PDA

View Full Version : Allow Me To Vent

duke of dorwood
12-17-2002, 11:07 PM
Too big for the shoutbox. All we hear from this organization is about the "fans that dont come to the park" What about us that have gone, spent a lot of $ on a mediocre product? Buy jerseys? Those of us that gather here, exchagne ideas to improve the team we care about. There's a lot of emotion on this site and while all of baseball fills needs with some sort of acquisitions, my reward today was on the radio at 5:00 when after I hear the Braves pick up pitching we should have had, hear about more Cub signings, and have NOTHING happen at the Winter Meetings, I hear'" The Sox are about to sign Todd Ritchie" . Having gone to games, and spent hard earned $, this is what I get? I've seen that show before. It sucks. Dont they remember we were barely .500? Is this what I get for giving a damn?
Had to get that out, folks.

WinningUgly!
12-17-2002, 11:16 PM
Nicely done, but you probably don't feel any better, do you? :D:

duke of dorwood
12-17-2002, 11:19 PM
Just a little, like right after taking a dump

joecrede
12-17-2002, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Too big for the shoutbox. All we hear from this organization is about the "fans that dont come to the park" What about us that have gone, spent a lot of $ on a mediocre product? Buy jerseys? Those of us that gather here, exchagne ideas to improve the team we care about. There's a lot of emotion on this site and while all of baseball fills needs with some sort of acquisitions, my reward today was on the radio at 5:00 when after I hear the Braves pick up pitching we should have had, hear about more Cub signings, and have NOTHING happen at the Winter Meetings, I hear'" The Sox are about to sign Todd Ritchie" . Having gone to games, and spent hard earned $, this is what I get? I've seen that show before. It sucks. Dont they remember we were barely .500? Is this what I get for giving a damn?
Had to get that out, folks.

I can see your frustration. I'd rather no move, or a move with no downside (like re-signing Ritchie), than a bad move though.

WhiteSoxWinner
12-18-2002, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by joecrede
I can see your frustration. I'd rather no move, or a move with no downside (like re-signing Ritchie), than a bad move though.

This attitude has me greatly concerned. I have seen it creeping up on the board more and more. Why aren't we going out and signing these free agents? No downside there as we don't give anyone up. If we are so worried about our GM screwing up a trade that we are happy when he does nothing, then isn't that a pretty big indictment as to how BAD he is? I would rather feel like we are trying to do something other than be content to beat up on the Royals, Tigers, and Tampa and finish around .500.

VeeckAsInWreck
12-18-2002, 12:35 AM
We should be going after some pitchers. We need to get someone NOW. I don't care, KW can trade all our prospects but we need to get Colon, Vazquez or anybody who can get us 17-20 wins a season even if it is for 1-2 seasons. Everyone here is so concerned about protecting a future that will never come. KW had the right idea last year but he dealt for the wrong pitcher (Ritchie). I'm sure we can give something up to land Bartolo Colon and co. Otherwise you can look forward to the Twins dominating us all season again.
BTW, like duke of dorwood, I too am a season ticket holder and I hate the attitude the team takes toward the fans that do go to games. The team should worry about keeping the fans it does have instead of bitching about the ones that don't go.

Damn, that still didn't make me feel any better! :angry:

Lip Man 1
12-18-2002, 01:38 AM
Duke:

Very nicely done. May I suggest that you print it and mail it to the Sox?

As far as the philosophy of "no deal is better then a bad one," perhaps some folks feel that way because they see all these great young Sox prospects rising up out of the future mists of time, and leading the team to total domination in the A.L. Central, who knows they might even think that they'll win a game in the first round of the postseason.

I don't think that will ever happen but anything is possible (including the Cubs going to a World Series before the Sox which would mean Uncle Jerry can back up the moving trucks because the franchise on the South Side will be finished.)

Lip

Lip Man 1
12-18-2002, 01:42 AM
Veeck:

I agree with you completely... but that still won't change the minds of those who think winning 83 games a season is fine or who abhor the idea of trading a prospect who has an OBP of .483 against left handed relief pitchers with last names that have less then six letters because that kid MIGHT come back to haunt the Sox as they try to wrest control of the "mighty" A.L. Central!

Lip

jeremyb1
12-18-2002, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
This attitude has me greatly concerned. I have seen it creeping up on the board more and more. Why aren't we going out and signing these free agents? No downside there as we don't give anyone up. If we are so worried about our GM screwing up a trade that we are happy when he does nothing, then isn't that a pretty big indictment as to how BAD he is? I would rather feel like we are trying to do something other than be content to beat up on the Royals, Tigers, and Tampa and finish around .500.

i disagree. its not necesarily a reflection of having a bad gm (even though i do tend to believe we have one at least a lot of the time). i think that even the best gm in the world couldn't swing a good deal for a certain player at a certain time. a prime example of this is colon. minaya is asking an astronomical price for him at this point. a good gm wouldn't be able to swindle him and give up no one in return. a good gm would simply try to deal for someone else.

Lip Man 1
12-18-2002, 12:29 PM
Duke:

When you get right down to it, Reinsdorf is a great student of former Chicago Mayor Richard J. Daley.

It's all about ego and all about power.

Like with Daley, Reinsdorf becomes extremely agitated when anybody tries to tell him how to run "his" property. (In Daley's case it was Chicago...In Reinsdorf's it's the Sox) Remember that "fan friendly" town hall meeting that wound up becomming another national embarassment for the Sox? I remember reading about it in Sports Illustrated.

Of course the fact that a sports team (especially one who got a stadium built with tax payer money) is a public trust doesn't seem to matter in Jerry's world.

As we've all taked about before, Jerry's going to do it his way, despite what fans, the media, players and agents have to say (even if they should be right). And when he's completely destroyed the franchise he'll either find some sucker of a city to move to, or just dump it (perhaps even back on the city or state! That would be ironic!)

Lip

Hangar18
12-18-2002, 01:04 PM
Jerry Reinsdorf doesnt realize the Ticking Time Bomb
he has on his hands. He needs to stop pretending
that other team on the north side doesnt exist. Theyre
beating him to a pulp financially, this despite the fact
theyve lost well over 300 games the last few years.
If that other team ever beat us to the world series,
the Sox are Indeed finished in this town. The cubs will
become not only the media darlings of the town (which
they already are-see my post Media Watch) they will
become the media darlings Nationally. I can see
dusty baker on the E! channel, talking about his toothpicks,
good morning america will do piece on kerry wood and his
bartending "skills". there would be no end to the cub
love affair. For a guy who supposedly loves baseball,
and had his heart "broken" with the move of the Brooklyn
Dodgers, you would think Uncle Jerry would know what
NOT to do when running his own baseball team.

I CANT BELIEVE HOW FAR THIS FRANCHISE HAS
FALLEN FROM GRACE...........
its Unconscionable

pudge
12-18-2002, 01:12 PM
I don't know what any of you are talking about... we can easily win a weak Central Division, and then once we're in the play-offs, anything can happen - just look at the Angels. I think KW will be called a genious by the end of October.

Now am I supposed to put all that in pink?

Hangar18
12-18-2002, 01:17 PM
Theres another problem. KW sees the Angels
win the world series the way they did, and now hes going
to mimic them? So the SOX want to sneak into the
proverbial Restaurant we call the Playoffs by coming in the back door?? Typical Sox Mgmt style.
Heres an Idea.....Why cant we just come in the Front Door like everyone else and get the pitching we needed 2 yrs ago?

jeremyb1
12-18-2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Theres another problem. KW sees the Angels
win the world series the way they did, and now hes going
to mimic them? So the SOX want to sneak into the
proverbial Restaurant we call the Playoffs by coming in the back door?? Typical Sox Mgmt style.
Heres an Idea.....Why cant we just come in the Front Door like everyone else and get the pitching we needed 2 yrs ago?

and what williams is trying to do is a bad idea because the moves for d. wells and ritchie worked so well?

Hangar18
12-18-2002, 02:41 PM
No.........They went for the wrong pitchers.

duke of dorwood
12-18-2002, 03:22 PM
Right, Toronto didnt want Wells anymore, and I dont remember a huge market for Ritchie.

Lip Man 1
12-18-2002, 07:03 PM
Funny the Braves, Yankees and Cardinals never seem to have problems getting the pitchers they want.

Hell even in the early 90's, through 96, the Sox grabbed four or five guys who filled out the rotation and always seemed to win in double figures.

Lip