? I thought he was in his early 30s. I just thought that maybe there may be something left in the tank. It couldn't cost too much to find out.

Biddle has the best fastball on the staff,and that includes Koch,if he can get healthy I would take him over any FA now available.

But then again what the hell do I know? ©

Bobby Thigpen
12-20-2002, 11:34 PM
I think we're just going to disagree on this. I just don't see it. Love Rock, don't really ever see him doing much. I'm thinking Sean Lowe role. Just my opinion.

Daver
12-20-2002, 11:51 PM
I think we're just going to disagree on this. I just don't see it. Love Rock, don't really ever see him doing much. I'm thinking Sean Lowe role. Just my opinion.

Ask Frank Thomas what he thinks of Biddle's "stuff".

T Dog
12-21-2002, 12:51 AM
Biddle has the best fastball on the staff,and that includes Koch,if he can get healthy I would take him over any FA now available.

Rocky's fastball was hitting the low to mid 90s -- with good movement -- last summer, even though he wasn't even allowed to pick up a baseball in January. He was getting his sharp breaking pitches over for strikes. I don't know if he'll throw any harder this year, but I expect he'll be able to go longer into games.

He also loves playing for the Sox.

kermittheefrog
12-21-2002, 02:11 AM

Ok so Baldwin pitched last year in the best pitchers park in the AL, with a good defense behind him and posted a 5.28 ERA. Out of the five guys who made 20 starts for us this year, that 5.28 ERA only beats out Todd Ritchie. I like our chances with the horses we've got.

pudge
12-21-2002, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by T Dog
Rocky's fastball was hitting the low to mid 90s -- with good movement -- last summer, even though he wasn't even allowed to pick up a baseball in January. He was getting his sharp breaking pitches over for strikes. I don't know if he'll throw any harder this year, but I expect he'll be able to go longer into games.

He also loves playing for the Sox.

I live in Seattle and at one point I heard Lou Pinella in an interview say he thought Rocky Biddle was the best current pitching prospect in the AL. I was floored. Ever since then, I've been hoping Biddle gets healthy and gets a chance to start. He must do something right to get that kind of praise.

lostinlife28
12-21-2002, 05:56 AM
Pudge...Old Pilnella also thought Jose Cruz Jr, would be the next Ken Griffey. Don't get me wrong I think that Rocky has heart. If he comes back 100%, that would be awesome.

Tragg
12-21-2002, 10:59 AM
I'm sorry, but I don't ever see Biddle as being anything other than mediocre either. I like Rocky, but I just don't see it happening.
From my observation, not statistical analysis, Biddle is a better starter than a reliever. He only had a few starts last year, and I think he did okay in most, if not all.

gosox41
12-21-2002, 11:48 AM
Ask Frank Thomas what he thinks of Biddle's "stuff".

I don't claim to know all that much, so what's the meaning behind this quote?

Bob

Daver
12-21-2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
I don't claim to know all that much, so what's the meaning behind this quote?

Bob

Frank commented a couple years ago that Rocky had the best stuff of any pitcher in the division.

FanOf14
12-21-2002, 12:10 PM
Biddle was rushed back from surgery last year and had to get most of his arm strength back while pitching in the show rather than at AAA. From what I can recall, Biddle looked pretty good all year after getting the quick call up (except for August):

Biddle's Numbers For The 2002 Season (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_individual_player_splits.jsp?playerID=335092&statType=2)

I honestly think that he could easily be in our starting rotation next season (considering all the other choices we have, of course).

RichH55
12-21-2002, 12:25 PM
Rocky is a fighter....no question.....a nice guy to have on a staff

baggio202
12-21-2002, 03:19 PM

But then again what the hell do I know? ©

i think its time we all realize rocky biddle is not the rocky biddle of 2 years ago...he has suffered injuries to his arm and to pencil him in the starting rotation and expect him to finish the season is being unrealistic...it would better for rock to fill a position in the bullpen..maybe if he stays healthy for a year he might be better suited to move in to the rotation in '04 and beyond...one more seriosu arm injury and you can pretty much count his career over..sox should tread lightly with him

Daver
12-21-2002, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
i think its time we all realize rocky biddle is not the rocky biddle of 2 years ago...he has suffered injuries to his arm and to pencil him in the starting rotation and expect him to finish the season is being unrealistic...it would better for rock to fill a position in the bullpen..maybe if he stays healthy for a year he might be better suited to move in to the rotation in '04 and beyond...one more seriosu arm injury and you can pretty much count his career over..sox should tread lightly with him

He was used sparingly last year to extend his rehab process with his arm,and Kenny Williams has already said if the Sox can't make a deal for a front line starter they will use Biddle in the rotation,so obviously the Sox training staff beleives him to be healthy.

baggio202
12-21-2002, 05:46 PM
He was used sparingly last year to extend his rehab process with his arm,and Kenny Williams has already said if the Sox can't make a deal for a front line starter they will use Biddle in the rotation,so obviously the Sox training staff beleives him to be healthy.

lets hope the sox training staff is right then

kermittheefrog
12-22-2002, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by baggio202
lets hope the sox training staff is right then

If there is a sinlge part of the Sox staff I believe in it's the training staff. I get the feeling they let JR and the gang know guys like Alvarez, McDowell, Fernandez and more recently Sirotka were just a few pitches from a breakdown. These guys know their stuff.

Foulke You
12-23-2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
Rocky is a fighter....no question.....a nice guy to have on a staff

I'll never forget that gutsy outing in 2001 at Comiskey vs the Cubs. It was the game where he originally hurt his shoulder to the point where he needed surgery. He was already pitching on anti inflammatories for pain, and my friend and I were watching the radar gun clocking him at 95-96mph and he had a no hitter through 5 innings before they had to pull him because of the injury. There isn't a doubt in my mind with the way he was throwing that day, he had a great chance for the no hitter.

If healthy, I believe Rocky can be a good starter. His fastball has a lot of movement on it but he needs to sharpen his control which will come with starting more. One thing I do know though, if he has a bad ST he is going to find himself in the bullpen.

MetalliSox
12-23-2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I'll never forget that gutsy outing in 2001 at Comiskey vs the Cubs. It was the game where he originally hurt his shoulder to the point where he needed surgery. He was already pitching on anti inflammatories for pain, and my friend and I were watching the radar gun clocking him at 95-96mph and he had a no hitter through 5 innings before they had to pull him because of the injury. There isn't a doubt in my mind with the way he was throwing that day, he had a great chance for the no hitter.

Yowzas, Rocky had a mean breaking ball that game. Nobody knew where it was going but he had it working. Looked like a whiffle ball in a slight breeze.