PDA

View Full Version : rosenthal reiterates alomar rumor


jeremyb1
12-15-2002, 08:47 PM
The White Sox want to bring back free-agent catcher Sandy Alomar to mentor rookie Miguel Olivo and figure to sign him if he's unable to land significant playing time with another club.

as i've said before i think that if the primary area in which olivo needs help is game calling there are numerous catchers better equiped for this job than alomar, kreuter for one. however, if this is what it takes to assure josh paul isn't on the roster, so be it.

kermittheefrog
12-15-2002, 08:57 PM
We can't bring in a coach or something that can teach Olivo about catching? It's a waste of a roster spot to give Alomar that role. Can't Bruce Kimm, a former catcher, help Olivo along? If he can't, couldn't the spot on the coaching staff gven to him have been used on a guy who can help Olivo? This organization pisses me off.

OfficerKarkovice
12-15-2002, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
We can't bring in a coach or something that can teach Olivo about catching? It's a waste of a roster spot to give Alomar that role. Couldn't the spot on the coaching staff gven to Bruce Kimm have been used on a guy who can help Olivo? This organization pisses me off.

I don't know about you but I sure as hell don't want to go into opening day with Olivo and Josh Paul as our two catchers

kermittheefrog
12-15-2002, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
I don't know about you but I sure as hell don't want to go into opening day with Olivo and Josh Paul as our two catchers

They're both better than Sandy Alomar.

Daver
12-15-2002, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
They're both better than Sandy Alomar.

Kermit.Josh Paul can't catch a cold,and you know it.

kermittheefrog
12-15-2002, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by daver
Kermit.Josh Paul can't catch a cold,and you know it.

I know it but Alomar is 37 and finished last year slugging .302 in 38 games at Coors field. Thats sub-Clayton hitting and if you think he's any better than that on D you're kidding yourself. I'd like someone other than Josh Paul backing up Miguel Olivo but Alomar isn't the answer. If they want the guy around they should make him a coach.

duke of dorwood
12-15-2002, 09:32 PM
Alomar is Jake Taylor. If this is the route we are taking, bring in Joe Girardi. At least his knees are better.

OfficerKarkovice
12-15-2002, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I know it but Alomar is 37 and finished last year slugging .302 in 38 games at Coors field. Thats sub-Clayton hitting and if you think he's any better than that on D you're kidding yourself. I'd like someone other than Josh Paul backing up Miguel Olivo but Alomar isn't the answer. If they want the guy around they should make him a coach.

Yeah I agree completely with that. I don't think Alomar can help us out at all as far as playing goes. We really just need to find a vet to go along with Olivo. I think Girardi, even though he can't hit, would be an OK pick up.

HITMEN OF 77
12-15-2002, 09:59 PM
We should have kept C Johnson a few years back, now look what we have. I wouldn't bring Alomar back. His dad had better days with the Sox than him!

jeremyb1
12-15-2002, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Alomar is Jake Taylor. If this is the route we are taking, bring in Joe Girardi. At least his knees are better.

yeah. i can't fathom any way in which almoar is better than the other options we've already discussed. he was never an excellent catcher, he was just a good hitter who happened to play catcher. i'd rather have him than josh paul but that's about it.

OfficerKarkovice
12-15-2002, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
We should have kept C Johnson a few years back, now look what we have. I wouldn't bring Alomar back. His dad had better days with the Sox than him!

I don't think we should bring Sandy back either...but just for the record CJ has been pretty average (not to mention injured) since he left.

kermittheefrog
12-15-2002, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
We should have kept C Johnson a few years back, now look what we have. I wouldn't bring Alomar back. His dad had better days with the Sox than him!

Charles Johnson hit .217 last year and made 7 million for that. I am pretty glad we didn't keep him.

Lip Man 1
12-15-2002, 10:01 PM
Charles Johnson was represented by Scott Boras.

The White Sox do not deal with Boras even though every other team seems to be able to.

Guess it's a personal thing between Uncle Jerry and him.

Lip

Tragg
12-15-2002, 10:55 PM
Why in the world would we want Alomar?
As an aside, why in the world did Colorado trade for Alomar?

MarkEdward
12-15-2002, 11:07 PM
Tom Lampkin is still available...

RichH55
12-16-2002, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Charles Johnson was represented by Scott Boras.

The White Sox do not deal with Boras even though every other team seems to be able to.

Guess it's a personal thing between Uncle Jerry and him.

Lip


And this time it worked out for us, right Lip?

NewyorkSoxFan
12-16-2002, 07:42 AM
I think we should consider Girardi, he is a smart catcher who still can play, and he can teach Olivo as well. I can't handle another year of him locking his knee up as he rounds first base after a home run.

Let this guy retire PLEASE!!!!


NYSF

RichH55
12-16-2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by NewyorkSoxFan
I think we should consider Girardi, he is a smart catcher who still can play, and he can teach Olivo as well. I can't handle another year of him locking his knee up as he rounds first base after a home run.

Let this guy retire PLEASE!!!!


NYSF


I sticking with my opinion that either Joe or Sandy works for me...I think I would rather have Joe, but you won't hear me getting on KW for either

Bobby Thigpen
12-16-2002, 03:01 PM
As I said in an earlier post, the Sox would be better off signing just about anyone on the planet other than Sandy Alomar Jr. He quite simply is terrible as a catcher, hitter, runner, teacher, etc. If Alomar is such a great handler of a staff, why did the Sox pitchers improve AFTER Alomar was traded? I agree that Girardi is a better option, but I would rather see Lampkin. He's pretty good. But most of all, PLEASE DO NOT BRING BACK ALOMAR.