PDA

View Full Version : Millwood traded to Phillies

Vsahajpal
12-20-2002, 12:00 PM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/6043799

hold2dibber
12-20-2002, 12:23 PM
Holy crap; all they got for Millwood was a banjo hitting 28 year old catcher who spent most of '01 in AAA? I cannot for the life of me imagine that the Braves would not have rather traded Millwood outside of their own division for say, Jeff Liefer, Willie Harris and and prospect. Am I missing something here?

Huisj
12-20-2002, 12:33 PM
Not only that, but it's within their division. They gave up one of their best pitchers for a pathetic catcher to a rival team! what on earth were they thinking? millwood's worth a lot more than that. this trade could really come back to bite atlanta.

Viva Magglio
12-20-2002, 12:43 PM
Phila gave up what for Millwood??? Hey Kenny...WAKE UP!!!!!!

CHISOXFAN13
12-20-2002, 12:43 PM
Can't wait to hear the biggest John Schuerholz fan on the board praise this move. Does Atlanta realize how good of an off-season Philly is having?? What a terrible move.

Chisoxfn
12-20-2002, 01:02 PM
This really pisses me off. The sox sat on their asses and could of gotten one of the best younger pitchers in the game whose entering his prime. For pete sake he won 18 games last year with a low era.

Sure he was due for arbitration and will probably make 6 or 7 mill, but they gave up nothing. We could of got him for basically free.

Jerry, you freaking jagoff. Spend the damn money. The payroll is already 7 or 8 mill less then it was last year and you are going to have ALl star Game revenue coming in. What the h*ll don't you at least keep the payroll the same.

PISSED OFF SOX FAN

Paulwny
12-20-2002, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
This really pisses me off. The sox sat on their asses and could of gotten one of the best younger pitchers in the game whose entering his prime. For pete sake he won 18 games last year with a low era.

It's possible that the sox don't persue certain players because they been told that the sox are listed as a "no trade to team" in a player's contract.
We'll never really know since the sox wouldn't want this publicized.

Chisoxfn
12-20-2002, 01:26 PM
I'm assuming since he's arbitration eligible that he doesn't have a no trade clause in his contract.

Jjav829
12-20-2002, 01:31 PM
Absolutely ridiculous. This is what happens when you can an owner who refuses to pay for quality. Instead of Kevin Millwood, you get Todd Ritchie or Rocky Biddle.

duke of dorwood
12-20-2002, 01:33 PM
:KW

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

duke of dorwood
12-20-2002, 01:37 PM
:reinsy

Happy Holidays you suckers.....er fans

Iwritecode
12-20-2002, 01:40 PM
Hey guys, Colon is still available...

Paulwny
12-20-2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Hey guys, Colon is still available...

So is Clemens, maybe we're the mystery suitor offering him $12 mil.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/850034.asp?0cv=SB10

Jjav829
12-20-2002, 01:56 PM
I think I just found the reason that Millwood is not a White Sox now. His agent is none other than...

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/mlb/2000/1214/photo/a_boras_t.jpg

hold2dibber
12-20-2002, 02:12 PM
According to the Braves' GM, (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1220/1480130.html) he was on the phone with every other team trying to deal Millwood, but the Phillies were the only team willing to take the risk of a $10 million arbitration award.

In other words, despite their avowed desire for a legit no. 2 starter, despite the fact that the payroll right now is substantially lower than it was on opening day last year, despite the fact that the All-Star game this year will certainly mean an increase in revenues, despite the fact that the team right now is a .500 team but could easily be favorites in the division with an upgrade in the rotation, despite the fact that morale among fans is desparately low, and despite the fact that he could have been had for Josh Paul, the Sox were unwilling to make this deal. Absolutely disgusting. I am, once again, sickened by this organization's refusal to commit to putting out a winning team. If the JR ownership consortium cannot pony up to obtain a solid starter like Milwood despite all the factors above, THEN SELL THE FRIGGIN' TEAM TO SOMEONE WHO WILL!!!

jeremyb1
12-20-2002, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
According to the Braves' GM, (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1220/1480130.html) he was on the phone with every other team trying to deal Millwood, but the Phillies were the only team willing to take the risk of a $10 million arbitration award.

In other words, despite their avowed desire for a legit no. 2 starter, despite the fact that the payroll right now is substantially lower than it was on opening day last year, despite the fact that the All-Star game this year will certainly mean an increase in revenues, despite the fact that the team right now is a .500 team but could easily be favorites in the division with an upgrade in the rotation, despite the fact that morale among fans is desparately low, and despite the fact that he could have been had for Josh Paul, the Sox were unwilling to make this deal. Absolutely disgusting. I am, once again, sickened by this organization's refusal to commit to putting out a winning team. If the JR ownership consortium cannot pony up to obtain a solid starter like Milwood despite all the factors above, THEN SELL THE FRIGGIN' TEAM TO SOMEONE WHO WILL!!!

you hit the nail on the head schuerholz said "I tried. No one was willing to take the $10 million this season," Schuerholz told Ravech. "Only one team (wanted to), and it was the team he was ultimately traded to. As late as 15 minutes before the deal was finalized, I was on the phone and not one team was willing to move."

i've been giving kw the benefit of the doubt this offseason assuming that the reason he wasn't making any deals was that he'd learned his lesson and was doing a better job of protecting our young players. here, he clearly could've given up as little as liefer or harris and it was clearly the money that was the issue.

its hard to say whether the blame lies with kw or jr but either way i find this to be completely unacceptable. i can understand not wanting to lock millwood in long term at 10 million a year since magg's and pauly will see more money in the future but millwood doesn't have many years left so there was no reason not to do this deal. we would've even gotten a first round draft pick out of it if we'd let him walk. incredible. the thing that kills me is watch us turn around and deal garland, rauch, and borchard for colon who will make 9 million and won't have a better year than millwood. unbelievable.

edit: i checked to make sure and this is in fact this last year of millwood's deal. all we would've had to do is give up a mediocre player at best and pay the ten million and we would've came away with a first round pick after this season.

jeremyb1
12-20-2002, 02:41 PM
one potential excuse finally did strike me when i saw the jose cruz jr. thread. maybe we expect to get a better deal on a pitcher we expect to be non-tendered. seems unlikely to me but that's about the only explanation i can think of is that we somehow thought there's someone out there who we can get that'll be a better move. either that or as expected jr and/or kw is insane.

hold2dibber
12-20-2002, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
one potential excuse finally did strike me when i saw the jose cruz jr. thread. maybe we expect to get a better deal on a pitcher we expect to be non-tendered. seems unlikely to me but that's about the only explanation i can think of is that we somehow thought there's someone out there who we can get that'll be a better move. either that or as expected jr and/or kw is insane.

I thought of that too, but I thought of it in deeppink.

34 Inch Stick
12-20-2002, 04:25 PM
I am upset and depressed. We are not going to get any pitcher worth a damn. This would have been a very good fit with Buhrle, but no.

Something drastic has to happen to the Sox. They refuse to make this team any better. Every other need can be glossed over this offseason except the need for a starting pitcher. There have been many available in all colors, shapes, sizes and prices and we make no moves.

Any of you who go to Soxfest this year are a bunch of f'ing chumps. This team treats you with no respect and you are going to shell out money for a purely promotional vehicle.

F Kenny, F Jerry. I will not be moving up from a 7 game plan to a partial season ticket. In fact I will not be ordering a 7 game plan. I'll still be able to walk up to the gate for ANY game I want to and get reasonably good tickets.....because this management SUCKS. Bite me.

T Dog
12-20-2002, 04:41 PM
Everyone passed up on Millwood, except the Phillies. The Braves needed so desperately to get rid of him that they traded him to a freely spending division rival for a player that didn't figure in anyone's 2003 plans.

In theory, the Braves voluntarily weakened their pitching staff while improving the Phillies' starting rotation.

That should raise some questions, but KW's competency shouldn't be on the top of the list.

34 Inch Stick
12-20-2002, 04:55 PM
Everyone has passed up on Maddux as well for virtually the same price. Is he going to break down next year as well. Go ahead and defend Kenny, I'm in a pissed off mood anyway.

One thing that may turn out for the good on this matter is, this may lower the asking price for Colon or Vaszquez?

I have to stop myself. That was that stupid hope of mine creeping in again. When I can finally kill off that hope I will come to appreciate the Sox.

RichH55
12-20-2002, 09:10 PM
No Comments LIP? I remember telling you that you shouldnt give praise before it is earned...I think I win this round

Lip Man 1
12-20-2002, 09:16 PM
Chisox and Rich:

Wanna bet the Braves still win the division, win 90+ games and make the playoffs a 13th straight time?

Scherholz did what he was told by AOL, cut payroll under 100 million, but his moves have still practically guaranteed the Braves will be as strong or stronger next year.

What have the Sox done? You guys would take Schuerholz over Kenny in a heartbeat and you damn well know it.

The guy rebuilt the pitching staff, overcame the loss of Glavine, trimmed payroll, got the Rockies and Marlins to help pay the frieght and still has as good a team.

Pretty impressive wouldn't you say?

34 inch and Hold:

Why don't you send your comments to JR and KW via US Mail, it can't hurt and only cost a stamp.

Lip

RichH55
12-20-2002, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Chisox and Rich:

Wanna bet the Braves still win the division, win 90+ games and make the playoffs a 13th straight time?

Scherholz did what he was told by AOL, cut payroll under 100 million, but his moves have still practically guaranteed the Braves will be as strong or stronger next year.

What have the Sox done? You guys would take Schuerholz over Kenny in a heartbeat and you damn well know it.

The guy rebuilt the pitching staff, overcame the loss of Glavine, trimmed payroll, got the Rockies and Marlins to help pay the frieght and still has as good a team.

Pretty impressive wouldn't you say?

34 inch and Hold:

Why don't you send your comments to JR and KW via US Mail, it can't hurt and only cost a stamp.

Lip

Yadda Yadda Yadda....LIP, I was referring specifically to your posts over the past few days deifying(sic) Scherholz for "potential" moves liek dealing for Vina after Maddux comes back.....and you damn well know that.

Face it, he did not handle this situation well, and you were wrong to give him the advance praise for THINGS THAT NEVER HAPPENED...how about a mea culpa just once, instead of twisting the issue somehow. I swear if my dog died you would find a way to blame it on JR and KW

Lip Man 1
12-20-2002, 09:30 PM
Rich:

Go back and read the post. I said if it happens, it's pretty impressive.

(and you damn well know it! LOL)

Lip

hold2dibber
12-20-2002, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Yadda Yadda Yadda....LIP, I was referring specifically to your posts over the past few days deifying(sic) Scherholz for "potential" moves liek dealing for Vina after Maddux comes back.....and you damn well know that.

Face it, he did not handle this situation well, and you were wrong to give him the advance praise for THINGS THAT NEVER HAPPENED...how about a mea culpa just once, instead of twisting the issue somehow. I swear if my dog died you would find a way to blame it on JR and KW

I have to defend Lip here (not that he needs my help): the point is, Schuerholz made some bold moves that have shored up the Braves rotation. He was not perfect, but he went for it, and he came up with some damn good pitchers. The Sox, on the other hand, sat on their hands and watched a bevy of starting pitcher talent (Millwood, Ortiz, Glavine, Moyer, Maddux) switch teams with not a peep out of us, a team in desparate need of a no. 2. Sad.

kermittheefrog
12-21-2002, 02:01 AM
I hate to be a Kenny defender but I think this situation is too cooky to blame Kenny for not acquiring Millwood. Honestly I don't believe that Schuerholtz went to all 29 other teams and found that the best deal was to send his best starter to his division rival for nothing. I think Schuerholtz simply made the wrong move, who knows why. There was no reason he couldn't wait longer to trade Millwood. Even if he released Millwood there would be a strong chance Millwood would sign somewhere other than Philadelphia. I think Schuerholtz screwed this one up for the Braves. Kenny probably couldn't have done much about this. It's such a bizarre situation it's stupid to blame it on Kenny.

gosox41
12-21-2002, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
So is Clemens, maybe we're the mystery suitor offering him $12 mil.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/850034.asp?0cv=SB10

The good old 'mystery suitor' claim. I'm sure it's been used for years, but the biggest sucker to fall for this was the idiot owner of the Rangers who kept negotiating against himself for A-Rod.

Over the last couple of years I've heard more about these mystery suitors' who tend to be non-existent.

Also keep in mind that the Sox may have inquired about about Clemens, but I don't see them offering him $12 mill. when they could have had Millwood for less.

Bob

RichH55
12-21-2002, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Rich:

Go back and read the post. I said if it happens, it's pretty impressive.

(and you damn well know it! LOL)

Lip

Giving credit for an IF, is ridiculous IMHO. You were talking up your boy, Shuerholtz, he went down in flames....All I'm looking for is "In this case I was wrong...."

Wrong to believe the hype, wrong about what I percieved to be the situation, wrong to oversell the Braves GM...

And if you could avoid taking a shot at JR or KW at the end of the post, that would satisfy me

joecrede
12-21-2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by gosox41

Also keep in mind that the Sox may have inquired about about Clemens, but I don't see them offering him $12 mill. when they could have had Millwood for less.

Bob

Millwood would be at ~$10M, but he wouldn't put people in the seats the way Clemens theoretically would. Also, the "mystery" phrase fits the Sox M.O. because if they didn't sign him they wouldn't want fans to say "why don't you take the $12M you were willing to pay Clemens and pay x, y, and z?"

The other way it makes sense is that the Sox are supposedly one of the teams in on Colon and if the Yanks re-sign Clemens that squeezes the Expos.

If this "mystery offer" for Clemens does exist my guess is it is from the Sox or the Reds because they've been linked to Colon too. All this said, I read in Newsday today that Clemens and the Yankees are inching toward a deal.

Colon anyone?

gosox41
12-21-2002, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
Millwood would be at ~$10M, but he wouldn't put people in the seats the way Clemens theoretically would. Also, the "mystery" phrase fits the Sox M.O. because if they didn't sign him they wouldn't want fans to say "why don't you take the $12M you were willing to pay Clemens and pay x, y, and z?"

The other way it makes sense is that the Sox are supposedly one of the teams in on Colon and if the Yanks re-sign Clemens that squeezes the Expos.

If this "mystery offer" for Clemens does exist my guess is it is from the Sox or the Reds because they've been linked to Colon too. All this said, I read in Newsday today that Clemens and the Yankees are inching toward a deal.

Colon anyone?

I'd love to have Colon. The problem is KW is making the deal so I expect the Sox to get screwed.

Also, how much money do you think the Sox would make by signing Clemens? I highly doubt they'll sell out any of the games he pitches unless it falls on Opening Day, the Cubs Series, or is about to get his 300th win. I'd rather spend $2 mill. less and take my chances on Kevin Millwood having a better chance of making the Sox a playoff team then Clemens.

The only thing mysterious about the Sox is how they haven't managed to piss off every single fan and convince us all not to support such an idiotic team, me included. But I don't claim to be that bright to begin with.

Bob

Lip Man 1
12-23-2002, 11:47 AM
Congratulations Jeremy

I think you were the one who speculated that the reason the Sox wouldn't touch Millwood was because of his abritration cost.

Just FYI, I got an e-mail from a newspaper friend on Saturday. This person said that Kenny Williams was specifically asked about why the Sox didn't make an attempt to get Millwood.

Williams' answer (which was off the record) was that the Sox felt he was going to get ten million dollars this season via arbitration.

left unsaid was that that was far to rich for a "small market" team.

Lip