PDA

View Full Version : Cal Eldred

Vsahajpal
12-19-2002, 03:54 AM
signed a minor league deal with the Cardinals. I guess Tony Saunders said no.

RichH55
12-19-2002, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
signed a minor league deal with the Cardinals. I guess Tony Saunders said no.

I'm a Cal Eldred fan....but come on man(I'm assuming this deal was to pitch and not to coach?)..hang it up, take a pitching coach job somewhere. THis has Dave Drubecky(spelling?) written all over it

OneDog
12-19-2002, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
I'm a Cal Eldred fan....but come on man(I'm assuming this deal was to pitch and not to coach?)..hang it up, take a pitching coach job somewhere. THis has Dave Drubecky(spelling?) written all over it

Dravecky. He survived a cancerous tumor being removed from his arm, returned to baseball, had his arm break on the mound and when a teammate bumped into it, and then required amputation. Not exactly the same as Cal Eldred's chronic elbow problems.

FanOf14
12-19-2002, 09:08 AM
I thought Cal retired from baseball because his doctor said if he pitches anymore, he might lose use of that arm...must have misunderstood the news that day.

voodoochile
12-19-2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by FanOf14
I thought Cal retired from baseball because his doctor said if he pitches anymore, he might lose use of that arm...must have misunderstood the news that day.

Might have been the official diagnosis so he could collect his buyout from the insurance company. Couple of years later and boom, new doctor gives him permission to pitch...

Hope he does okay, but I am skeptical as to why he is doing this. This is not a problem that is going to get better, IMO, but I'm not a doctor. Maybe the extra time allowed the bone to finish growing in around the pin and he will have no further problems...

Medford Bobby
12-19-2002, 12:00 PM
Can this mean that a Jaimie Navarro signing could be in some one's future........

Foulke You
12-19-2002, 01:25 PM
The question is, with Cal's ties to the organization why didn't the Sox offer him a minor league offer? I agree that the chance that Cal has anything left in the tank is very small but I would've chanced it considering how effective he was when he was healthy and what a positive influence he had with the young pitchers and in the clubhouse. Who knows, maybe if he fizzled early, he would stay with the team as a coach or something? Feel free to tell me how foolish I am for thinking this and that he will get in the way of a young pitcher's development. :D:

jeremyb1
12-19-2002, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
The question is, with Cal's ties to the organization why didn't the Sox offer him a minor league offer? I agree that the chance that Cal has anything left in the tank is very small but I would've chanced it considering how effective he was when he was healthy and what a positive influence he had with the young pitchers and in the clubhouse. Who knows, maybe if he fizzled early, he would stay with the team as a coach or something? Feel free to tell me how foolish I am for thinking this and that he will get in the way of a young pitcher's development. :D:

i agree more or less. i'd be worried he'd block a better, younger pitcher but i just think there's any way he'll get good enough or healthy enough to pitch in the majors. i always liked cal a lot and i think we should try to bring him back in any capacity possible in the future.

voodoochile
12-19-2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Medford Bobby
Can this mean that a Jaimie Navarro signing could be in some one's future........

That is always good for a laugh...

Welcome aboard...

Pete_SSAC
12-19-2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14

Which rasies an intersting question. If a fan gets a foul ball, they can keep it, so, if a pitcher, say... looses an arm and it flies into the stands, does the fan keep it, or do they trade it in for a replacement arm?

- Pete

OneDog
12-19-2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC
Which rasies an intersting question. If a fan gets a foul ball, they can keep it, so, if a pitcher, say... looses an arm and it flies into the stands, does the fan keep it, or do they trade it in for a replacement arm?

- Pete

That's horrible.

But it's also guilt-inducingly funny.

:)

RichH55
12-19-2002, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by OneDog
That's horrible.

But it's also guilt-inducingly funny.

:)

I'm having visions of an old SNL sketch with Phil Hartman as a Russian Weightlifter in the Pro-Drug Olympics...."Oh and the Big Russian's arms have been ripped from the sockets. That has to be a letdown for him."