PDA

View Full Version : Yankees, Matsui close to reaching three-year deal

Unregistered
12-19-2002, 12:51 AM
"Buying their way to yet another pennant, Ladies and Gentlemen, your New York Yankees!"
http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1218/1479234.html

Lip Man 1
12-19-2002, 01:47 AM
We can only wish Jerry Reinsdorf had the same fanatical devotion to winning that George Steinbrenner does.

I'm glad to see this, that way when the Yanks make the playoffs another five years in a row while teams like the Royals and Reds cut payroll even with revenue sharing money, it'll be clear to all the new CBA doesn't work, never did and that the fans backed the wrong side (the owners).

You want to fix baseball's problems, get rid of scumbags like Reinsdorf, Loria, Selig, Glass, Linder, Mooras etc and bring in owners who want to win and are willing to try to get it.

Lip

RichH55
12-19-2002, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
We can only wish Jerry Reinsdorf had the same fanatical devotion to winning that George Steinbrenner does.

I'm glad to see this, that way when the Yanks make the playoffs another five years in a row while teams like the Royals and Reds cut payroll even with revenue sharing money, it'll be clear to all the new CBA doesn't work, never did and that the fans backed the wrong side (the owners).

You want to fix baseball's problems, get rid of scumbags like Reinsdorf, Loria, Selig, Glass, Linder, Mooras etc and bring in owners who want to win and are willing to try to get it.

Lip

Well I dont like the Glasses(especially him) or Pohland's of the world, I don't aspire to be George either. Can the Sox afford more payroll? Certainly. 150 million is not in the picture, nor should it be. George has lucked out on his spending, it can bite a team in the ass(See Baltimore and Texas). But where is the skill in having your team in NY? Granted Chicago isnt a small market, but the extra money you can spend in NY doesnt come from being particularly brilliant(See the Mets). Buying a penant kind of seems hollow doesnt it? I don't cheer for the Yankees and I dont cheer for the likes of the 1997(?) Marlins either. Hey if you are going to win it, why not win it the right way? Most everyone here has been waiting a damn long time for it, I for one don't want it to ring hollow

Paulwny
12-19-2002, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
Buying a penant kind of seems hollow doesnt it?

Not to yankmee fans.

Paulwny
12-19-2002, 07:20 AM
So much for George cutting payroll.
This isn't just a baseball deal, it's a big business deal. George's YES network will negotiate a deal to televise yankmee games in Japan.
More money in King George's wallet.