PDA

View Full Version : Ritchie becomes FA

pudge
12-20-2002, 07:17 PM
Was he arbitration eligible? Or was it an option year declined?

Daver
12-20-2002, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Was he arbitration eligible? Or was it an option year declined?

He was arbitration eligible,the Sox declined to offer it to him.

They also declined to offer Jim Parque arbitration.

Paulwny
12-20-2002, 07:32 PM
Can you imagine the laughing in Pitt. if Ritchie signs with them?

Daver
12-20-2002, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Can you imagine the laughing in Pitt. if Ritchie signs with them?

I would imagine that Ritchie will be re-signed by the Sox at a drastically reduced rate,by declining arbitration the Sox also are free of the arbitration limit of a 20% pay cut.

Paulwny
12-20-2002, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by daver
I would imagine that Ritchie will be re-signed by the Sox at a drastically reduced rate,by declining arbitration the Sox also are free of the arbitration limit of a 20% pay cut.

I agree but, the way things have been going................

Jerry_Manuel
12-20-2002, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
I agree but, the way things have been going................

We'd trade for him at the deadline when they'll be raising the flag again. :smile:

I'd like to see Ritchie back.

nut_stock
12-20-2002, 11:13 PM
I thought that if the Sox didn't offer arbitration to him, they couldn't sign him until May 20th.

Daver
12-20-2002, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by nut_stock
I thought that if the Sox didn't offer arbitration to him, they couldn't sign him until May 20th.

That would apply if he was eligible for FA,he is not in this case.

OEO Magglio
12-20-2002, 11:36 PM
Am I mistaking or is the deadline to sign fa's today?

And also if this is true does that mean the people who don't get signed today, can't be signed until May 20?

Lip Man 1
12-20-2002, 11:57 PM
Paul Sullivan just had a story on the Sox pitching situation hit the Tribune web site.

In it he starts the "most likely" Ritchie will NOT be back and quotes Williams as saying he thought he was going to get a deal done with him in the past few days but just couldn't finish it. (big surprise?)

Sully also says this:

The Sox, who unsuccessfully tried to sign left-hander Jaime Moyer and made an offer for San Francisco right-hander Russ Ortiz before he was traded to Atlanta, still have their eye on two veteran free agents--left-hander Omar Daal (11-9, 3.90 ERA in Los Angeles) and right-hander Ismael Valdes (8-12, 4.18 ERA in Texas and Seattle). Both are seeking multi-year deals, however, and the Sox don't want to go more than one year.

Just FYI

Lip

hold2dibber
12-21-2002, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Paul Sullivan just had a story on the Sox pitching situation hit the Tribune web site.

In it he starts the "most likely" Ritchie will NOT be back and quotes Williams as saying he thought he was going to get a deal done with him in the past few days but just couldn't finish it. (big surprise?)

Sully also says this:

The Sox, who unsuccessfully tried to sign left-hander Jaime Moyer and made an offer for San Francisco right-hander Russ Ortiz before he was traded to Atlanta, still have their eye on two veteran free agents--left-hander Omar Daal (11-9, 3.90 ERA in Los Angeles) and right-hander Ismael Valdes (8-12, 4.18 ERA in Texas and Seattle). Both are seeking multi-year deals, however, and the Sox don't want to go more than one year.

Just FYI

Lip

This is scary; I've been thinking that I'd like to see the Sox re-sign Ritchie unless they can sign either Valdes or Daal. I don't think it is a good idea to go into next season with Buehrle, Garland, Wright, Biddle and Rauch as your only choices for the rotation (which, realistically, is what we are currently faced with). They need one more arm. Valdes and Daal are both preferable, IMHO, to Ritchie.

Lip Man 1
12-21-2002, 01:10 AM
Just FYI to keep in mind...both Biddle and Rauch have had arm surgery of a serious nature in the past two years.

I don't have confidence in them to consistently hold up the back end of the rotation.

Me thinks by June the Sox are going to be in another situation like last year where the media was asking Manager Gandhi, why is Ritchie still in the rotation? He's getting hammered... and Gandhi's reply was "we'll we don't have any other options..."

Remember that little gem?

Lip

pudge
12-21-2002, 03:07 AM
John Halama was jerked around a lot in Seattle... if someone trusted him with a starting spot, he might shine. When he's on, he is tough. He had a perfect game in AAA. But he would be a risk. How about good ol' Tanyon Sturtze back??

kermittheefrog
12-21-2002, 03:25 AM
Here are my picks for who the Sox should bring in.

!!!!) Clemens

Outside of pipe dreams.
1) Ismael Valdes (who we SHOULD have brought in last year instead of Ritchie)
2) Paul Wilson
3) Steve Woodard

I know Wilson and Woodard aren't as high profile as Daal but it's hard to argue that Daal is significantly better. They'd likely be cheaper and are both younger. Realistically we could sign both of those guys for the cost of Daal and see which one pans out. It's the kind of thing an organization that finds creative ways to spend their money would do.

MarkEdward
12-21-2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Here are my picks for who the Sox should bring in.

!!!!) Clemens

Outside of pipe dreams.
1) Ismael Valdes (who we SHOULD have brought in last year instead of Ritchie)
2) Paul Wilson
3) Steve Woodard

I don't know about Woodard. What can he do that Biddle or Rauch can't? I can't get his minor league numbers now, but he's pitched about 650 innings in the majors and hasn't done anything great. He had a chance to shine in 2000, and failed miserably. I'd maybe give him an NRI.