PDA

View Full Version : Paul Byrd still out there...

Foulke You
12-17-2002, 02:11 PM
Anyone know how much Paul Byrd is asking for? Solid pitcher coming off a great season. He knows the AL Central Division and had a great record with the woeful Royals. He's not a Bartolo Colon or Maddux but I wonder how much it would take to rescue him from KC.

Chisoxfn
12-17-2002, 02:12 PM
Royals keep saying they want to sign him, but so far nothing substantial.

I thought someone on one of the boards mentioned he's supposed to sign, but right now I think he's still anyones game.

He's expected to turn down Arbitration(He has till the 19th) as he is looking for a multi year deal.

duke of dorwood
12-17-2002, 02:20 PM
:reinsy

Er........you mean Multi Incentive, dont you?

hold2dibber
12-17-2002, 02:22 PM
My guess is that the Phillies will over pay to bring him back. I had heard the Braves as a possible suitor, but I don't see that happening now (unless Maddux signs elsewhere).

I would like to have Byrd, but I'm leery of 33 year old pitchers coming off of career years.

pudge
12-17-2002, 02:33 PM
Very interesting interview on Seattle radio this morning with Larry Bowa, who claimed the Phillies would sign Byrd *today* and Seattle as the only other club with an outside shot.

Unregistered
12-17-2002, 02:47 PM
From Jayson Stark:Officials for the Royals, Braves and Phillies said they were told Monday by Paul Byrd's agent, Bo McKinnis, that Byrd will decide Tuesday where he will sign -- and that those three teams are the finalists. Then again, at the top of that article was the story about how Ortiz was likely getting traded to the Sox with no mention of the Braves, so who knows...

pudge
12-17-2002, 04:29 PM
Byrd went with less for Atlanta... that is his home, so it makes sense.