PDA

View Full Version : Prospects for Ortiz

balboner
12-17-2002, 12:05 AM
In J. Stark's most recent column on espn.com, he says Ortiz might get traded to the Sox for prospects. He makes no mention of Paul Konerko, which I definitely believe he would do if he heard he might be involved in the trade.

Lip Man 1
12-17-2002, 12:12 AM
This is from Phil Rogers latest column on the Tribune:

"White Sox general manager Ken Williams similarly returned empty handed. He was having discussions with San Francisco up until Monday afternoon about Russ Ortiz for a package of young players—the likes of Willie Harris, Jeff Liefer and a pitching prospect like Corwin Malone or Josh Stewart —but didn't make a deal."

Wow, pretty hard to turn that one down. Maybe Williams is gun shy now. I would have done that deal in a heartbeat. Harris will never do anything with the Sox, Liefer is a malcontent, and Malone and Stewart are prospects, and we know the Sox track record in developing those.

I assume that means the deal is dead.

That's amazing.

Lip

Randar68
12-17-2002, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
This is from Phil Rogers latest column on the Tribune:

"White Sox general manager Ken Williams similarly returned empty handed. He was having discussions with San Francisco up until Monday afternoon about Russ Ortiz for a package of young players—the likes of Willie Harris, Jeff Liefer and a pitching prospect like Corwin Malone or Josh Stewart —but didn't make a deal."

Wow, pretty hard to turn that one down. Maybe Williams is gun shy now. I would have done that deal in a heartbeat. Harris will never do anything with the Sox, Liefer is a malcontent, and Malone and Stewart are prospects, and we know the Sox track record in developing those.

I assume that means the deal is dead.

That's amazing.

Lip

I would be amazed if he turned that down! Stewart??? Pulease! I would do Harris and Liefer for a bench player, let alone adding a Stewart for a real #2 pitcher. what an absolute maroon.

pudge
12-17-2002, 12:35 AM
There's no way he turned that down - let's not take everything as absolute fact, please. In the quote from above, Rogers isn't even clear about what was or was not rejected.

balboner
12-17-2002, 12:38 AM
Lets just be grateful that as of now, it seems like Konerko is safe. The backlash of trading him would damage our fan support greatly.

jeremyb1
12-17-2002, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
I would be amazed if he turned that down! Stewart??? Pulease! I would do Harris and Liefer for a bench player, let alone adding a Stewart for a real #2 pitcher. what an absolute maroon.

sounds to me like we wouldn't even discuss dealing paully, they weren't interested in carlos because of his salary, and we talked about prospects but didn't offer them much so we didn't end up consumating a deal. i can't believe gammons had the audacity to report a deal as more or less done when there were simply talks about the possbility of a deal.

doublem23
12-17-2002, 01:29 AM
Oh my goodness... We're believing what Phil Rogers says now?

RichH55
12-17-2002, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Oh my goodness... We're believing what Phil Rogers says now?

Well we are taking it to burn KW with...not necessarily the case, and I dont think the deal is done yet...but hey makes for good idle chatter