Viva Magglio
12-14-2002, 11:52 PM
Is is real?

OEO Magglio
12-14-2002, 11:58 PM
I want to believe this so much, but I just can't

voodoochile
12-15-2002, 12:05 AM
I don't deny that something similar has been discussed, but I don't think anything is imminent and thus I voted "nay"...

WinningUgly!
12-15-2002, 12:17 AM
No way this deal happens...God I hope I'm wrong!

Viva Magglio
12-15-2002, 12:18 AM
If you are the one who voted "Yea," and we're not condemning you if you did, please explain why you voted the way you did.

I think a lot of us would like to see this trade happen, but the optimism is not there. You, as the "Yea" voter, must have seen differently.

hose
12-15-2002, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Is is real?

I voted no because the trade sounds to good to be true.

It takes a CPA with a law degree to figure out baseball trades in todays market.

nut_stock
12-15-2002, 01:54 AM
Well I'll admit to being the third one to vote yes. I think (pure opinion based on no facts what-so ever) that Kenny made that offer, but I would be a bit suprised if it actually goes through.

cwsox
12-15-2002, 03:23 AM
yes, the trade will happen

Chisoxfn
12-15-2002, 03:49 AM
I haven't voted, but I think Kenny has made an offer. What that offer is, I don't know, no one knows but the staffs.

They have been talking for a month now, so players names have definately been mentioned. From what I've read they still haven't sat down and discussed things yet, but they plan too, so we'll see.

Do I think the deal makes sense, yes? Why

Well look at this so called Johnson and Rivera deal.

Is lee similar to Rivera - Yes. Rivera is younger, but Lee still has a ton of potential and has proved a good amount at the major league level. Then you take Garland and well, a stud pitching prospect whose shown some stuff at the majors is much better then a first base prospect, no matter how good he is. You can find first baseman anywhere. Heck, the Cubs got Karros and he can put up solid numbers. Johnson has some potential, but I think he's been way hyped.

So Basically, I'm saying that Lee and Garland is arguably better then the so called favored deal of Rivera and Johnson. Also, if anyone wants to tell me that El Duque is a difference maker, then let me just say this, El Duque is just salary the Expos don't want, imo. Of course, do they want Lee's salary, problably not, but he's got value, something El Duque doesn't have.

Next, lets look at this whole Vidro thing. This is the one that doesn't make sense, but they were willing to make a Vidro for Bobby Hill swap. How much worse of a prospect is Harris? I don't think he's that much worse, plus in this deal the Expos get rid of Barret and pick up a cheap catcher in Josh Paul(Supposedly) and then another prospect as well.

So from what I can see, the packages seem rather reasonable compared to other rumored deals out their. Whether it means its going to happen, who knows. JR still has to approve to increase salary cause we'd be adding like 10 million(I haven't tallied anything up).

voodoochile
12-15-2002, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by cwsox
yes, the trade will happen

Welcome aboard. I really hope you are correct...

harwar
12-15-2002, 08:44 AM
I believe this falls under the "nothing ever goes right " department.

dougs78
12-15-2002, 09:19 AM
I think the clear answer to this question is an emphatic "NO."

I have a couple reasons for this:

1. I don't know the exact salaries, but it seems as though this would trim more than 15 million off the Expo's salaries.

2. Also, the speculation has been that Barrett is sure to go this offseason, but beyond that I've heard that ONE of the Colon/Vazquez/Vidro combo would have to go. I'm not sure they'd go so far as to trade away TWO of those guys. (especially without moving Tatis)

3. Finally and most importantly, this deal seems to be pure fiction since all these players mentioned are on the 40 man roster. I know there is this talk of a 5th player, but seriously, what are the odds that Minaya would want Paul and Harris over all of the young pitching and other players we have in the minors?? This deal reeks of an adolescent male with only minimal knowledge of the expo and sox systems.

Paulwny
12-15-2002, 10:31 AM
Here's my reasons for doubting the rumor.

1) Did the guy post the radio station he heard this on? If not, why not? It would have given some legitamacy to his post. Most of us usually do this.

2) Where exactly was he when he was listening to this station, Or was he listening on the net? I'm probably closest to Montreal then most , and I'm only able to pick-up 1 station out of Montreal, although I've never done a study to see how many I could pick-up.

3) Someone posted in the other thread that the guy's English was bad. I'm assuming he means that his written post was in bad English. The vast majority of French Canadians are proficient in both languages. They may speak English with an accent but I don't believe that their written English would be bad; especially if this guy is a college student.

But then again only this guy knows or is that pronounced Ghee?

HawkDJ
12-15-2002, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by dougs78
[B]I think the clear answer to this question is an emphatic "NO."

I have a couple reasons for this:

1. I don't know the exact salaries, but it seems as though this would trim more than 15 million off the Expo's salaries.

Actually the article said it would be $8 million which would be reasonable for the Expos considering they need to trim $10 million.

guillen4life13
12-15-2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by dougs78
This deal reeks of an adolescent male with only minimal knowledge of the expo and sox systems.

Aw man, you're killing me!

In all fairness though, this deal has almost no chance of happening. I understand, and come close to agreeing (as dougs78 said... adolescent with minimal knowledge of Sox system) with what Chisoxfn said, but I honestly don't know how good Bobby Hill is, and I don't think we saw enough of Harris to be able to judge his talent. Randar probably has the best idea of the fairness of the trade, and how it fits the Expos and Sox needs.

idseer
12-15-2002, 12:09 PM
i say nay also. however i DO believe A deal will be done with the expos before all is said and done. KW has been in contact with them probably longer than anyone and 'supposedly' feels that before they do anything they will talk with him and give him a chance to work some kind of deal. what that would turn out to be is anyone's guess.

guillen4life13
12-15-2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by idseer
i say nay also. however i DO believe A deal will be done with the expos before all is said and done. KW has been in contact with them probably longer than anyone and 'supposedly' feels that before they do anything they will talk with him and give him a chance to work some kind of deal. what that would turn out to be is anyone's guess.

Hopefully Minaya will talk to KW first because KW has been like a tail on him for so long, and not because he knows that KW's stupidity is easily manipulated.

WhiteSoxWinner
12-15-2002, 02:43 PM
I, as a yea voter, am not convinced it will happen, but there is something to be said for optimism. No logical reason other than hope.