PDA

View Full Version : Per Murph & Fred...


Viva Magglio
12-17-2002, 07:21 AM
...we would trade Willie Harris, Jeff Leifer, and an unnamed prospect to San Francisco for Russ Ortiz.

MaggPipes
12-17-2002, 07:25 AM
i am all for that.......as long as the unamed is not Borchard or Honel

HawkDJ
12-17-2002, 07:45 AM
Except for the fact Phil Rogers said we turned that deal down yesterday afternoon.

duke of dorwood
12-17-2002, 07:51 AM
They also said the prospect would be either Corwin Malone or Josh Stewart. (Ouch)

hold2dibber
12-17-2002, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
Except for the fact Phil Rogers said we turned that deal down yesterday afternoon.

Phil Rogers did NOT say that we turned that deal down yesterday afternoon. Sheesh. He said the deal wasn't completed. It may well be that the Giants changed their minds and decided to keep Ortiz. Or they may have said that the prospect had to be Borchard or Rauch and KW said no thanks. Who knows. It's also possible that although the deal wasn't completed, it still may be in the works. Let's everyone please stop spreading this false contention that the Sox turned down that deal.

Hullett_Fan
12-17-2002, 08:20 AM
Do it now. All for letting go of Liefer and Harris. And if SF wants a prospect, give them Malone (I don't think he'll end up being more than an average middle reliever in the ML...but just my opinion).

Bobby Thigpen
12-17-2002, 08:27 AM
If we could give them Liefer, Harris and Malone then that would be a great deal. Liefer will never play for us with Frank, PK, and Lee, nor should he. Liefer is not good, nor will he ever be. Harris isn't all that great and Jiminez makes him expendable. And I agree that Malone will never amount to much of anything. This would be a great trade.

kermittheefrog
12-17-2002, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
They also said the prospect would be either Corwin Malone or Josh Stewart. (Ouch)

Ouch? Stewart is proof of how the Sox hype their own prospects. The guy has nothing. He doesn't have a great arm and his stats aren't really all that impressive. He had a good year in a pitchers park but he doesn't strike anyone out and he's not particularly young. Age and strikeouts are extremely important factors. If he stays in our system he'll get torn up at AAA Charlotte.

OfficerKarkovice
12-17-2002, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Ouch? Stewart is proof of how the Sox hype their own prospects. The guy has nothing. He doesn't have a great arm and his stats aren't really all that impressive. He had a good year in a pitchers park but he doesn't strike anyone out and he's not particularly young. Age and strikeouts are extremely important factors. If he stays in our system he'll get torn up at AAA Charlotte.
My thoughts exactly...Stewart is incredibly overrated and we should have dealt him if we had the chance.

doublem23
12-17-2002, 11:37 AM
Ouch... Now we're believing the likes of Peter Gammons, Phil Rogers, and idiots on Chicago sports radio?

What is the world coming to? Next thing, we're going to start believing Mariotti.

:moron
Sammy Sosa is the greatest baseball player ever! If it wasn't for him, baseball would never have become the American past time!

jeremyb1
12-17-2002, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Ouch? Stewart is proof of how the Sox hype their own prospects. The guy has nothing. He doesn't have a great arm and his stats aren't really all that impressive. He had a good year in a pitchers park but he doesn't strike anyone out and he's not particularly young. Age and strikeouts are extremely important factors. If he stays in our system he'll get torn up at AAA Charlotte.

because one person on a message board thinks stewart is good that's an example of how the sox overhype their prospects? are you serious? what evidence do you have that one poster's evaluations of josh stewart are based on what the white sox have said about him? maybe its merely an example of how one fan or even many fans have independently chosen to hype stewart for his dominant afl performance. how is it the organization's fault if individual fans don't take age or secondary stats into consideration? should they have not sent him to the afl? i don't get it.

doublem23
12-17-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
because one person on a message board thinks stewart is good that's an example of how the sox overhype their prospects? are you serious? what evidence do you have that one poster's evaluations of josh stewart are based on what the white sox have said about him? maybe its merely an example of how one fan or even many fans have independently chosen to hype stewart for his dominant afl performance. how is it the organization's fault if individual fans don't take age or secondary stats into consideration? should they have not sent him to the afl? i don't get it.

It's pretty well-known the Sox hype their prospects... Scott Ruffcorn, anyone?

hold2dibber
12-17-2002, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
because one person on a message board thinks stewart is good that's an example of how the sox overhype their prospects? are you serious? what evidence do you have that one poster's evaluations of josh stewart are based on what the white sox have said about him? maybe its merely an example of how one fan or even many fans have independently chosen to hype stewart for his dominant afl performance. how is it the organization's fault if individual fans don't take age or secondary stats into consideration? should they have not sent him to the afl? i don't get it.

Well said. But even if it were true that the Sox somehow overhyped Stewart, that's only a bad thing if the Sox themselves believe the overhype. Otherwise, they may be able to trade the guy for someone better (Matt Guerrier for Damaso Marte being a possible example).

Chisoxfn
12-17-2002, 01:09 PM
Also, if you guys recalls the Guerrier deal. Manuel had hyped him saying how he was excited to give him a shot and he may just get the 5th starters spot out of spring training.

Bam..then we dealt him.

Then earlier this week, Manuel made some nice comments about Stewart, and maybe we are looking to move him and take advantage of a very impressive AFL.

WhiteSoxWinner
12-17-2002, 01:26 PM
As Jesse Jackson once said in a gameshow parody on SNL:

The point is moot!

KW bobbled another one.

RichH55
12-17-2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
Also, if you guys recalls the Guerrier deal. Manuel had hyped him saying how he was excited to give him a shot and he may just get the 5th starters spot out of spring training.

Bam..then we dealt him.

Then earlier this week, Manuel made some nice comments about Stewart, and maybe we are looking to move him and take advantage of a very impressive AFL.

That would be nice....sell high

CLR01
12-17-2002, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
It's pretty well-known the Sox hype their prospects... Scott Ruffcorn, anyone?


Every team hypes their prospects. Why is this an argument?

RichH55
12-18-2002, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by CLR01
Every team hypes their prospects. Why is this an argument?

Its smart to do as well...just dont believe too much of the hype yourself

doublem23
12-18-2002, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by CLR01
Every team hypes their prospects. Why is this an argument?

Don't ask me, ask jeremy.