PDA

View Full Version : I would love to hear Prof. Chaos' excuse on this one

SoxxoS
12-20-2002, 02:30 PM
What could KW possibly say that can justify why he couldn't trade for Millwood? I am a KW supporter for the most part, but this is something that is inexcuseable. We were talking about giving up KONERKO for Millwood!!!! And the Phillies get him for Eric Estrata? :angry: :angry: :whiner:

duke of dorwood
12-20-2002, 02:39 PM
It would just be company line bull.

Paulwny
12-20-2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
And the Phillies get him for Eric Estrata? :angry: :angry: :whiner:

When did he give up his acting career?

SoxxoS
12-20-2002, 02:46 PM
Hey guys, rumor has it the Sox are going to sign Rodney Boulton and Scotty Ruffcorn to minor league deals to "offset" the signing of Millwood.

Also, Roger Clemens and Ivan Rodriguez are close to a deal

RKMeibalane
12-20-2002, 05:52 PM
One would think Williams would have figured some things out by now. For example, I do not understand why he offers a player like Paul Konerko for Kevin Millwood, yet the Phillies trade a mediocre player for him. Does Williams not look at what other teams are offering? Does he have no understanding of what a particular player's value is? What is the matter with him?

If Williams does not begin to correct all of the mistakes he's made since taking over as GM, then he needs to be fired. If I were in Reinsdorf's shoes, I would give KW one more season to prove himself, and then I would fire him. Period. Reinsdorf wonders why fans stay away from the ballpark. Well, the reason for that is simple. Nobody wants to support a team that squanders its resources and refuses to do anything to improve its chances of being competitive. Losing isn't cute. If JR likes losing, I know of a place where he would fit in.

SoxxoS
12-20-2002, 06:08 PM
RK-
It's a double edged sword. You have KW, who is making the wrong moves with the payroll he is given. Then, you have JR, who won't give KW any payroll to play with. It is making every move go under a microscope.

I am having a tough time swollowing this trade as a Sox fan. Millwood would of fit the Sox like a glove. There has to be some reason why the Braves made this trade. HAS TO. Why would you trade an 18 game winner for a backup catcher? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Shawn Estes I would not have minded either, but I think we are going to end up with Omar Daal. Or Roger Clemens, of course.

yyz
12-20-2002, 07:59 PM
What KW would say is that we didn't want to pay the $10mm Millwood will get through arbitration. And I think that's a reasonable decision, since in 2000 and 2001 Millwood was actually not very good. You can complain all you want, but you've got to take into consideration the economics, or else you're always going to be miffed that we didn't sign Clemens, Maddux and Byrd in the offseason. And KW did not offer Konerko for Millwood, some people on this board proposed that. Basically, the Braves were way over payroll after Maddux agreed to go to arbitration, so they were looking to dump Millwood's contract.

idseer
12-20-2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
One would think Williams would have figured some things out by now. For example, I do not understand why he offers a player like Paul Konerko for Kevin Millwood, yet the Phillies trade a mediocre player for him. Does Williams not look at what other teams are offering? Does he have no understanding of what a particular player's value is? What is the matter with him?

If Williams does not begin to correct all of the mistakes he's made since taking over as GM, then he needs to be fired. If I were in Reinsdorf's shoes, I would give KW one more season to prove himself, and then I would fire him. Period. Reinsdorf wonders why fans stay away from the ballpark. Well, the reason for that is simple. Nobody wants to support a team that squanders its resources and refuses to do anything to improve its chances of being competitive. Losing isn't cute. If JR likes losing, I know of a place where he would fit in.

am i missing something?
are you saying we offered konerko for millwood and instead atlanta trades within their own division for a mediocre player?
that can't be true, can it? cause if it were that would make atlanta the dumbest team in the game. obviously something more than what we're saying here took place.

edit: ok i posted this before i read yyz's post. i THOUGHT that was pretty nuts.
but for sure some people are playing pretty loose with the facts here.