PDA

View Full Version : Astros sign Kent

Jjav829
12-18-2002, 11:42 AM
Kent to join Astros (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1218/1478962.html)

So much for him joining the Cubs...

hold2dibber
12-18-2002, 12:04 PM
Interesting. I wonder how he'll fare at 3B. The link doesn't have the financial terms yet, but I wonder if this signing rules out Houston as a destination for Clemens.

DrCrawdad
12-18-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Kent to join Astros (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1218/1478962.html)

So much for him joining the Cubs...

So much for all the talk about how Kent and other FA's were as good as signed by the Cubs on account of their love of Dusty.

OfficerKarkovice
12-18-2002, 02:15 PM
The Astros are gonna have a helluva team this year. With Biggio, Bagwell, Berkman, and Kent along with Hidalgo and Ward they are gonna score a ton of runs. If I were the Cubs I would not be feeling very good about the chances this year.

OneDog
12-18-2002, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
The Astros are gonna have a helluva team this year. With Biggio, Bagwell, Berkman, and Kent along with Hidalgo and Ward they are gonna score a ton of runs. If I were the Cubs I would not be feeling very good about the chances this year.

Yeah they'll score a ton of runs, but the question is will their pitching staff be able to stop anyone in Minute Maid Park.

P.S. That is the stupidest name for a stadium I've ever heard.

wulfy
12-18-2002, 04:59 PM
Minute Maid Park.

P.S. That is the stupidest name for a stadium I've ever heard. [/B]

Until you see 5th/3rd Park at 35th. :smile:

Hangar18
12-18-2002, 05:13 PM
Yeah, the National/Local Media couldnt wait for Kent to come to the cubs. ONe thing I'll say about Jeff Kent....he should consider himself lucky he didnt come to the cubs. something happens when you put that ugly uniform of theirs on. Dustys
going to find out real quick. what a fool he was

OneDog
12-18-2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by wulfy
Until you see 5th/3rd Park at 35th. :smile:

Sorry, but even IF that happened, Minute Maid Park would still be the dumbest name for a stadium

hold2dibber
12-18-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by OneDog
Sorry, but even IF that happened, Minute Maid Park would still be the dumbest name for a stadium

PSI Net Stadium is awfully lame.

RichH55
12-18-2002, 07:15 PM

Kent wont put up the numbers he did last year...but still a pretty damn good lineup, and the rotation isnt bad either...anything that takes away from the Cubs :)

Vsahajpal
12-19-2002, 03:44 AM
Better Houston than Chicago.

So much for all the talk about how Kent and other FA's were as good as signed by the Cubs on account of their love of Dusty.

I'm sure they'd like to come to Chicago and play under a good manager, but veterans like Kent and Thome will not take a paycut. He could've stayed in SF and played 3B too. I-Rod has told Moorad that Chicago is his preferred destination, but at what cost? I certainly wouldn't want to give $8-10 MM a year for him (or Kent for that matter).

I wanted Alfonzo, he signed for reasonable dollars. That'll hurt.

RichH55
12-19-2002, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Better Houston than Chicago.

I'm sure they'd like to come to Chicago and play under a good manager, but veterans like Kent and Thome will not take a paycut. He could've stayed in SF and played 3B too. I-Rod has told Moorad that Chicago is his preferred destination, but at what cost? I certainly wouldn't want to give $8-10 MM a year for him (or Kent for that matter).

I wanted Alfonzo, he signed for reasonable dollars. That'll hurt.

Just let freaking Bellhorn play 3B with some Gruilanek(geez I butchered that name) sprinkled in. Hes cheap, so you can use the budget better(Irod?) and you dealt a good one in Morrisey to get him, so you might as well use him. Why they feel they have to replace Bellhorn(even talking about guys like Mueller and Joe Randa) is beyond me

Vsahajpal
12-19-2002, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
Just let freaking Bellhorn play 3B with some Gruilanek(geez I butchered that name) sprinkled in. Hes cheap, so you can use the budget better(Irod?) and you dealt a good one in Morrisey to get him, so you might as well use him. Why they feel they have to replace Bellhorn(even talking about guys like Mueller and Joe Randa) is beyond me

Morrissey is utility guy at best, which for some reason is what the Cubs view Bellhorn as. I agree with you, especially now that any viable 3B candidate is gone. Bellhorn should be the starter.

RichH55
12-19-2002, 04:33 AM
Morrissey is utility guy at best, which for some reason is what the Cubs view Bellhorn as. I agree with you, especially now that any viable 3B candidate is gone. Bellhorn should be the starter.

Well I was telling my Cubs friends from the start just to go with Bellhorn, especially after the LA trade. We will see on Morrissey, he is tearing it up in Winter Ball

Vsahajpal
12-19-2002, 04:55 AM
Well I was telling my Cubs friends from the start just to go with Bellhorn, especially after the LA trade. We will see on Morrissey, he is tearing it up in Winter Ball

Not a great indication considering the pitching at the AFL. He was...well, mediocre at best this season at Midland.

RichH55
12-19-2002, 05:02 AM
Not a great indication considering the pitching at the AFL. He was...well, mediocre at best this season at Midland.

He was still too much too give up for Bellhorn, especially if the team is doing everything they can to avoid playing Bellhorn

Vsahajpal
12-19-2002, 05:06 AM
I don't think so at all, the Cubs have better prospects than Morrissey (have you checked out Brendan Harris?), having seen him play, it wasn't much of a loss. Mark Bellhorn's 28, and will get his 500 AB (at least) next season and beyond.

RichH55
12-19-2002, 05:18 AM
I don't think so at all, the Cubs have better prospects than Morrissey (have you checked out Brendan Harris?), having seen him play, it wasn't much of a loss. Mark Bellhorn's 28, and will get his 500 AB (at least) next season and beyond.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this.

From Baseball Prospectus : Morrisey might be the best hitting Aussie import since Dave Nilsson

Vsahajpal
12-19-2002, 05:36 AM
I think we will have to agree to disagree on this.

From Baseball Prospectus : Morrisey might be the best hitting Aussie import since Dave Nilsson

That would explain his sub .700 OPS in a hitter's league.

DrCrawdad
12-20-2002, 05:09 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/thumbnails/columnist/2002-04/2565203.jpg
Steve Rosenbloom

Jeff Kent said he told his agent, Get me to Houston, and Im thinking, we all misunderstood the Cubs and what they really meant was that Dusty Baker would attract free agents to the Cubs division.

Tragg
12-20-2002, 05:20 PM

I thought that for the last few yearsthe Astros had a similar team to the Sox - margial defense; good hitters; their starting pitching is a little better; our pen is better. But they are getting old: Biggio, Bagwell and now Kent. I look for a .500ish club for the team from Enron.

Jerry_Manuel
12-20-2002, 11:02 PM
Biggio in the OF should be fun.