PDA

View Full Version : Sox Re-group

lowesox
12-18-2002, 03:37 PM
Ok. We're not going to get Colon. Ortiz is gone. Maddux is too expensive. Everybody knows that So who would everybody like to see signed as our "veteran pitcher." KW is going to sign a veteran arm and pass him off as a legit no. 2 man. Personally Im happy about this since our fearless decision maker gets skinned every time he trades. Not too mention I think there are a lot of good low-value pitchers available. I for one would like to see the Sox sign Estes. Anybody else have a veteran theyd like to see in our rotation?

wulfy
12-18-2002, 03:57 PM
Not a big fan of Estes. At all.

Of those still out there, free agency-wise, that we can afford, I like Robert Person of the Phillies. He's got a little JB in him. Is he healthy?

What about Kenny Rogers?

Sucks to shop at Wal-Mart all the time when everyone else shops at Fields.

hold2dibber
12-18-2002, 04:02 PM
I wouldn't touch Rogers with a 10 foot pole and I don't know much about Person. Estes doesn't have as much upside as some others who are still out there. If I had to pick one of the remaining free agent starters (other than Maddux or Clemens, of course), I think I'd most like to see either Daal or Valdes. I think Daal might string together a few solid years and Valdes, when healthy, is pretty solid. But at this point, I'd rather them just go with what we have (including re-signing Ritchie).

Hullett_Fan
12-18-2002, 04:02 PM
Welcome lowesox.

IMO Ritchie will be that veteran prescence unless he wasn't offered arbitration.

Estes would be a nice addition, but I think the Cubs may get him.

Clemens (if he'd accept a 1-year, $5 mil contract) while not on top of his game, would be fun to have on the team just to have someone on the roster (other than Big Hurt) with name recognition outside the Chicagoland area.

Kenny Rogers would be OK

I don't want Ismael Valdes.

At this point, we might as well give the young arms a shot and see if we can't still win the division (60/40 shot with the team we have now, IMO). Then we can figure out who the #3, #4 and #5 starters are and get a real #1/#2 pitcher for 2004 when we win it all .

voodoochile
12-18-2002, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
2004 when we win it all .

Pipe dreams go in deep pink...

Maybe you meant to be sarcastic, I don't know...

Hullett_Fan
12-18-2002, 04:16 PM
Pipe dreams go in deep pink ...Maybe you meant to be sarcastic, I don't know...

Thanks. I'm slowly learning. :smile:

I'll save the sarcasm until next year's winter meetings if they go the way these did.

hold2dibber
12-18-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
Clemens (if he'd accept a 1-year, $5 mil contract) while not on top of his game, would be fun to have on the team just to have someone on the roster (other than Big Hurt) with name recognition outside the Chicagoland area.

Clemens might take a 1-year $5 mm contract from the YankeMees, but I doubt he would from anyone else. For a team like the Sox to get him, I think they'd have to pay $10 million/year for 2 years.

jeremyb1
12-18-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Ok. We're not going to get Colon. Ortiz is gone. Maddux is too expensive. Everybody knows that So who would everybody like to see signed as our "veteran pitcher." KW is going to sign a veteran arm and pass him off as a legit no. 2 man. Personally Im happy about this since our fearless decision maker gets skinned every time he trades. Not too mention I think there are a lot of good low-value pitchers available. I for one would like to see the Sox sign Estes. Anybody else have a veteran theyd like to see in our rotation?

i think kw is serious about sticking with what we have. assuming he brings back ritchie, there'd probably only be one rotation spot left and either biddle or rauch deserves a shot.

Daver
12-18-2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Clemens might take a 1-year $5 mm contract from the YankeMees, but I doubt he would from anyone else. For a team like the Sox to get him, I think they'd have to pay $10 million/year for 2 years.

Clemens would never play for Jerry Reinsdorf.

It was reported today that the Sox will announce a deal with Todd Ritchie tomorrow,and that Jim Parque will not be offered arbitration.

Lip Man 1
12-18-2002, 05:53 PM
For what it's worth, Clemens' agent Randy Hendricks said today he thinks Roger is going back to New York. perhaps the Colon deal if off, or Colon is headed to Boston or by signing "Godzilla" the Yanks may feel resigning Clemens is cheaper then trying to get Colon.

Who knows?

Lip

RichH55
12-18-2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by wulfy
Not a big fan of Estes. At all.

Of those still out there, free agency-wise, that we can afford, I like Robert Person of the Phillies. He's got a little JB in him. Is he healthy?

What about Kenny Rogers?

Sucks to shop at Wal-Mart all the time when everyone else shops at Fields.

No ROgers.....he is due for a painful year

WinningUgly!
12-18-2002, 07:04 PM
Rogers & Valdez are garbage. I'm not sure Estes or Person are significant enough upgrades on what we already have to even bother with. Daal is the best of what's left, other than Maddux & Clemens.

kermittheefrog
12-18-2002, 08:45 PM
I don't understand why there is such an anti-Valdes sentiment. If we were to sign a second tier guy I'd love to have him. He'd likely be much better than Ritchie for the same money. He's been at least a league average pitcher for all but one year in his career, usually posting a ERA significantly better than average. Are you guys anti-Valdes because when he sucked he sucked for the Cubs and thats when you heard about him the most?

WinningUgly!
12-18-2002, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I don't understand why there is such an anti-Valdes sentiment. If we were to sign a second tier guy I'd love to have him. He'd likely be much better than Ritchie for the same money. He's been at least a league average pitcher for all but one year in his career, usually posting a ERA significantly better than average. Are you guys anti-Valdes because when he sucked he sucked for the Cubs and thats when you heard about him the most?

If we would be getting the Valdes from 94-97 I'd be all for it. The Ismael Valdes from 98-on...no thanks. I'd rather wait on Lip's "can't miss kids" to reach their potential, than hope a guy like Valdes can recapture his former ability.

Bobby Thigpen
12-19-2002, 08:46 AM
Of all that are left I like Daal. I would love to have Maddux, but it isn't going to happen. Daal is decent and could be poised to have a very big year.

Randar68
12-19-2002, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Well, I'm glad i read the whole thread before posting... can I get an Amen?!?

Look at his #'s last season. He's good for an ERA in the high 3's or low 4's and is better than Ritchie ever was or will be. Ritchie has a bit better endurance, but that's it...

Of course, for those of you who know me, I'm sure you know I would just as soon see Rauch and Biddle in the lineup before another veteran 3, 4, or 5 pitcher...