PDA

View Full Version : ortiz

jeremyb1
12-15-2002, 01:03 AM
from the ap:

If Kent signs, even for just $4 million in 2003, the Giants would then have payroll issues. So their next move would be to deal a starting pitcher -- almost certainly Russ Ortiz -- for young players.

The Giants are known to have talked to a number of teams about Ortiz, including the Blue Jays, A's, Phillies, White Sox and Cardinals. But they're not expected to deal him to either Toronto or Oakland, because it's possible those teams would then send Ortiz to one of their biggest division rivals, the Diamondbacks.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stark_jayson/1477137.html

RichH55
12-15-2002, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
from the ap:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stark_jayson/1477137.html

Well we are definately a team that shoud be on that list...what is Ortiz's contract situation

NewyorkSoxFan
12-15-2002, 07:18 AM
The Latest rumor on the Sox desire for a frontline pitcher has surfaced.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/showcase/cs-021214sox,0,1851390.story?coll=cs%2Dhome%2Dheadlin es

OEO Magglio
12-15-2002, 01:15 PM
On ESPN Rumor central it says if the Cardinals sign Chuck Finley(which they probably will) then they will be out of the running for Russ Ortiz, so maybe the Sox have a good change at getting Ortiz, I sure hope so.

hold2dibber
12-15-2002, 02:10 PM
Ortiz would be a nice pick up, but as always, the question is, "At what price?" I don't think I'd deal Lee or PK for him. If it is truly youngsters that the Giants would be after, maybe the Sox could package Biddle, Webster and Munoz, or something like that. But I would be very leery of trading one of our every day players for him.

MisterB
12-15-2002, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Well we are definately a team that shoud be on that list...what is Ortiz's contract situation

Ortiz is guaranteed $4.4M for '03 and has a team option for $5.7M in '04 or else a $300,000 buyout. He also has bonuses (amount undisclosed) for throwing 195+ ip.

bc2k
12-15-2002, 04:48 PM
From the same article, "The Giants are shopping Ortiz so they can clear salary space to bring back Jeff Kent."

We get our #2 and stop the Cubs from getting Kent. Cool.

"This figures to be the final season in a Sox uniform for Frank Thomas, no matter how well he performs. Sources said it's unlikely the Sox will pick up Thomas' option, meaning they'll save more than $35 million."

I didn't know it was possible for the Sox to dump Thomas after 2003. I thought Thomas has an option of his own he could invoke to stay with the Sox. What am I missing?

duke of dorwood
12-15-2002, 06:26 PM
"This figures to be the final season in a Sox uniform for Frank Thomas, no matter how well he performs. Sources said it's unlikely the Sox will pick up Thomas' option, meaning they'll save more than $35 million."

:reinsy

Save 35 million?

I think I'm aroused

WhiteSox = Life
12-15-2002, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by bc2k

I didn't know it was possible for the Sox to dump Thomas after 2003. I thought Thomas has an option of his own he could invoke to stay with the Sox. What am I missing?

I don't know either, as I'm confused over the exact terms of the deal, but my main question is, if the above quote is correct, why in the world did Thomas and Tellem agree to such a deal? If no team picks him up for 2004, then he's short $35 million and teamless. I just don't get why they'd go along with that, once again, if the quote is, in fact, accurate. The terms of the contract are strange to begin with and Tellem said the contract reads like IRS forms or something comparable to that.

But, that, ladies and gentleman, is truly the Chicago White Sox organization.

Daver
12-15-2002, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
I don't know either, as I'm confused over the exact terms of the deal, but my main question is, if the above quote is correct, why in the world did Thomas and Tellem agree to such a deal? If no team picks him up for 2004, then he's short $35 million and teamless. I just don't get why they'd go along with that, once again, if the quote is, in fact, accurate. The terms of the contract are strange to begin with and Tellem said the contract reads like IRS forms or something comparable to that.

But, that, ladies and gentleman, is truly the Chicago White Sox organization.

The writer was trying to make the point that if Frank has a monster year he can depart without the team being able to excercise their option,he neglected to notice that Frank has an option to stay by assuming Frank would take more money elsewhere.

OEO Magglio
12-15-2002, 10:46 PM
Now that the Giants signed Alfonso, and tonight will probably sign Kent, I believe Ortiz will be traded tomorrow, it makes all the sense in the world to me that he would becoming to the south side, it's logical that we could get him, but the one problem is, we're the White Sox, so we wont.

jeremyb1
12-15-2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
Now that the Giants signed Alfonso, and tonight will probably sign Kent, I believe Ortiz will be traded tomorrow, it makes all the sense in the world to me that he would becoming to the south side, it's logical that we could get him, but the one problem is, we're the White Sox, so we wont.

ortiz is two years younger than colon, has longer left on his contract, is cheaper than colon, and doesn't figure to cost as much in terms of salary in the future or in terms of talent we'd have to give up to acquire him so i'd take him over colon i think. however, i'm not convinced he's a great pitcher. he's had an era under 4 in three of the last four seasons which is good but his numbers would probably go up in the al and more importantly he allows a ton of baserunners. throughout his career ortiz has allowed a walk ever two innings and that's playing with fire.