12-20-2002, 02:35 PM
My nightmare just continues.

hold2dibber
12-20-2002, 02:37 PM
:chunks

Jjav829
12-20-2002, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
My nightmare just continues. Alright yes!!! This makes up for not getting Millwood!

Pathetic.

jeremyb1
12-20-2002, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
My nightmare just continues.

wow. as far as baseball goes this day just keeps getting worse. how terrible. i almost thing bringing alomar back is worse than missing out on millwood.

hold2dibber
12-20-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
wow. as far as baseball goes this day just keeps getting worse. how terrible. i almost thing bringing alomar back is worse than missing out on millwood.

Hey, it's not even 3:00 p.m. yet, the day is still young! Expect the Sox to deal Maggs for Mondesi and then sign Rick Helling to a long term deal as our no. 2 guy before the close of business.

Viva Magglio
12-20-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Hey, it's not even 3:00 p.m. yet, the day is still young! Expect the Sox to deal Maggs for Mondesi and then sign Rick Helling to a long term deal as our no. 2 guy before the close of business.

And then we'll trade Paulie...to Milwaukee...for you know who...

yyz
12-20-2002, 03:10 PM
What is the problem with bringing Alomar back? I don't know how much we're paying him, but he hit well, is a team player, can mentor the young guys, and will accept limited PT without whining if things work out with Olivo.

NewyorkSoxFan
12-20-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by yyz
What is the problem with bringing Alomar back? I don't know how much we're paying him, but he hit well, is a team player, can mentor the young guys, and will accept limited PT without whining if things work out with Olivo.

STUNNED SILENCE!!! IT'S DEAFENING

hold2dibber
12-20-2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by yyz

He doesn't hit very well, doesn't handle the pitching staff particularly well, isn't durable, and isn't very good defensively. I don't think they could have picked up anyone who hits very well (other than that Pudge Rodriquez kid), but I think they could have done better in terms of someone who can handle a pitching staff better and who is better defensively. Someone who hits lefty, preferably.

NewyorkSoxFan
12-20-2002, 03:23 PM
He doesn't hit very well, doesn't handle the pitching staff particularly well, isn't durable, and isn't very good defensively. I don't think they could have picked up anyone who hits very well (other than that Pudge Rodriquez kid), but I think they could have done better in terms of someone who can handle a pitching staff better and who is better defensively. Someone who hits lefty, preferably.

I would settle for someone who just can stay healthy, the guy is hurt all the time. His knees are shot, if we needed a coach make him a coach, but enough with all the retreads.

NYSF

MarkEdward
12-20-2002, 03:25 PM
What does Sandy Alomar have that Tom Lampkin doesn't?

That said, I'd actually rather see Josh Paul over Alomar. At least Versatility is from Illinois.

Tragg
12-20-2002, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by yyz

Because Mark Johnson, compared to Alomar, is babe ruth with the bat (this man Alomar walks about 5 times a year; but kenny manuel doesn't give a hoot about walks). Plus Alomar has no knees left.

Hullett_Fan
12-20-2002, 03:34 PM
Plus Alomar has no knees left.

Is Marc Hill available? Brian Downing??...he can play OF too.

God this team is pathetic. Guess we can say wait till next year 4 months before the season begins. :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

Lip Man 1
12-20-2002, 03:35 PM
I find it very ironic and a sad commentary about the detiorated state of the Sox organization that literally, at almost the same time the Sox are saying they have brought back an injury proned Sandy Alomar...the Phils pick up an 18 game winner for a spare part back up catcher.

Who'se next to show the stupidity of the Sox? Tampa Bay??

You mean it wasn't worth two back up spare parts to the Sox to get Millwood even for just a single saeson?

The only possible reason I can think of for the Sox apparent dis interest is because Millwood is represented by Scott Boras (and of course Uncle Jerry hates him because Boras shows how dysfunctional the organization is and how lightly he regards them.)

Can it get any worse?

Lip

hold2dibber
12-20-2002, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Can it get any worse?

Lip, I think you know the answer to that question.

Hullett_Fan
12-20-2002, 04:03 PM
Lip, I think you know the answer to that question

LMAO.

IMO, 2003 will be a season to decide...

1) which of these young pitchers is for real. Will Garland continue to improve? Will Wright develop into a good #4 or #5 starter? Give Rauch and Saunders some work at the ML level, etc.

2) Wait out Frank and Valentin's contracts..after this year they are gone

Next offseason with more cash and a better class of free agents, JR and KW will HOPEFULLY get the last few pieces we need to make a run.

:reinsy

You are exactly right Hullett_Fan....NOT!!! HA HA HA HA....

Daver
12-20-2002, 05:49 PM

Sandy is very good with a pitching staff,defensively he no longer has anything left,but he does handle the game calling part of the game(total game calling,not just pitch calling) rather well.

pudge
12-20-2002, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
Because Mark Johnson, compared to Alomar, is babe ruth with the bat (this man Alomar walks about 5 times a year; but kenny manuel doesn't give a hoot about walks). Plus Alomar has no knees left.

I think this is a good point... I just didn't like the way Alomar handled his at bats last season, especially in clutch situations... my fear is JM will send him up there again as a PH in late-game situations when we need to drive in a run, and he'll swing at an early, bad pitch and pop it up - like he did numerous times last season. Ugh, the nightmare.

yyz
12-20-2002, 06:43 PM

On the batting issue, you're just wrong. Alomar doesn't walk much, but still had a higher on-base percentage than both Mark Johnson and Josh Paul, and his OPS was 794 vs 590 for MJ and 581 for Paul.

On the durability issue, the whole point is that he is going to be a fill-in for and mentor to Olivo and Paul, not a workhorse.

This is a good move if we are not paying him too much. This trade is not related to the Millwood deal, and while I don't think KW is a good GM, you can't complain that this particular good move was not as good as a great move that another team made.

Bobby Thigpen
12-20-2002, 07:08 PM
I actually think bringing back Alomar disgusts me more than not getting Millwood. Alomar is absolutely TERRIBLE. God I can't stand him. Oh well, I guess I shouldn't worry too much. He'll be out for at least 2-3 months with some kind of injury about 15 minutes after pitchers and catchers report. And, no, I didn't mean for that last part to be in teal.

Lip Man 1
12-20-2002, 09:05 PM
Duke says: The nightmare continues

Duke if the Cubs win ANYTHING this year, that nightmare's going to get a helluva lot worse!

Lip

RichH55
12-20-2002, 09:12 PM

MJ isnt Babe Ruth compared to Little Leaguers...so cease the hyperbole (And yes I'm aware of the irony of using hyperbole to denounce hyperbole)

RichH55
12-20-2002, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by daver
Sandy is very good with a pitching staff,defensively he no longer has anything left,but he does handle the game calling part of the game(total game calling,not just pitch calling) rather well.

Which is what you are looking for in a backup catcher

RichH55
12-20-2002, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by yyz
On the batting issue, you're just wrong. Alomar doesn't walk much, but still had a higher on-base percentage than both Mark Johnson and Josh Paul, and his OPS was 794 vs 590 for MJ and 581 for Paul.

On the durability issue, the whole point is that he is going to be a fill-in for and mentor to Olivo and Paul, not a workhorse.

This is a good move if we are not paying him too much. This trade is not related to the Millwood deal, and while I don't think KW is a good GM, you can't complain that this particular good move was not as good as a great move that another team made.

Very Well Said

RichH55
12-20-2002, 09:15 PM
We needed a backup catcher, we got one for cheap. He isnt what he used to be, but he can still bring things to the table, and we needed a Catcher. Geez

Bobby Thigpen
12-20-2002, 11:13 PM
Rich, I'm sorry, but Alomar brings nothing to the table. He'll be hurt at least 75% of the time, he can't hit anymore, and I don't buy into the whole he's great with a staff routine. That has never supposedly been part of what he was about in Cleveland, and I don't think it is now just because he's old and that's all we can hope for from him. I know I'll get roasted for this, but I would have rather had the Sox stand pat at catcher. No matter how little we are paying him we won't get our money's worth. Our catchers were bad, but Alomar's worse.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-20-2002, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
...The only possible reason I can think of for the Sox apparent dis interest is because Millwood is represented by Scott Boras (and of course Uncle Jerry hates him because Boras shows how dysfunctional the organization is and how lightly he regards them.)

There you have it. I think tonight we can finally say, with great certainty, the Sox are worse-off today than the day Bill Veeck sold the team to Reinsdorf.

Who can forget (who is old enough to have been alive) back in 1979 when free agent Dave Winfield REFUSED to entertain an offer from the Sox? In response, Veeck called Winfield a "rum drum" and feigned indifference. Later, he admitted it was the final proof the game had passed him by.

So now a ballplayer, definitely affordable, is passed up by the Sox simply because Reinsdorf doesn't like this agent. Clearly Millwood would be a welcome addition to the team, but the team must do without for reasons that have nothing to do with trying too hard to win.

Reinsdorf sucks. This is the 1970's all over again.

Bobby Thigpen
12-20-2002, 11:36 PM
Good call.

kermittheefrog
12-21-2002, 02:04 AM
Hearing Sandy Alomar is back is a lot like getting kicked in the balls.

Tragg
12-21-2002, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by yyz
Okay, I exaggerated - you alomar fans take great offense., Sorry.
Alomar had 40% of his bats last year in Coors Field. He had an obp of .005 higher than Mark Johnson,. Alomar's slugging in Coors Field was a whopping .302. Not only has he been a bad hitter his entire career, he tailed of dramatically even for him at the end of last year. Alomar hasn't hit more than 7 home runs since 1997 and hasn't had 20 walks since 1994.
No defense and inability to handle the bat is not what any team should look for in a back up catcher.

Tragg
12-21-2002, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by yyz

I judge this move on its own merits: signing a bad hitting catcher who can no longer play defense is a bad move, no matter how much we are paying him.

I haven't said a thing about not signing milwood. Williams gaffes haven't been about who he missed, as about who he's brought to the Sox: Clayton, Alomar, Ritchie, Alomar.

As an academic side, why in the world did Colorado trade for this guy last year?

HawkDJ
12-21-2002, 11:30 AM
First of the signing is only for $700,000 if it hasn't been mentioned already.

This quote by Alomar explains why this isn't a terrible thing like everyone is saying:
"To be a backup catcher, it's not something to be upset about. Sometimes in your career you have to change strategies. I'm not disappointed at all. I understand the situation and I know Olivo is a promising young catcher, and I'm going to help him out.''

gosox41
12-21-2002, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
First of the signing is only for $700,000 if it hasn't been mentioned already.

This quote by Alomar explains why this isn't a terrible thing like everyone is saying:

This move is more then terrible. Ever wonder how much money the Sox spend on washed up veterans whenever they think they're close? The amount of money wasted the last 2 seasons is enough to afford Millwood and get another starter.

Over the last 2 years, the Sox have blown $9 mill. total on Royce Clayton, $5.8 mill. on Alomar JR (not including this current signing) and $1 mill. on Kenny Lofton.

That's almost $16 mill. blown to fill "holes" that young players could have been as good or better at and cheaper. All those stupid signings have left the Sox with no money to go after a difference making pitcher and has even further forced the Sox to purge payroll and trade Howry (just as he was getting his fastball back) and Durham for virtually nothing. And of course the Sox had to cut payroll and traded a great reliever like Foulke for a statistically worse pitcher.

Also notice I haven't even mentioned the cost of bringing in a veteran pitcher who 4 years ago wasn't even good enough for Minnesota but he was good enough for the Sox to give up young, cheap arms and waste even more money.

Bob

:whoflungpoo

RichH55
12-21-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
This move is more then terrible. Ever wonder how much money the Sox spend on washed up veterans whenever they think they're close? The amount of money wasted the last 2 seasons is enough to afford Millwood and get another starter.

Over the last 2 years, the Sox have blown $9 mill. total on Royce Clayton, $5.8 mill. on Alomar JR (not including this current signing) and $1 mill. on Kenny Lofton.

That's almost $16 mill. blown to fill "holes" that young players could have been as good or better at and cheaper. All those stupid signings have left the Sox with no money to go after a difference making pitcher and has even further forced the Sox to purge payroll and trade Howry (just as he was getting his fastball back) and Durham for virtually nothing. And of course the Sox had to cut payroll and traded a great reliever like Foulke for a statistically worse pitcher.

Also notice I haven't even mentioned the cost of bringing in a veteran pitcher who 4 years ago wasn't even good enough for Minnesota but he was good enough for the Sox to give up young, cheap arms and waste even more money.

Bob

Blowing 4.5 million to hurt your team at a starting position where you already had someone is foolish. 700 K for a viable backup(its catcher btw, look around the league, there is nothing), who you do not expect to be a difference maker, but you need the depth and figure he will help a promising player come along, is no where near the same

To equate this recent signing of Alomar with the trade for Royce is foolish

RichH55
12-21-2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by gosox41

That's almost $16 mill. blown to fill "holes" that young players could have been as good or better at and cheaper. All those

How much is Paul making? And what is the new league minimum? First off, I'm saying that Alomar doesn't cost much more than the league minimum (400 K tops?) and even less when you consider we don't have any Triple A options(I didn't really want to see Paul as the answer) and so we needed to go out and get a veteren who probably won't play for that much less than Alomar

HawkDJ
12-21-2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
How much is Paul making? And what is the new league minimum? First off, I'm saying that Alomar doesn't cost much more than the league minimum (400 K tops?) and even less when you consider we don't have any Triple A options(I didn't really want to see Paul as the answer) and so we needed to go out and get a veteren who probably won't play for that much less than Alomar

The minimum is $300,000 actually. But I'm glad someone is talking some sence here. There is no reason to get upset over this.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-21-2002, 01:18 PM
The minimum is $300,000 actually. But I'm glad someone is talking some sence here. There is no reason to get upset over this.

TALKING SENSE? *****!!

Hey, you want a real bargain? I can name about 200 guys in the minor leagues the Sox could pay the minimum to. Hell, if the league would allow them to, I would be willing to play catcher for a fraction of that, too.

If talent doesn't enter the equation of which ball team you support, there is a wonderful operation on the other side of town more than willing to take your money.

That $700,000 the Sox paid to pull Alomar out of retirement is at least $650,000 more than he would earn anyplace else on God's green Earth.

Who says there isn't a Santa Claus!

:KW
"Ho ho ho!"

HawkDJ
12-21-2002, 01:35 PM
I'm not talking talent here. I know that Alomar is not a great catcher but what some people seem to forget is that we were going to start the season throwing Olivo into the starting lineup with the great Josh Paul "mentoring" him. We needed a veteran badly to help Olivo along. I think we know well enough that throwing prospects into the SL has ruined many of them. Alomar is a veteran, maybe he isn't talented any more but he can help Olivo. That is why we signed him and Alomar even said so himself...not because we needed a good catcher.

PHG...no reason to make any cheap shots here! :(:

joecrede
12-21-2002, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

That $700,000 the Sox paid to pull Alomar out of retirement is at least $650,000 more than he would earn anyplace else on God's green Earth.

Who says there isn't a Santa Claus!

I have no problem when KW says he can't spend $1 when he only has 50 cents, but then he makes a signing like this. Why, when there are as good or better options who'd come cheaper, would you do this? Scariest thing is I read Manuel say they might carry 3 catchers

PaleHoseGeorge
12-21-2002, 01:43 PM
I'm not talking talent here. I know that Alomar is not a great catcher but what some people seem to forget is that we were going to start the season throwing Olivo into the starting lineup with the great Josh Paul "mentoring" him. We needed a veteran badly to help Olivo along. I think we know well enoug that throwing prospects in to the SL has ruined many of them. Alomar is a veteran, maybe he isn't talented talented any more but he can help Olivo. That is why we signed him and Alomar even said so himself...not because we needed a good catcher.

PHG...no reason to make any cheap shots here! :(:

How many catchers are we going to carry? I'll believe Alomar is capable of "mentoring" someone when ANY star-quality teammate of his from the last 13 years steps forward and says Sandy was the difference. David Wells got that compliment from Mark Buehrle. Alomar's "mentoring" cupboard is bare.

No team can afford to carry **** ballplayers. Alomar was once good, but those days are long gone. IMO, it was a mistake to acquire him back in 2000. Our continued slide in the W-L column would indicate I'm right.

Alomar is a below-average ballplayer good for nothing but making his team mediocre--or worse. NOBODY was going to pick him up, except Williams. Doesn't that have alarm bells ringing inside your head?

This guy should be retired. There is no "bargain" in paying him one thin dime.

Tragg
12-21-2002, 01:56 PM
First, the 700Ks add up - he IS paid more than minimum; second, he is not an adequate back up catcher - back up catchers start 30-40 games a year and appear in many more than that.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-21-2002, 02:06 PM
First, the 700Ks add up - he IS paid more than minimum; second, he is not an adequate back up catcher - back up catchers start 30-40 games a year and appear in many more than that.

Exactly. If we want Alomar for his alleged mentoring skills, doesn't it make 1000-times more sense to sign him as a coach? Not only could the Sox pay him a fraction of the $700K, he would actually spend time mentoring rather than under local anesthesia for yet another cartilage cleaning on his knees.

This acquisition is beyond stupid in so many ways. I can't frickin' believe it.

Paulwny
12-21-2002, 03:56 PM
For $50,000 more they probably could have had Girardi who was a mentor in NY with Posada. Physically and defensively he's much better then Alomar.

HawkDJ
12-21-2002, 04:02 PM

No team can afford to carry **** ballplayers. Alomar was once good, but those days are long gone. IMO, it was a mistake to acquire him back in 2000. Our continued slide in the W-L column would indicate I'm right.

I wouldn't blame the past 2 seasons on Alomar, that is just ridiculous.

Exactly. If we want Alomar for his alleged mentoring skills, doesn't it make 1000-times more sense to sign him as a coach? Not only could the Sox pay him a fraction of the $700K, he would actually spend time mentoring rather than under local anesthesia for yet another cartilage cleaning on his knees.

This acquisition is beyond stupid in so many ways. I can't frickin' believe it.

I'd rather not ruin Olivo as a prospect. The situation before Alomar was set up for disaster. Now Olivo can develop more instead of being thrown right in. There may have been a better option for a veteran catcher, Girardi is a good example, but this organization gives people who used to play for us another chance. I'd rather have Alomar more than nothing is all I'm saying.

I agree Alomar isn't very talented defensively and gets injured often but he didn't do too shabby last year offensively. He hit .279 combined with his stats from COL (where he actually did worse. Although he only played about half a season .279 happens to be higher than Posada, Santiago, Varitek, Berrett, Flaherty, Damian Miller, Ausmus and Molina last year.

Please don't reply and try to be embarrass me by saying Alomar isn't talented because I agreed with you on that. Thanks

Tragg
12-21-2002, 04:25 PM
I wouldn't blame the past 2 seasons on Alomar, that is just ridiculous.

I agree Alomar isn't very talented defensively and gets injured often but he didn't do too shabby last year offensively. He hit .279 combined with his stats from COL (where he actually did worse. Although he only played about half a season .279 happens to be higher than Posada, Santiago, Varitek, Berrett, Flaherty, Damian Miller, Ausmus and Molina last year.

[/B]

Now compare his on base percentage. As for doing worse in Colorado, yet another reason to be wary - the last 1/3 of his season was horrible.

Daver
12-21-2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
For $50,000 more they probably could have had Girardi who was a mentor in NY with Posada. Physically and defensively he's much better then Alomar.

I wouldn't say much better,actually close to the same.

Signing Alomar was a stupid move,there were better options out there,maybe not cheaper options,but better all around options.

kermittheefrog
12-21-2002, 04:54 PM

Please don't reply and try to be embarrass me by saying Alomar isn't talented because I agreed with you on that. Thanks

Is it okay if I try to embarass you by pointing out the fact that you're advocating a player who you seemingly admit sucks ass?

HawkDJ
12-21-2002, 05:04 PM
Ok..guys...I'm going to say this again. My opinion is that signing Alomar is better than signing nobody, which most people here seem to disagree with. Thats all I'm saying.

kermittheefrog
12-22-2002, 01:36 AM
Ok..guys...I'm going to say this again. My opinion is that signing Alomar is better than signing nobody, which most people here seem to disagree with. Thats all I'm saying.

Trading for Todd Ritchie last year sure was better than trading for nobody. Wouldn't you say so?

HawkDJ
12-22-2002, 10:57 AM
Um....no. I'm not quite sure where you are going with this. :?: Trading 2 young pitchers and a good reliever for a veteran pitcher is alittle bit different then signing a catcher for $700,000 to basically mentor Olivo and take pressure off of him.

CHISOXFAN13
12-22-2002, 11:07 AM
He's going to be the NO. 3 CATCHER PEOPLE. He won't be getting a ton of at-bats. He's back here because he was obviously a good clubhouse guy and solid teammate.

And get off the Millwood stuff. For all you "geniuses" know, Schuerholz didn't even call any other teams. There are more than 25 other teams in baseball.

MarkEdward
12-22-2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
He's going to be the NO. 3 CATCHER PEOPLE. He won't be getting a ton of at-bats. He's back here because he was obviously a good clubhouse guy and solid teammate.

There's no way both Josh Paul and Sandy Alomar will make the Sox. Jerry Manuel is not Tony LaRussa.

baggio202
12-22-2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
There's no way both Josh Paul and Sandy Alomar will make the Sox. Jerry Manuel is not Tony LaRussa.

so if we let josh paul go and he is picked up by somebody else , and by mid may sandy goes on the DL..our catchers are olivo and ???...]

someone else asked for a catcher that didnt hit well but could handle the staff and was preferably left handed....didnt we already have that in MJ???...this signing to me makes the koch trade that much more disturbing..look at the combo of moves....

would we be better off with foulke as the closer and MJ and MO as the catching tandem or koch as the closer with alomar more than likely going on the DL and having a catching tandem of olivo and nobody???

soxguy
12-22-2002, 09:08 PM
Signing sandy is a good thing, we do need a veteran back there,even tho olivo is the future. From the way scouts and coaches talk he will be the real deal. For now alomar is a adequete back up. If the sox dont sign a number one or two pitcher tho, who is catching wont make a bit of difference, we will still be a very average ballclub

Daver
12-22-2002, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by soxguy
Signing sandy is a good thing, we do need a veteran back there,even tho olivo is the future. From the way scouts and coaches talk he will be the real deal. For now alomar is a adequete back up. If the sox dont sign a number one or two pitcher tho, who is catching wont make a bit of difference, we will still be a very average ballclub

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

MarkEdward
12-22-2002, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
so if we let josh paul go and he is picked up by somebody else , and by mid may sandy goes on the DL..our catchers are olivo and ???...]

I didn't say that Paul will be out of the organization. I assume he'll start in Charlotte. We won't keep three catchers on the 25-man roster.

I'm still hoping Lampkin or Bennett are brought in to compete for the catcher's job.

someone else asked for a catcher that didnt hit well but could handle the staff and was preferably left handed....didnt we already have that in MJ???...this signing to me makes the koch trade that much more disturbing..look at the combo of moves....

would we be better off with foulke as the closer and MJ and MO as the catching tandem or koch as the closer with alomar more than likely going on the DL and having a catching tandem of olivo and nobody???

I don't know if this was addressed to me, but I was a big fan of Mark Johnson.