PDA

View Full Version : Santo to have left leg amputated

Viva Magglio
12-20-2002, 10:37 AM
Due to complicaitons from diabetes, Ron Santo is going to have his left leg ampurated. Last year at this time, Santo had his right leg amputated.

Please keep Ronnie and his family in your prayers. He may be a Cub, but this is one game we all want this Cub to win.

FanOf14
12-20-2002, 10:49 AM
I wish him the best, but when they start cutting, it's never good (as in it doesn't stop). My grandfather started out loosing a toe, and then it was the front part of the foot and then it was the entire foot, then it was half way up the leg and then they wanted the entire leg, but by then he was in a deep coma and my grandmother wouldn't allow anymore surgeries.

duke of dorwood
12-20-2002, 10:51 AM
He's a courageous guy. All the best to Ronnie.

white sox bill
12-20-2002, 11:17 AM
Let's not forget that Ron was a Sox in '74(I think). God bless him and his family, forget that Sox/Scrub crap

HITMEN OF 77
12-20-2002, 12:33 PM
All the best to Ron. Indeed he was a Chi Sox member in '74. I think he played in about 120 games. Had about 4 or 5 homeruns and 40 something RBI's and batted around .220.

CuckTheFubs
12-21-2002, 07:55 AM
This photo used to be on the so-called Worlds Greatest Newspaper's radio station webpage.

T Dog
12-21-2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
All the best to Ron. Indeed he was a Chi Sox member in '74. I think he played in about 120 games. Had about 4 or 5 homeruns and 40 something RBI's and batted around .220.

I knew someone who was on the 1973 White Sox Christmas card list, despite being an Old Style-drinking Cubs fan. His White Sox front office friend wrote Ron Santo's name on one of the bats peaking out of the sack slung over Santa Claus' shoulder. Santo ended up playing a lot of second base, with Bill Melton holding down the regular job at third. The team was as .500 as a team can get -- 80 wins, 80 losses and 3 ties.

On Chicago radio this summer, I heard that an automobile dealership was giving away Ron Santo bobble-head dolls as an apparent inducement to test drive their vehicles. The ad described Santo as a lifelong Cub.

Ol Aches & Pains
12-22-2002, 06:17 PM
I hope Santo is elected to the HOF this year while he's still around to enjoy it. He was the best 3rd baseman in the NL in the mid/late 60's, was a 9-time all star, won 5 gold gloves in a row. He deserves induction. He sure as hell doesn't deserve what he's going through now.