PDA

View Full Version : Vina?

OneDog
12-13-2002, 07:20 PM
Peter Gammons just said on ESPN that the Cardinals are looking to move Fernando Vina. Gold Glove Second Baseman and a good leadoff man. Anyone care to see him on the South Side?

Daver
12-13-2002, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by OneDog
Peter Gammons just said on ESPN that the Cardinals are looking to move Fernando Vina. Gold Glove Second Baseman and a good leadoff man. Anyone care to see him on the South Side?

Two points,

1.Never trust a thing :boston says

2.the Sox have 4 second basemen going to Arizona next year,they need pitching,not position.

idseer
12-13-2002, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by daver
Two points,

2.the Sox have 4 second basemen going to Arizona next year,they need pitching,not position.

and he'll be 35!

Bobby Thigpen
12-13-2002, 07:27 PM
I'd love to see Vina with the Sox. He's a dirty little player who does all the little things that it takes to win. While I also think we need some pitching, I wouldn't mind a deal to bring him here.

OneDog
12-13-2002, 09:02 PM
Two points,

Point well taken. But I'm not sold on Jimenez/Harris/Graff/Hummel. And the Sox haven't had a good leadoff man since...um...well...uh...One Dog :D: :gulp: .

But seriously, I'm not sure I want Vina either especially if it comes at the cost of our pursuit of pitching. But it is, nevertheless, intriguing.

RichH55
12-13-2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
I'd love to see Vina with the Sox. He's a dirty little player who does all the little things that it takes to win. While I also think we need some pitching, I wouldn't mind a deal to bring him here.

If the Sox get Vina I bet the Moron is salivating

:moron
The white sox got Fernanido Vina today. He as you remember was the player visciously run over by Albert Belle, a microcosm of the JR Ballmall expierence.....3 more paragraphs about Belle being the anti-christ....then Vina could help the sox, time will tell

Viva Magglio
12-13-2002, 10:05 PM
As nice as it would be to have Fernándo Viña, what he would bring to the table is not our must pressing needs. Viña would help, but we need starting pitching more than second base/leadoff help.

chisox06
12-13-2002, 10:21 PM
Only if he would be used somehow in a trade. Im surea guy like Vina is atheltic enough to play 3rd or 2nd, then we could trade a guy like Crede in some kind of trade for some good pitching and maybe a cathcer. Not that I like the idea but just a thought.

Daver
12-13-2002, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by chisox06
Only if he would be used somehow in a trade. Im surea guy like Vina is atheltic enough to play 3rd or 2nd, then we could trade a guy like Crede in some kind of trade for some good pitching and maybe a cathcer. Not that I like the idea but just a thought.

Chisox,can you resize your sig pic to about half? If not let me know and I will do it for you.

And none of those guys have the nads to race with the big boys.

:redneck

chisox06
12-13-2002, 11:22 PM
Chisox,can you resize your sig pic to about half? If not let me know and I will do it for you.

And none of those guys have the nads to race with the big boys.

:redneck

If you could resize it, that would be great. 230 mph, wheel to wheel, you wanna talk about nads, nothing like those restrictor plates! Oh yea and lets not forget about carbeurators (doesnt my lawn mower have one of those??), NECKCAR, racing WWF stlye.

duke of dorwood
12-13-2002, 11:26 PM
Not needed

Daver
12-13-2002, 11:27 PM
If you could resize it, that would be great. 230 mph, wheel to wheel, you wanna talk about nads, nothing like those restrictor plates! Oh yea and lets not forget about carbeurators (doesnt my lawn mower have one of those??), NECKCAR, racing WWF stlye.

I'll take care of the sig,when you are ready to show your nads I'll let you drive my late model stock car in competition,when you get really brave I'll let you drive my drag car.

:)

cornball
12-14-2002, 12:03 AM
Two points,

Vina is not the answer IMO but we do have 4 seond basemen coming to camp, one should be the shortstop, one is a back up utility player and the other two are not ready, and may never be. The Sox lack speed and defense up the middle to support their inexperienced staff. The Twins and Angels are a great example of this.

bc2k
12-14-2002, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by ¡Viva Mágglio!
As nice as it would be to have Fernándo Viña, what he would bring to the table is not our must pressing needs. Viña would help, but we need starting pitching more than second base/leadoff help.

How do you add the different accent marks over the "a" and "n" in Magglio Ordonez?

Soxheads
12-14-2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
How do you add the different accent marks over the "a" and "n" in Magglio Ordonez?

If you have a Mac, you can use the option key, but you probably don't.

RedPinStripes
12-14-2002, 12:13 PM

What the hell is with all this "trade Crede" ****? We all cried for Ventura ever since he left. Crede might not be Ventura, but he's the closest thing we're going to get for a long term true 3rd baseman. I wouldnt mind if we were stock piled with 3rd baseman, but our options are valentine, graffy, and Jiminez. Does Jiminez even know what position he plays?

Jjav829
12-14-2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
What the hell is with all this "trade Crede" ****? We all cried for Ventura ever since he left. Crede might not be Ventura, but he's the closest thing we're going to get for a long term true 3rd baseman. I wouldnt mind if we were stock piled with 3rd baseman, but our options are valentine, graffy, and Jiminez. Does Jiminez even know what position he plays?

Agreed. We don't have other options. We have a good young 3B who is our future. Theres no need to trade him. Our other options are all B-A-D.

I wouldn't mind Vina, depending on at what price he would come, but I think we might just be better off going with one of the young guys.

Ol Aches & Pains
12-14-2002, 01:58 PM
Two points,

None of whom is anywhere near the player Vina is, one of whom is Tony Graffanino, for Chrissakes. The Sox don't have a proven leadoff man, a role Vina would fill nicely. If they don't get Vina, I'd settle for Jose Vidro, whom they are actively pursuing, if today's Sun Times can be believed.

OneDog
12-14-2002, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Ol Aches & Pains
None of whom is anywhere near the player Vina is, one of whom is Tony Graffanino, for Chrissakes. The Sox don't have a proven leadoff man, a role Vina would fill nicely. If they don't get Vina, I'd settle for Jose Vidro, whom they are actively pursuing, if today's Sun Times can be believed.

Vidro isn't really a leadoff man. He's more of a younger better version of Manos. A two or six hitter with some pop.

RedPinStripes
12-14-2002, 02:59 PM
Vidro would be a real nice pickup.

OneDog
12-14-2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Vidro would be a real nice pickup.

I agree, all I'm saying is that he's not really a leadoff man.

Ol Aches & Pains
12-14-2002, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by OneDog
I agree, all I'm saying is that he's not really a leadoff man.

And I agree Vidro's not a leadoff man, but he'd be a improvement over Willie Harris, or Tony Graffanino on one freakin' leg.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-14-2002, 08:17 PM
The Sox aren't going anywhere without at least three of these four holes being filled:

1. Starting pitcher(s)
2. Centerfielder
3. Lead-off man
4. Catcher

I like Vina as a player, but I'm not sure he fits without a few additional moves, too.

:manos
"Hey, if Milwaukee didn't want him, he can't be half bad!"

:hitless
"As for what Milwaukee DOES want, I'm Exhibit A for their stupidity."

:jaime
"Hey, I'm Exhibit A!"

RichH55
12-15-2002, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
The Sox aren't going anywhere without at least three of these four holes being filled:

1. Starting pitcher(s)
2. Centerfielder
3. Lead-off man
4. Catcher

I like Vina as a player, but I'm not sure he fits without a few additional moves, too.

:manos
"Hey, if Milwaukee didn't want him, he can't be half bad!"

:hitless
"As for what Milwaukee DOES want, I'm Exhibit A for their stupidity."

:jaime
"Hey, I'm Exhibit A!"

Im not so sure that lead-off hitter isnt being taken care of in-house

PaleHoseGeorge
12-15-2002, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Im not so sure that lead-off hitter isnt being taken care of in-house

You're probably right. I can see KW giving the job full-time to Jimenez. He'll skip "Plan A" and go straight to "Plan B" filling the lead-off hole.

Maybe it will work out. After failing to trade Garland for Erstad, last year's "Plan B" was signing Lofton to a bunch of attendance bonus clauses. Look how that one turned out.

:lofton
"Man, I was a chump!"

:ohno
"Yeah, but you weren't the only chump..."