PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought

MaggPipes
12-17-2002, 08:48 AM
Maybe we turned down the deal for Ortiz because they wanted a Rauch or Honel as that prospect and now are further pursuing the Vidro/Colon/Barret deal.........who nows....any that seems a lot more "CREATIVE", as Kenny has been saying they have to be....

duke of dorwood
12-17-2002, 08:54 AM
I think we can kiss Colon goodbye. Plan "B" is alive.

HawkDJ
12-17-2002, 08:55 AM
I still wouldn't be completely positive we turnedit down. Rogers is the one who started the rucus that we would give up Konerko BTW. Also Jayson Stark reports Ortiz will most likely go to us for prospects andsaid negotiations were going on Monday NIGHT unlike the rerpot by Rogers.

Lip Man 1
12-17-2002, 12:51 PM
Yea Kenny was very "creative" with both Maddux and Ortiz wasn't he? Sigh

Lip

jeremyb1
12-17-2002, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Yea Kenny was very "creative" with both Maddux and Ortiz wasn't he? Sigh

this is the same illogical ridiculous argument over and over again from about a dozen people and its getting to be really boring. there were four (now three) "frontline" starting pitchers on the market. maddux, who is asking 20 million dollars, ortiz who would've cost us paully or at least several top prospects, and vazquez and colon who minaya is trying to make a killing with. what are we supposed to do just give them whatever they want? its not like we have a lot of options here. there are 4 pitchers and the market is being set by whatever the gm's and agents ask for. i fail to see how doing whatever it takes to get a number two pitcher improves our team. trading konerko for ortiz does NOT improve our team just because ortiz is a "number 2 starter". lets be realistic here.

Unregistered
12-17-2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
this is the same illogical ridiculous argument over and over again from about a dozen people and its getting to be really boring. there were four (now three) "frontline" starting pitchers on the market. maddux, who is asking 20 million dollars, ortiz who would've cost us paully or at least several top prospects, and vazquez and colon who minaya is trying to make a killing with. what are we supposed to do just give them whatever they want? its not like we have a lot of options here. there are 4 pitchers and the market is being set by whatever the gm's and agents ask for. i fail to see how doing whatever it takes to get a number two pitcher improves our team. trading konerko for ortiz does NOT improve our team just because ortiz is a "number 2 starter". lets be realistic here.
Just as tired as the other illogical argument is the SAME boring argument that we were going to give up Konerko for Ortiz. EVERYONE said that the entire deal was Ortiz for prospects, and in all the buzz on espn, etc., there was not even a MENTION of us giving up our starting first baseman for a number two starter. All that was said (by Rogers or whoever) was that the giants were looking for a bat, not even necessarily from a trade, and all of the sudden we're trading Konerko for Ortiz straight up. Don't believe the hype. The entire Konerko trading rumor lived and died on message boards.

doublem23
12-17-2002, 01:31 PM
Don't believe ESPN, Peter Gammons, or Phil Rogers. They're all morons trying to get publicity. I highly doubt KW (as much as I dislike him) would have rejected Liefer/Lee, Malone, Stewart (or whatever the rumor was) for Russ Ortiz.

Jeremy is correct. While it is somewhat troubling that we're not pickng up a starter, we'd all go berserk if we dumped guys like Borchard, Honel, or Konerko or end up paying Maddux some $20 million dollars over a couple of years.

See the Texas Rangers and Baltimore Orioles as to what happens when you don't put any thought into your organization and just throw around prospects and money. Yeah... I wanna be them.

Lip Man 1
12-17-2002, 05:58 PM
Jeremy:

Just as boring as your argument that 83 wins a season is doing really good under the circumstances.

Garbage. I hope to live long enough to see if you feel the same way in twenty years when the Sox still haven't done squat.

And it's just as ridiculous to say not to believe anybody in the media. As if we have the sources that they have or the ability from day to day dealing with the issues, to have as good of an understanding.

That's right they are all egotistical morons who get into games free and and contribute nothing of value (oh yea, and they are all Cubs fans!) Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?) Sure all of us fans here at WSI know more about things then the folks who do that job for a living. Please!

Lip

hold2dibber
12-17-2002, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
While it is somewhat troubling that we're not pickng up a starter, we'd all go berserk if we dumped guys like Borchard, Honel, or Konerko or end up paying Maddux some $20 million dollars over a couple of years.

I'd be thrilled if the Sox signed Maddux for $20 million dollars over a couple of years.