PDA

View Full Version : Millwood for PK?

RichH55
12-20-2002, 06:00 AM
Just idle thought

But it seems to make sense

Atlanta badly needs a 1B, we need a #2.

Liefer is a leftie which helps, and could put up alright numbers, though you would probably want to sign a David Ortiz as insurance(and yes Giambi would have looked good too)

Just a random thought

kermittheefrog
12-20-2002, 06:49 AM
Works for me, I'd want to slide Lee to first and Borchard into left. I'm not sure if it works for Atlanta. They seem to want to dumpsome salary now that they'll have Maddux for megabucks.

hose
12-20-2002, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Works for me, I'd want to slide Lee to first and Borchard into left. I'm not sure if it works for Atlanta. They seem to want to dumpsome salary now that they'll have Maddux for megabucks.

hey wait a minute, I got dibs on firstbase.

:liefer

hold2dibber
12-20-2002, 09:30 AM
I'd be a little nervous about dealing for Millwood in light of his injury problems in '01, but he is solid. But as someone else noted, I think the Braves are looking to shed payroll, not add it. I think they'd want Crede for Millwood.

NewyorkSoxFan
12-20-2002, 12:28 PM
That would be a bad deal, tell me how many pitchers who have left Atlanta and have been more than just average. PK is a serviceable first baseman, and hits for power and average. My God I can't imagine stone hand "Caballo" or Jeff "swing, swing, swing-now go sit down Liefer everyday. I would rather have Mike Squires back.

NYSF

kermittheefrog
12-20-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by NewyorkSoxFan
That would be a bad deal, tell me how many pitchers who have left Atlanta and have been more than just average. PK is a serviceable first baseman, and hits for power and average. My God I can't imagine stone hand "Caballo" or Jeff "swing, swing, swing-now go sit down Liefer everyday. I would rather have Mike Squires back.

NYSF

And what pitchers have left Atlanta exactly? Certainly not any of their money guys. Of course the guys that left Atlanta have been average, because they were average in Atlanta.

FanOf14
12-20-2002, 01:00 PM
What's this deal with sliding Lee into first? This guy can't handle an outfield position - so how is he going to handle an infield position even one that some believe requires little defensive abilities? If a good trade for PK comes up, ok, whatever, but make sure you have a competent first baseman first.

hold2dibber
12-20-2002, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I'd be a little nervous about dealing for Millwood in light of his injury problems in '01, but he is solid. But as someone else noted, I think the Braves are looking to shed payroll, not add it. I think they'd want Crede for Millwood.

Well, I guess I was wrong. As posted in a separate thread, they dealt Millwood for basically nothing.

NewyorkSoxFan
12-20-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
And what pitchers have left Atlanta exactly? Certainly not any of their money guys. Of course the guys that left Atlanta have been average, because they were average in Atlanta.

You make my point Kermit, if he was above average you think Sherholz wouldn't be dealing him. If they wanted to keep him they would have bitten the bullet and either signed him or went to arbitration. He is a nice pitcher, but I don't think he is as good as advertised.

Besides the trick is to trade at his highest value, and I don't think it could get much higher than it is for Millwood right now.

hold2dibber
12-20-2002, 04:22 PM
Besides the trick is to trade at his highest value, and I don't think it could get much higher than it is for Millwood right now.

Well, they got a dime-a-dozen back-up catcher for him. Not like we would have had to send Borchard or Buehrle to Atlanta to get him.

NewyorkSoxFan
12-20-2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Well, they got a dime-a-dozen back-up catcher for him. Not like we would have had to send Borchard or Buehrle to Atlanta to get him.

That speaks to what the braves must think of him, if he was as good as advertised he wouldn't have gone for a dime a dozen catcher.

hold2dibber
12-20-2002, 04:34 PM
That speaks to what the braves must think of him, if he was as good as advertised he wouldn't have gone for a dime a dozen catcher.

I disagree. I think they wanted to keep him, but couldn't because of what he was going to get in arbitration. If Maddux hadn't accepted arbitration and been in line to come back at a salary in excess of $12 million, do you think the Braves would have dealt Millwood for a dime-a-dozen back-up catcher? Of course not. They would have happily kept him, even at that arbitration-inflated price, if Maddux hadn't accepted arbitration. No one else on their staff (Byrd, Ortiz, Marquis or Hampton) was going to earn anywhere near $10 million in '03, so Millwood had to go.

(As an aside, I don't think he would necessarily have been in line for $10 million in arbitration. In any event, the Sox obviously could have made the trade and then tried to negotiate a 2 or 3 year deal with him at, for instance, $6 million per year, and dropped Ritchie and the $2.5 million they'll be paying him this year to defray that cost).

RichH55
12-20-2002, 10:07 PM
That speaks to what the braves must think of him, if he was as good as advertised he wouldn't have gone for a dime a dozen catcher. \

Why does the Braves making a bad deal make a bad pitcher out of him? When did Schuerholtz(sic) become GM of the century?