PDA

View Full Version : Rocket anyone?

MetalliSox
12-17-2002, 02:54 PM
Seems the Yanks maybe burning their bridge with Roger Clemens. I'd easily give him a 2 year deal at $10 mil a piece. I don't care if he has a bad groin and is old.
I'd give Reiny and KW kudos for the effort even if it didn't work out. It's not like we are trading away prospects or anything.

WHy am I wasting my breath? He'll end up in NY again or with Houston or Texas.

Buehrle
Garland
Wright
Ritchie
Rauch

Guess we should get used to it.

OfficerKarkovice
12-17-2002, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by KonerkosHip
Seems the Yanks maybe burning their bridge with Roger Clemens. I'd easily give him a 2 year deal at $10 mil a piece. I don't care if he has a bad groin and is old.
I'd give Reiny and KW kudos for the effort even if it didn't work out. It's not like we are trading away prospects or anything.

Buehrle
Garland
Wright
Ritchie
Rauch

I would take him for 2 years at $10 million a year in a second...but it would never happen. Would be nice tho.

34 Inch Stick
12-17-2002, 03:13 PM
Let's just stop our speculating on pitchers. There were at least three future HOFs on the market this year and several very good pitchers available.

We are not getting ANY of them. Our starting rotation will be exactly the same as the one at the beginning of last season. We should just accept this and end the pain caused by hope.

I still think we can win the division.

Jjav829
12-17-2002, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Let's just stop our speculating on pitchers. There were at least three future HOFs on the market this year and several very good pitchers available.

We are not getting ANY of them. Our starting rotation will be exactly the same as the one at the beginning of last season. We should just accept this and end the pain caused by hope.

I agree.

I disagree.

cornball
12-17-2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick

I agree, and it is a shame, because our division is so bad....there for the taking.

pudge
12-17-2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by KonerkosHip

Buehrle
Garland
Wright
Ritchie
Rauch

Biddle should be in there instead of Ritchie. I hope he wins the job.

Lip Man 1
12-17-2002, 05:32 PM
History lesson

"Roger Clemens is over the hill"--Sox GM Ron Schueler 1997.

Another brilliant prediction.

Lip

Hangar18
12-17-2002, 05:52 PM
I cant believe we chose Navarro over Rocket Clemens.

Another Reason some Organizations Win, and some Don't.
(I hear KW scuttled the Clemens signing back in '97)

Paulwny
12-17-2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
I agree.

I disagree.

I agree with you on both.

kermittheefrog
12-17-2002, 06:16 PM
I would love to see the Sox acquire Clemens. He still throws hard, he still gets K's, his career could look a lot like Nolan Ryan's as far as length but with a lot better quality.

Paulwny
12-17-2002, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I would love to see the Sox acquire Clemens. He still throws hard, he still gets K's, his career could look a lot like Nolan Ryan's as far as length but with a lot better quality.

Agree, a healthy Clemens can give you 6+ strong innings.
I have a feeling that if the yankmees obtain Colon or Vazquez, Boston will go all out for Clemens.

kermittheefrog
12-17-2002, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Agree, a healthy Clemens can give you 6+ strong innings.
I have a feeling that if the yankmees obtain Colon or Vazquez, Boston will go all out for Clemens.

Actually Boston is commonly linked with Cuban defector Jose Contreras who some people believe will immediately be an ace starter.

Ol Aches & Pains
12-17-2002, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
History lesson

"Roger Clemens is over the hill"--Sox GM Ron Schueler 1997.

Another brilliant prediction.

Lip

As I recall, Clemens was very interested in coming here in '97, and as you said, Schueler thought he was washed up. So while Clemens was winning Cy Young awards in Toronto, we were treated to the spectacle of Jaime Navarro, easily the worst pitcher I have ever seen at any level of professional baseball. They paid that bum $20 million, and got nothing . I doubt Clemens would even consider coming here now, after the way he was dismissed by the geniuses that run the White Sox organization.

cornball
12-17-2002, 10:17 PM
I heard on the radio today Boston (along with Kent) is a strong possiblity for Clemens if the Yankees dont offer on Friday. I think he is just what we need. I dont care how old he is he is a proven winner. Potential doesnt win.

The team as it stands will not win the division.

Lip Man 1
12-18-2002, 01:49 AM
I agree the way Clemens was dissed the last time he probably would go to the National League first and he'd still want a lot of money, certainly more then Uncle Jerry would allow.

As far as not winning the division, I'm sure a certain segment of the board will argue long and hard about how the numbers guarantee that the Sox are going to win come hell or high water. (perhaps in a fantasy league, but I agree with you, not in real life...)

Paulwny
12-18-2002, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Actually Boston is commonly linked with Cuban defector Jose Contreras who some people believe will immediately be an ace starter.

His residency/citizenship to avoid the draft failed. Unless his agent comes up with another plan, he'll be in the mlb draft.

RichH55
12-18-2002, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
His residency/citizenship to avoid the draft failed. Unless his agent comes up with another plan, he'll be in the mlb draft.

I believe he was just declared a FA