PDA

View Full Version : I-Rod to Japan?

hold2dibber
12-19-2002, 09:21 AM
Today's Trib reports that Ivan Rodriquez rejected Baltimore's 3 year $18 million offer ($6 million per year) and that he is considering playing in Japan! Who would have thought, a year or two ago, that Jeff Kent and I-Rod would only be able to secure $18 million contracts. Fiscal sanity may be returning to the game.

And by the way, despite the fact that the Cubs did NOTHING yesterday, the Trib sports section included three articles about the Cubs and, of course, none about the Sox.

OneDog
12-19-2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Today's Trib reports that Ivan Rodriquez rejected Baltimore's 3 year $18 million offer ($6 million per year) and that he is considering playing in Japan! Who would have thought, a year or two ago, that Jeff Kent and I-Rod would only be able to secure $18 million contracts. Fiscal sanity may be returning to the game.

And by the way, despite the fact that the Cubs did NOTHING yesterday, the Trib sports section included three articles about the Cubs and, of course, none about the Sox.

WHOA!

I could never see a player like Ivan going over to Japan. Some team will give him a deal before it comes to that. Ballplayers need to remove their heads from their rectums and realize that with this new deal they have, they can't command enormous salaries anymore.

MetalliSox
12-19-2002, 04:56 PM
I think it's just a lame attempt to get leverage. He won't get the money he wants in Japan.
Probably just wanting $10 a year to sit on the DL for 70 games a year.

This off season seems to have a clash between owners and agents/players that we can't see or read about.

If IRod goes to Japan, I'll streak the home opener in April.

T Dog
12-19-2002, 07:20 PM
I've heard that if the Yakult Swallows hire Dusty Baker to manage, they'll attract better free agents.

RedPinStripes
12-19-2002, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by KonerkosHip
I think it's just a lame attempt to get leverage. He won't get the money he wants in Japan.

you got it.

jortafan
12-19-2002, 08:48 PM
I'll agree it's probably a negotiation tactic. But don't rule out the possibility of it happening. I seem to recall Bob Horner leaving Atlanta at the peak of his home-run hitting abilities to play one year in Japan, because the money was right.

chisox06
12-20-2002, 12:05 AM
For sure just a negotiaiting tactic. How can he not be happy with the Baltimore deal after seeing how the free agent market has been?