PDA

View Full Version : Jose Cruz Jr. to become a Free Agent

Jjav829
12-19-2002, 10:02 PM
Cruz Jr. a FA (http://sportsnet.ca/mlb/story/10403233141380.shtml?sport=baseball&association=mlb&STORY_OID=10403233141380)

The Giants will be all over him. I would like to see him in a White Sox uni, but I don't see that happening.

NewyorkSoxFan
12-19-2002, 10:28 PM
I Agree. I mentioned this on a thread earlier, as an upgrade for our outfield, but I was shot down. I think he could be a better for us in center. I know he has played some center in Toronto.

NYSF

doublem23
12-19-2002, 10:54 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but can Cruz play center?

Not that I think he's headed here, but, hey... a boy can dream, eh?

MarkEdward
12-20-2002, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Excuse my ignorance, but can Cruz play center?

Not that I think he's headed here, but, hey... a boy can dream, eh?

He can play center, but he's not very good defensively.

For such a bad player, Cruz is going to get a pretty big contract. For a hitter, he's an awful left fielder but an acceptable center fielder.

kermittheefrog
12-20-2002, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
He can play center, but he's not very good defensively.

For such a bad player, Cruz is going to get a pretty big contract. For a hitter, he's an awful left fielder but an acceptable center fielder.

Usually we agree Mark but not here. I think Jose Cruz could be a bargain. Think about this guy, his offensive value lies exclusively in his secondary skills. If he's helping you on offense its with walks, power and igh percentage base stealing. His career batting average is just .251. He's the kind of guy who is traditionally underrated. He's 28 so he isn't on the decline just yet. I feel like he could be valuable in a two or three year deal which is what he'll get. He could easily post 70 extra base hits, walk 60-70 times and steal 15 bases. He'll certainly be a better bargain in center than Darin Erstad and I bet he'll come at 1/4 the price.

RichH55
12-20-2002, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Usually we agree Mark but not here. I think Jose Cruz could be a bargain. Think about this guy, his offensive value lies exclusively in his secondary skills. If he's helping you on offense its with walks, power and igh percentage base stealing. His career batting average is just .251. He's the kind of guy who is traditionally underrated. He's 28 so he isn't on the decline just yet. I feel like he could be valuable in a two or three year deal which is what he'll get. He could easily post 70 extra base hits, walk 60-70 times and steal 15 bases. He'll certainly be a better bargain in center than Darin Erstad and I bet he'll come at 1/4 the price.

Depending on contract, he's a better option that in house candidates....and crash is a 4th OF to me anyway

kermittheefrog
12-20-2002, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
Depending on contract, he's a better option that in house candidates....and crash is a 4th OF to me anyway

He would be blocking the path of Joe Borchard but I would give him one year with an option for a second in case a trade was made that makes us want to keep him around.

joecrede
12-20-2002, 11:08 AM
He would be blocking the path of Joe Borchard but I would give him one year with an option for a second in case a trade was made that makes us want to keep him around.

Agreed. If they had to go 2 and an option I think it would be worth it. Cruz would look nice batting 6-7 patrolling center next year.

NewyorkSoxFan
12-20-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
Agreed. If they had to go 2 and an option I think it would be worth it. Cruz would look nice batting 6-7 patrolling center next year.

Would be nice but why would he take a 2 year deal? He is probably looking for some stability, so he would probably take a little less money for a 3 or 4 year deal.

We know our team only likes signing guys for one year, why should KW and JR take any risks? And besides they are easier to trade in August when we tank.

NYSF

kermittheefrog
12-20-2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by NewyorkSoxFan
Would be nice but why would he take a 2 year deal? He is probably looking for some stability, so he would probably take a little less money for a 3 or 4 year deal.

NYSF

Edgardo Alfonzo is the only guy to sign this year getting a four year deal. Cruz isn't in Alfonzo's league even if I do personally think he'll perform well. Cruz would be lucky to get 3 years.

hold2dibber
12-20-2002, 01:29 PM
Edgardo Alfonzo is the only guy to sign this year getting a four year deal. Cruz isn't in Alfonzo's league even if I do personally think he'll perform well. Cruz would be lucky to get 3 years.

I agree -- if Jeff Kent can't get a 3 year deal, Jose Cruz Jr. will have a tough time doing so.

But I think it is highly unlikely that the Sox would go after him. His numbers last year were probably only a little better than I would expect Rowand to put up over a full year, and although Cruz would probably be pretty cheap (and he's a switch hitter), Rowand is cheaper and the Sox seem commited, at this point, to giving him a shot. I still wish we would have signed Steve Finley.

MarkEdward
12-20-2002, 01:54 PM

I mostly agree, but he'd have to play center to contribute offensively. I fear that, if Cruz was acquired, Lee would be traded, with Rowand roaming center field. Also, I guess I'm not as optimistic about Cruz's numbers as you are. I figure he'll be around .250/.320/.430 for the rest of his career. I'd get him if he's cheap, though.

Finally, except for Erstad's large contract, Cruz and Darin are somewhat similar. Cruz is up 40 points in slugging, but Erstad is up 20 points in OBP. Does Erstad's defensive abilities equal this out?