PDA

View Full Version : Twins release Ortiz

Jjav829
12-16-2002, 01:24 PM
Twins release Ortiz, Pirates release Anderson (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/transactions/today.html)

Looks like we might not have to worry about Ortiz killing our pitching again.

hold2dibber
12-16-2002, 01:31 PM
What the hell are they thinking? Ortiz isn't exactly Jason Giambi, but he he's a decent hitter who is a capable DH or a great bat off the bench. Why would they just cut him loose? I can't imagine that they couldn't have at least garnered a somewhat decent prospect in trade for him. Am I missing something here?

NewyorkSoxFan
12-16-2002, 01:36 PM
That guy killed us all year, I am surprised by that. He would be a great LH DH for the sox. Then we could lose Leifer, aka "the Complaining Strike out King".

NYSF

OfficerKarkovice
12-16-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by NewyorkSoxFan
That guy killed us all year, I am surprised by that. He would be a great LH DH for the sox. Then we could lose Leifer, aka "the Complaining Strike out King".

NYSF

Yeah I'm no big fan of Ortiz, but that being said, give me him over Leifer any day. Toronto had reportedly been interested in trading for Ortiz...which makes me wonder what the hell the Twins are doing.

CHISOXFAN13
12-16-2002, 02:19 PM
This move is a bit puzzling, but the Twins obviously needed to trim some payroll. Ortiz is the odd-man out because Hunter, Jones and Guzman are going to command big money soon.

jeremyb1
12-16-2002, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
Yeah I'm no big fan of Ortiz, but that being said, give me him over Leifer any day. Toronto had reportedly been interested in trading for Ortiz...which makes me wonder what the hell the Twins are doing.

i'm guessing they couldn't move him without taking on at least some of his salary and that's why they cut him.

moochpuppy
12-16-2002, 03:08 PM
For one, Ortiz could never stay healthy.

Second, the Twins have just started talks again with Torii Hunter on a multi-year deal. Twins owner Carl Pollad has approved an increase in payroll for the 2003 season up to $50 million.

Third, with Mohr, Kielty, Cuddyear and Restovich there isn't much room for him on the roster.

Someone will pick him up to get about 400 AB with the potential of 25-30 HR's if he can stay healthy. Don't forget, in the 2001 season Ortiz blasted a 460 foot HR with a broken wrist.

RKMeibalane
12-16-2002, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
Someone will pick him up to get about 400 AB with the potential of 25-30 HR's if he can stay healthy. Don't forget, in the 2001 season Ortiz blasted a 460 foot HR with a broken wrist.

Does anyone think he would be worth going after? I would much rather have Ortiz than Jeff Liefer. OfficerKarkovice made a similar point in his post. If Ortiz can handle a reduced role, then I see no reason why he wouldn't be a good addition to this team.

Blueprint1
12-16-2002, 03:38 PM
How much does he get payed i think that adding him to the team might add some money. The way our pay looks right now if were in the hunt I think that KW will add some help at the trade deadline.

RichH55
12-16-2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
How much does he get payed i think that adding him to the team might add some money. The way our pay looks right now if were in the hunt I think that KW will add some help at the trade deadline.

He doesnt make a ton, and would be a nice addition as long as he can keep his mouth shut

NewyorkSoxFan
12-16-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
He doesnt make a ton, and would be a nice addition as long as he can keep his mouth shut

He would be an experienced left-handed stick, I don't know about his attitude or anything like that, but we put up with Choice hitting .190, let him talk if he hits 270. :smile:

NYSF

ma-gaga
12-16-2002, 04:47 PM
The Twins think they can get just as much production out of Matthew LeCroy as David Ortiz for 1/3 the cost. Plus LeCroy has a better split against lefties than Ortiz. Their 2002 OPS: 0.869 vs 0.637 (albiet, a very small sample size ~ 100 ab's)

The Twins don't want to be as vulnerable to lefties in 2003. This is a small step for them. D.Ortiz is a decent hitter, but he'll expect to make a little over $1MM this year as a DH. As a FA, he might be worth half that.

edit: Oof. I just looked at the split against righties. Ortiz BLOWS away LeCroy: OPS 0.919 vs 0.639. Ortiz had 240 ab's and LeCroy about 60, so maybe LeCroy evens out given more looks, but I think the Twins could be looking to split the DH duties depending on whether or not LeCroy can hit righties.

All I've ever heard about LeCroy is that he can hit. Not a great defensive catcher or 1st baseman, but he can mash.

duke of dorwood
12-16-2002, 05:04 PM
It would be nice to have someone who was with them, since we play 19 times. Let's see what happens with the rumored Ortiz trade.

RKMeibalane
12-16-2002, 05:09 PM
KW may be planning something, but his plan is by no means fool-proof. If he wants to trade Konerko, then he needs to find a suitable replacement for PK at first base. Thomas has said he is willing to play there more in 2003, but I don't think he's good enough to play there full time. Someone else must be accquired.

duke of dorwood
12-16-2002, 05:20 PM
I wouldn't trade an All Star for Russ Ortiz

pudge
12-16-2002, 05:58 PM
Man, two Ortiz'es, this is getting confusing... I would love the Twins' Ortiz, I thought he was one of their best hitters... Does anyone know what happens to him now that he is released - is he now a basic free agent??

As for the Giants' Ortiz... I think he's pretty solid and would love to see him in a Sox uni, but not at the price of Konerko... I think a GM has a tough job, because he must balance winning a title with putting a fun product on the field 162 times a year. I think Russ Ortiz might be more important than Konerko in a play-off series, but not over a 162 game season. Therefore, with Konerko being a fan favorite and clubhouse spark, I would prefer to keep him. After all, you can't *get* to the play-offs without doing well over the long haul first, and I think we Konerko to do well over the long haul. As for CLee, I'd trade him for Ortiz in a heartbeat, even though I think he is finally becoming a good hitter.

kermittheefrog
12-16-2002, 09:41 PM
I'd be willing to trade Konerko if we could sign Ortiz to play first.

RichH55
12-17-2002, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I'd be willing to trade Konerko if we could sign Ortiz to play first.

And get a good return on PK...Ortiz to 1B, and Ortiz to SP doesnt do it for me at that tradeoff

Ortiz^2 doesnt = Pk

Vsahajpal
12-17-2002, 05:22 AM
They needed a roster spot for their Rule 5 pick, SS Jose Morban. Oh, and there's this: "We tried to trade him," a Twins executive said. "We couldn't get a pair of spikes and a cracked bat."

RichH55
12-17-2002, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
They needed a roster spot for their Rule 5 pick, SS Jose Morban. Oh, and there's this: "We tried to trade him," a Twins executive said. "We couldn't get a pair of spikes and a cracked bat."

This means he will be snapped up in less than a week:) Hell if Royce can sign a MLB deal, then someone has a spot for Ortiz

kermittheefrog
12-17-2002, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal

Teams probably knew he would be freely available soon plus the Twins probably wanted someone who wouldn't have to be on the 40 man roster.

RichH55
12-17-2002, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Teams probably knew he would be freely available soon plus the Twins probably wanted someone who wouldn't have to be on the 40 man roster.

Guys like Liefer and Ortiz are inherently replaceable

hold2dibber
12-17-2002, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
Guys like Liefer and Ortiz are inherently replaceable

Ortiz has shown a hell of a lot more than Liefer

moochpuppy
12-17-2002, 12:29 PM
Twins release Ortiz, pick shortstop in Rule V draft
La Velle E. Neal III
Star Tribune

Published Dec. 17, 2002

NASHVILLE -- The Twins were unable to find a team to deal David Ortiz to, so they created their own swap.

The club released last season's regular designated hitter on Monday and used the space on their 40-man roster to select minor league shortstop Jose Morban in the Rule V draft.

The release ended the Twins' six-year relationship with the lefthanded-hitting Ortiz, whom they had hoped would develop into a bona fide power hitter. Ortiz, 27, batted .272 last season with 20 homers and 75 RBI. But he hit only .203 against lefthanded pitchers and .240 with runners in scoring position. He also landed on the disabled list for the second consecutive season.

"This is not exactly an easy thing to do," Twins General Manager Terry Ryan said on the last day of baseball's winter meetings. "I like David personally. I liked some of the things he does with the bat. And everyone likes him."

Ortiz, however, is a subpar defensive first baseman, which virtually limited him to the DH role. His clubhouse presence and humor made him popular with teammates, but the Twins needed to improve their DH production and .252 team average against lefthanded pitchers.

Matthew LeCroy and Michael Cuddyer -- both righthanded power hitters -- and switch hitter Bobby Kielty are likely to get most of the playing time at DH.

"He's one of our favorites in the clubhouse," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said of Ortiz, "but we are trying to move forward here. We've been talking about facing lefty pitching, and this works out for our organization a little better."

In an interview earlier this month, Ortiz said he had been told by scouts from other teams he could be in a different uniform next season.

"I know at the end of the season that they decided they wanted to give a chance to LeCroy," said Ortiz, currently playing first base for Escogido of the Dominican winter league. ". . . If I end up with a team where I can play first base, that would be even better. Because all of my injuries, they started coming to me when I started DH-ing. I never got hurt when I played in the field every day."

The Twins shopped Ortiz in the second half of last season and resumed their efforts following the general managers meetings last month. Ryan said he got close to dealing Ortiz on a couple of occasions, but those scenarios did not pan out.

Ortiz is arbitration-eligible for the first time, and the evolving financial structure in baseball also came into play. Teams have until Friday to offer contracts to their unsigned players. Ortiz made $950,000 last season and was expected to get close to $2 million next season through arbitration. That's a little rich for a club whose payroll already is headed over $50 million.

"There were some people who had some interest in David," Ryan said. "And people were also waiting to see if we were not going to tender [a contract to] him."

Instead of non-tendering him, the club decided to drop Ortiz and pick up a middle infielder in the Rule V draft. "We ended up trading Ortiz for Morban," Ryan said.

Ortiz must pass through release waivers before becoming a free agent.

"I wish I could have been able to deal him," Ryan said. "It would not surprise me if he was claimed by someone. He's the type of guy that, when he steps in the batter's box, has a chance to hit the ball out."

Ortiz's offseason plan was to prove that he could play defense as well as drive the ball. He will have to do it in a different uniform.

"I always tried to be a good teammate," Ortiz said earlier this month. "To me, that counts a lot."

-- Staff Writer Jim Souhan contributed to this report. -- La Velle E. Neal III is at lneal@startribune.com.

LaVelle E. Neal III is a Sox fan and has mentioned this site a couple times in his articles. I believe he is a member of this board but not sure who.

Daver
12-17-2002, 05:41 PM
LaVelle E. Neal III is a Sox fan and has mentioned this site a couple times in his articles. I believe he is a member of this board but not sure who.

Mooch,please do not post entire articles,we can get in trouble for that.

moochpuppy
12-18-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by daver
Mooch,please do not post entire articles,we can get in trouble for that.

I didn't.

lostinlife28
12-18-2002, 05:01 PM
The reason that the Twins cut him is because of The Rule 5 Draft. Their 40 man roster was full. You can't draft a rule 5 if you don't have room to keep him on your ML roster

Daver
12-18-2002, 06:22 PM
I didn't.

Ok,it was a pretty long quote then.

:redneck

RichH55
12-18-2002, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by lostinlife28
The reason that the Twins cut him is because of The Rule 5 Draft. Their 40 man roster was full. You can't draft a rule 5 if you don't have room to keep him on your ML roster

Hes inheriently(sic) replaceable