PDA

View Full Version : New Minor League Association?

gogosoxgogo
12-20-2002, 12:52 AM
I was on milb.com and noticed that a team called the Great Falls White Sox (Rookie level) was being associated with the other minor league clubs of the Sox. Is this team new or have they been there all along and I haven't noticed?

Jjav829
12-20-2002, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
I was on milb.com and noticed that a team called the Great Falls White Sox (Rookie level) was being associated with the other minor league clubs of the Sox. Is this team new or have they been there all along and I haven't noticed?

Yes, they are new. They signed on in September.

hose
12-20-2002, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo

The Sun-Times mentions that Richard Dotson has been named the pitching coach of Great Falls.

Lip Man 1
12-20-2002, 11:55 AM
Great Falls in the new Sox affiliate in the Pioneer (Rookie) League. For many years that organization (Great Falls) was associated with the Dodgers. In 93 I was at a game here in Pocatello and John "T-Bone" Shelby, was the manager.

Rick Sutcliffe was the pitching coach for the Idaho Falls Padres a few years back and Cory Lidle pitched for the Pocatello Posse in 1993.

The Pioneer League has teams in Utah, Idaho, Montana and Western Canada. I think it's an eight team league (maybe ten). They play from Mid June through Labor Day (split season format)

The league itself has been around since the 40's at least. Dick Allen among many others played in it.

Lip