PDA

View Full Version : State of the Twins?

Foulke You
12-18-2002, 11:53 AM
Does anyone have any info on what the Twinkees have been up to this offseason? I know they lost Ortiz but do they have any other free agents they may lose? Is their pitching rotation going to be the same? Any trades or signings?

I'm just wondering if it will be the same Twins team we have to face for the AL Central crown this year or if they may be weaker due to financial reasons. Let's face it, it's going to be a 2 team race because the Tribe, Royals, and Tigers are going to be pretty bad. The question is whether we have the arms to compete. I know it's pretty bad when I'm hoping for our main competitor to get worse before we get better but hey, I'm a Sox fan! I know better than to hope for that.:D:

Unregistered
12-18-2002, 12:12 PM
ESPN Twins Team Page (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=min)
does a pretty good job of noting offseason transactions.

ma-gaga
12-18-2002, 03:14 PM
What do you want, the long story or the short story?

The semi-short story:
The Twins are bringing back their entire starting pitching staff, their entire infield and outfield. They need to make a couple of bullpen moves, having let go Mike Jackson and Bob Wells. They dropped David Ortiz in favor of a class V shortstop, who sounds like he's a year or two away from being a backup at best. They are going to have 5 OF'ers, and 1 DH fighting for 4 spots. And they are trying to sign T.Hunter to a long-term deal (read 4 years) done. The other arbitration players (j.jones and d.mientkiewicz) will probably get one year deals.

Pohlad has allowed T.Ryan to have a $55MM payroll. He's 'energized' and loved the playoff green and wants more.

The stadium story:
$4.5B state defecit, so the states contributions to a ballpark are going to be minimum at best.

:)

OneDog
12-18-2002, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Does anyone have any info on what the Twinkees have been up to this offseason? I know they lost Ortiz but do they have any other free agents they may lose? Is their pitching rotation going to be the same? Any trades or signings?

I'm just wondering if it will be the same Twins team we have to face for the AL Central crown this year or if they may be weaker due to financial reasons. Let's face it, it's going to be a 2 team race because the Tribe, Royals, and Tigers are going to be pretty bad. The question is whether we have the arms to compete. I know it's pretty bad when I'm hoping for our main competitor to get worse before we get better but hey, I'm a Sox fan! I know better than to hope for that.:D:

I think that the Tribe, Tigers, and Royals will be better than most people expect because it's really hard to be as bad as people say they will be :D: .

hold2dibber
12-18-2002, 03:25 PM
My thinking on the Twins all comes down to this: they had career years out of virtually everyone in their bullpen last year. It is highly unlikely that they will have the same success in '03. On the other hand, their starting rotation was not nearly as good as I would have expected in '03, with Radke, Mays and Milton all suffering through sub-standard campaigns; the contributions of Santana and Loehse were huge for them. So for the Twins, like the Sox, it appears to me to all come down to the rotation. If the Twins rotation steps up and pitches to its potential, I think they're a 90+ win team. If the rotation doesn't improve upon its performance from '02, they're an 80 to 84 win team.

hose
12-18-2002, 05:37 PM
Minnesota

OneDog
12-18-2002, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by hose
Minnesota

ha ha. funny

Foulke You
12-18-2002, 06:23 PM
Minnesota

I guess I was asking for that one...everyone is a comedian :D:

RichH55
12-18-2002, 06:38 PM
Minnesota

Clever.......But they do get their news a little late up there...apparently Kirby is having some legal troubles or something

hose
12-18-2002, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I guess I was asking for that one...everyone is a comedian :D:

:smile:

hose
12-18-2002, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Clever.......But they do get their news a little late up there...apparently Kirby is having some legal troubles or something

I read about Kirby on our WSI board yesterday, what a bummer.