PDA

View Full Version : BA's rule 5 draft preveiw


Daver
12-15-2002, 03:23 PM
The White have two players eligible,pitchers Jason Stumm and Kyle Kane. (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/rule5preview02.html)

Champ Summers
12-15-2002, 03:34 PM
there are a lot more eligible, those two happen to be the most intriguing...stumm is available which brings a tear to my eye, i saw him throw at a high school game at Centralia, holy geez that kid threw smoke, i was so happy when the sox drafted him 15th overall in '99, he looks to be one of the first people taken if no one is scared by his injuries...the good thing is, there are not a lot of teams who have room on the 25 man roster for someone who hasn't pitched a full season, let alone made it out of A ball...i still believe...kane is also intriguing, but a lot older...i think he is more likely to be picked because he has had success in the high minors, but also has been hurt...two RHP capable of throwing mid to high 90s up for grabs, i'm keeping my fingers crossed...

HawkDJ
12-15-2002, 04:33 PM
Frankie Francisco who we got in one of those many trades at the end of last year is eligable too.

spanishwhite
12-15-2002, 05:14 PM
Im still in shock over this. Stumm? The guy made a very good
comeback. 45 K/40 IN 4/1 K/BB 2.25 ERA while not coming back completely healthy. Of all the potential draft picks in the draft, I would rather have Stumm. This is very disappointing. Whoever gets him gets the steal of the draft. I would rather see anyone we picked up through trades this summer go over him.

Daver
12-15-2002, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by spanishwhite
Im still in shock over this. Stumm? The guy made a very good
comeback. 45 K/40 IN 4/1 K/BB 2.25 ERA while not coming back completely healthy. Of all the potential draft picks in the draft, I would rather have Stumm. This is very disappointing. Whoever gets him gets the steal of the draft. I would rather see anyone we picked up through trades this summer go over him.

I'm hoping that no one takes him because of his recent arm problems,but there are some teams out there that would not have a problem putting him on the 25 man roster and sparingly use him,the Devil Dogs leap immdediatley to mind..........

kermittheefrog
12-15-2002, 08:32 PM
I think this is a great example of why it's a dumb move to make a high school pitcher a first round pick 95% of the time.

jeremyb1
12-15-2002, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
Frankie Francisco who we got in one of those many trades at the end of last year is eligable too.

i also believe majewski is elligible.

RichH55
12-16-2002, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i also believe majewski is elligible.

I hope not...because if he goes elsewhere, he is eventually coming back...alot of talent out there for the Rule 5 it seems

jeremyb1
12-16-2002, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
I hope not...because if he goes elsewhere, he is eventually coming back...alot of talent out there for the Rule 5 it seems

i think majewski might be a pretty good rule five pickup for someone. he already has a season of AA under his belt so its not like he's really raw and he put up good numbers in both AA and the fall league. if i had a roster spot available and i was a gm i'd take a stab at him. while someone like stumm has much more upside they're much less prepared to pitch and you'd have to stick them at the back of the pen and only use them in very low pressure situations.

kermittheefrog
12-16-2002, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i think majewski might be a pretty good rule five pickup for someone. he already has a season of AA under his belt so its not like he's really raw and he put up good numbers in both AA and the fall league. if i had a roster spot available and i was a gm i'd take a stab at him. while someone like stumm has much more upside they're much less prepared to pitch and you'd have to stick them at the back of the pen and only use them in very low pressure situations.

I agree. With a full year of AA under his belt where he performed well he makes himself look good. I don't know what scouts think of Majewski now but I know a couple years ago he was supposed to go places. I think it would be a shame to lose Majewski or Kane. It's fairly stupid that Mike Porzio and Jason Dallearo are on our 40 man roster over Kane, Majewski and Stumm.

jeremyb1
12-16-2002, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I think it would be a shame to lose Majewski or Kane. It's fairly stupid that Mike Porzio and Jason Dallearo are on our 40 man roster over Kane, Majewski and Stumm.

i agree. i feel like at a minimum majewski should be there over porzio. why do we need porzio? we're already carrying two lefties in wunsch and marte. we certainly don't need three and i'd think due to their age sanders and munoz would have the inside track over porzio. i'd trade him if we can get anything and if not cut him loose. it seems unlikely he'll make the team and he's 30.

RichH55
12-16-2002, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i agree. i feel like at a minimum majewski should be there over porzio. why do we need porzio? we're already carrying two lefties in wunsch and marte. we certainly don't need three and i'd think due to their age sanders and munoz would have the inside track over porzio. i'd trade him if we can get anything and if not cut him loose. it seems unlikely he'll make the team and he's 30.

Agreed.....we will have to see if KW gets away with it...IIRC there arent a ton of guys chosen via Rule 5

RichH55
12-16-2002, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I agree. With a full year of AA under his belt where he performed well he makes himself look good. I don't know what scouts think of Majewski now but I know a couple years ago he was supposed to go places. I think it would be a shame to lose Majewski or Kane. It's fairly stupid that Mike Porzio and Jason Dallearo are on our 40 man roster over Kane, Majewski and Stumm.


Jason Dallearo?