PDA

View Full Version : Jose Contreras

hose
12-14-2002, 05:29 AM
Do the White Sox have any chance in signing this free agent?

It would be nice to hold onto all our young prospects, ie. Honel, Brouchard, Olivo to name a few, and still get starting pitching help.

The Sox will win the Central with the team they have right now, adding Contreras could be the difference in the playoffs.

Vsahajpal
12-14-2002, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by hose

It would be nice to hold onto all our young prospects, ie. Honel, Brouchard, Olivo to name a few, and still get starting pitching help.

The Sox will win the Central with the team they have right now, adding Contreras could be the difference in the playoffs.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1213/1476599.html

OneDog
12-14-2002, 08:32 AM

WHOA! Let's not get ahead of ourselves. We thought the same thing in 2001 and 2002. Guarded optimisim is the way to go.

cornball
12-14-2002, 02:23 PM
I agree he would make a nice addition, if he was truly available. I heard if he did become a free agent he would be a Bosox, they have been all over him.

Seems the best way to improve pitching without depleting the farm is through free agency for this team right now. I would love for the sox to have a chance to get someone like him with minimial personell loss.

doctor30th
12-14-2002, 02:41 PM
Last time I checked Contreras free agency was rejected, so I believe there is no way to sign him.

cornball
12-14-2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by doctor30th
Last time I checked Contreras free agency was rejected, so I believe there is no way to sign him.

Your right, the link is above.....it was only if he was free.

RichH55
12-15-2002, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by cornball
Your right, the link is above.....it was only if he was free.

He is close to being draftable though, right?

hose
12-15-2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
He is close to being draftable though, right?

What I read was that Contreras has to clear up his residency before negoitiations can begin .

How hard is it for a Cuban to get residency in this country?

Paulwny
12-15-2002, 06:40 PM
What I read was that Contreras has to clear up his residency before negoitiations can begin .

How hard is it for a Cuban to get residency in this country?

Contreras and his agent were looking for residency/citizenship in a country were he could be a free agent and not part of the mlb draft. His move was rejected by mlb and it now appears he'll be part of the mlb draft.

hose
12-15-2002, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Contreras and his agent were looking for residency/citizenship in a country were he could be a free agent and not part of the mlb draft. His move was rejected by mlb and it now appears he'll be part of the mlb draft.

I see, that clears it up , thanks

hose
12-18-2002, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

Jose Contreras has been declared a free agent by the commissioner's office today.

Let the bidding begin

Jjav829
12-18-2002, 09:35 PM
Jose Contreras has been declared a free agent by the commissioner's office today.

Let the bidding begin

Well Im sure the White Sox won't be contenders. However, the Yankees and Red Sox will both be, so maybe we can hope that this draws their attention away from the Expos, and KW can sneak in and make a deal with Minaya. Just trying to find some positives...

Paulwny
12-19-2002, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Well Im sure the White Sox won't be contenders. However, the Yankees and Red Sox will both be, so maybe we can hope that this draws their attention away from the Expos, and KW can sneak in and make a deal with Minaya. Just trying to find some positives...

You're right, probably out of JR's price range.

From the Boston Globe:
For both the Yankees and Red Sox, Contreras could come much cheaper than Colon - educated speculation says Contreras will command somewhere in the vicinity of $24 million to $28 million for four years - and won't cost them existing talent.

Iguana775
12-19-2002, 10:47 AM
thats a lot for a guy that hasnt pitched a game in MLB.