PDA

View Full Version : Alomar Returning?

joecrede
12-13-2002, 05:34 PM
Bruce Levine reported that the Sox have talked to Alomar about returning to back up Olivio (or Paul). Alomar is in the process of deciding. Ugh.

Daver
12-13-2002, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
Bruce Levine reported that the Sox have talked to Alomar about returning to back up Olivio (or Paul). Alomar is in the process of deciding. Ugh.

If they sign Alomar again you can consider Josh Paul your starting catcher.Yippee!!

We get a choice between no knees and no talent.

RichH55
12-13-2002, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by daver
If they sign Alomar again you can consider Josh Paul your starting catcher.Yippee!!

We get a choice between no knees and no talent.

AS a backup catcher Alomar should work fine....I think the fact that they are wanting to bring him back means they thought he was a good influence of the club

RichH55
12-13-2002, 05:49 PM

I pitched this idea about a month ago...we need a veteran backup catcher, we have ties to Alomar...there ya go

joecrede
12-13-2002, 05:50 PM

I have no doubt they consider Olivio the starter, I'd prefer a left-handed hitter as the back up.

Daver
12-13-2002, 05:52 PM
I have no doubt they consider Olivio the starter, I'd prefer a left-handed hitter as the back up.

If they are going to go north with Olivo as their starter I pity the pitching staff.

idseer
12-13-2002, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
I pitched this idea about a month ago...we need a veteran backup catcher, we have ties to Alomar...there ya go

as long as his cost is reasonable, i think it's not a bad idea either. he'd also most likely be a good bat off the bench.

joecrede
12-13-2002, 06:21 PM
If they are going to go north with Olivo as their starter I pity the pitching staff.

Granted, Olivio looks to be rough around the edges defensively, but he appears to be a pretty good athlete with a good arm. Calling a game will come from the bench just as with any rookie catcher. I don't think he will have a negative effect on the staff.

Daver
12-13-2002, 06:29 PM
Granted, Olivio looks to be rough around the edges defensively, but he appears to be a pretty good athlete with a good arm. Calling a game will come from the bench just as with any rookie catcher. I don't think he will have a negative effect on the staff.

Staging the infeild is an integral part of calling the game,more so than calling pitches in,and if you don't think infeild positioning in situational hitting is not important to the pitching staff,then I have to say you are dead wrong.

Olivo's defensive skills are better than Mark Johnson's,and Josh Paul has no business being a catcher in an MLB uniform.

Bobby Thigpen
12-13-2002, 06:31 PM
Please, dear God no. I don't care if they bring back Mike Lavalliere. Please just don't bring back the most overrated catcher in the history of baseball. He can't hit anymore, he never could run, and he won't be able to handle a staff because he'll be hurt 75% of the time. If the Sox bring back Alomar they might as well open up a whole and dump money in it. Heck the hole may even play more than Alomar.

Daver
12-13-2002, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
Heck the hole may even play more than Alomar.

Perhaps KW could sign the Ghost of Thurman Munson?

Bobby Thigpen
12-13-2002, 06:38 PM
I think we'd be better off signing that hole those kids on the Tom Emanski videos throw into. At least it would be able to show up everyday. :)

joecrede
12-13-2002, 06:41 PM
Staging the infeild is an integral part of calling the game,more so than calling pitches in,and if you don't think infeild positioning in situational hitting is not important to the pitching staff,then I have to say you are dead wrong.

I don't question the importance of that, but it can be done from the bench.

Daver
12-13-2002, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
I think we'd be better off signing that hole those kids on the Tom Emanski videos throw into. At least it would be able to show up everyday.

That is actually a garbage can,I'm sure that could be fit into the Sox budget.

Paulwny
12-13-2002, 06:44 PM
As much as I dislike Girardi I think he'd be a better fit then Alomar.
One of the big reasons the yankmees kept him was to be Posada's instructor and I think he's looking for a position as a coach when he retires.
Although he can't hit he may be have a stabilizing effect on the young guns.

hose
12-13-2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
As much as I dislike Girardi I think he'd be a better fit then Alomar.
One of the big reasons the yankmees kept him was to be Posada's instructor and I think he's looking for a position as a coach when he retires.
Although he can't hit he may be have a stabilizing effect on the young guns.

I like Sandy but his knees can't hold up. Girardi would be a good fit for the Sox.

Both Alomar and Girardi should have a future in coaching at some level.

Olivo could pick up some good pointers from either one of these two.

jeremyb1
12-13-2002, 07:08 PM
AS a backup catcher Alomar should work fine....I think the fact that they are wanting to bring him back means they thought he was a good influence of the club

and we trust kw's judgement on who's good in the clubhouse after some of the stuff he's pulled? i sure don't. i really disliked alomar in his time here. i didn't think he offered anything other than above average offense for a catcher which isn't what we need. we need someone who really knows what he's doing and really knows the game and i don't get the impression alomar fits that bill from his time here. his cera was significantly higher than mj's.

Foulke You
12-13-2002, 07:15 PM
Don't know if this has been mentioned but in yesterday's Sun-Times, Doug Padilla's column said that the Sox were looking at 2 ex Sox catchers to possibly fill the veteran catcher role. Jorge Fabregas and Chad Krueter. Greg Myers was also mentioned as another possibility. So add those 3 names to the Alomar pot and it is looking like Olivo will be duking it out with Josh Paul in ST for the other catcher spot.

OfficerKarkovice
12-13-2002, 07:33 PM

How do you figure?

Daver
12-13-2002, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
How do you figure?

Everyone knows Miguel is not ready,so if this happens he will start the year in Charlotte,and there is no way Sandy can catch more than half time,so Josh would be the starter for most of the games.

NewyorkSoxFan
12-13-2002, 08:30 PM
A few months ago I suggested Girardi and everyone laughed me out of here. Now it seems like a viable option. Who would you rather have JP or Girardi. I know he can't hit a lick, but he handles pitchers well, and is a solid defender.

His throwing isn't as good as when he was here in pinstripes, but Torre still thinks he is one of the smartest catchers in the game.

NYSF

Jerry_Manuel
12-13-2002, 08:35 PM

Couldn't they just let Nossek call the pitches?

RichH55
12-13-2002, 08:35 PM
That is actually a garbage can,I'm sure that could be fit into the Sox budget.

They are on sale at Target this week.......Hit about as well as Mark Johnson as well

RichH55
12-13-2002, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
and we trust kw's judgement on who's good in the clubhouse after some of the stuff he's pulled? i sure don't. i really disliked alomar in his time here. i didn't think he offered anything other than above average offense for a catcher which isn't what we need. we need someone who really knows what he's doing and really knows the game and i don't get the impression alomar fits that bill from his time here. his cera was significantly higher than mj's.

The Alomars in general are respected around the baseball community, especially for their "baseball knowledge"....I think Robbie still practices bunting the ball foul in order to get infielders to move. I have no qualms with signing Alomar on the cheap

RichH55
12-13-2002, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by NewyorkSoxFan
A few months ago I suggested Girardi and everyone laughed me out of here. Now it seems like a viable option. Who would you rather have JP or Girardi. I know he can't hit a lick, but he handles pitchers well, and is a solid defender.

His throwing isn't as good as when he was here in pinstripes, but Torre still thinks he is one of the smartest catchers in the game.

NYSF

I also have no problem with Girardi coming here either

Daver
12-13-2002, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Couldn't they just let Nossek call the pitches?

I already answered that in this thread.

Jerry_Manuel
12-13-2002, 08:42 PM
I already answered that in this thread.

Oh.

Viva Magglio
12-13-2002, 09:01 PM
I'd like to see Sandy's little brother come here, but that probably isn't in our team's best interests. Starting pitching is.

RKMeibalane
12-13-2002, 09:23 PM
:KW

"Actually, when I said that we've contacted Sandy Alomar, I was referring to Sandy Alomar Sr. We are trying to replace that 'veteran presence' we lost when Royce Clayton was cut."

jeremyb1
12-13-2002, 09:52 PM
The Alomars in general are respected around the baseball community, especially for their "baseball knowledge"....I think Robbie still practices bunting the ball foul in order to get infielders to move. I have no qualms with signing Alomar on the cheap

its not as much general baseball knowledge. i guess i'd give sandy some credit for doing that but in terms of really knowing pitchers and knowing how to call i good game i think he's lacking. if mark johnson who is 27 is having more success with the pitchers than sandy who's 35 or so i think thats an indication that he's not the most knowledgable catcher out there. also, his defense certainly isn't above average and i think you could make a pretty good claim its subpar.