PDA

View Full Version : The big Sox news of the day

Daver
12-19-2002, 05:45 PM
The Sox reduced their forty man roster to 38 players with this move. (http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20021219&content_id=187634&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp)

hold2dibber
12-19-2002, 06:01 PM
Now I'm confused (a frequent problem for me): First, why does this move take them down to 38 and not 39? I thought we had 40 guys on the roster earlier in the week when the Rule 5 draft went down. Did we drop someone else in the interim? And second, why the hell did we have Dallearo on the 40 man roster for the Rule 5 draft if we were just going to drop him a few days later? If we thought he was worthless, why protect him? Why not drop him from the 40 man before the Rule 5 draft so you can protect someone else? Am I missing something here? Finally, why drop him at all? Is there some strategic reason to drop him from the 40 man roster now? Does this suggest that KW is ready to make a deal or sign a FA to fill those last two spots on the 40 man roster? Or does it just mean that Ritchie and Parque were off the 40 man and are coming back on? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Daver
12-19-2002, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Now I'm confused (a frequent problem for me): First, why does this move take them down to 38 and not 39? I thought we had 40 guys on the roster earlier in the week when the Rule 5 draft went down. Did we drop someone else in the interim? And second, why the hell did we have Dallearo on the 40 man roster for the Rule 5 draft if we were just going to drop him a few days later? If we thought he was worthless, why protect him? Why not drop him from the 40 man before the Rule 5 draft so you can protect someone else? Am I missing something here? Finally, why drop him at all? Is there some strategic reason to drop him from the 40 man roster now? Does this suggest that KW is ready to make a deal or sign a FA to fill those last two spots on the 40 man roster? Or does it just mean that Ritchie and Parque were off the 40 man and are coming back on? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

The Sox were at 39 when the rule 5 draft was held,they declined to make a pick,the general consensus is that Jim Pargue will not be brought back,so when the Ritchie signing is announced the roster will go back to 39,leaving a roster spot open.

As far as Dallero being on the forty man roster I have no idea,the guy can't play SS at this level and does not want to pitch,so protecting him in the rule 5 draft confused me,but it wouldn't be the first time I was confused. :redneck

RichH55
12-19-2002, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by daver
The Sox were at 39 when the rule 5 draft was held,they declined to make a pick,the general consensus is that Jim Pargue will not be brought back,so when the Ritchie signing is announced the roster will go back to 39,leaving a roster spot open.

As far as Dallero being on the forty man roster I have no idea,the guy can't play SS at this level and does not want to pitch,so protecting him in the rule 5 draft confused me,but it wouldn't be the first time I was confused. :redneck

THat just seems foolish....Its not like KW forgot to check a box or something, but why risk Majewski when you dont have to?

Daver
12-19-2002, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
THat just seems foolish....Its not like KW forgot to check a box or something, but why risk Majewski when you dont have to?

The chances are quite good that the Sox will get Majewski back,and come out 25,000 dollars ahead on the deal.

DrCrawdad
12-19-2002, 07:13 PM
What is it with Dellaero, why is it that the Sox haven't just cut him loose? Why does Dellaero hold a roster space meanwhile the Sox lose (even if it's just temporary) guys who are more valuable?

So far at least Dellaero has been a complete waste of a #1 pick. I wonder if picking Dellaero was at least part of the reason Schu lost control over the draft?

- DrCrawdad.

doublem23
12-19-2002, 09:53 PM
:MJ
I was awesome, though.

rmusacch
12-19-2002, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

When they showed the results of the draft, it showed the Sox were at 40. They were actually at 39. Ritchie and Parque are both included in the 39.

kermittheefrog
12-19-2002, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
When they showed the results of the draft, it showed the Sox were at 40. They were actually at 39. Ritchie and Parque are both included in the 39.

Baseball America's draft results listed the Sox as not making a pick rather than having a full roster. Dumb move in my opinion.